Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I've gone native

Car reaper, really, really like your car. You have pm!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #721 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Thanks for the input guys, still looking but might buy this in the meantime to scratch da itch.
Mark, I'd buy your car in a second for 45, tell that to your wife!
C
I am just catching up.

Always good to hear that there is a potential buyer out there. I am a contract support guy for the navy so these days you never know when you are going to have to liquidate everything and move to live under a bridge!

I was able to get out to the local PCA Cars N Kaffee in Melbourne. Wow! A lot of beautiful cars out there. Another offer to buy the beast from one of the local PCA'ers. If I got it correct, I also met Kilodawg who is our local PCA President.

I couldn't figure out who manufactured my air dam. I did not think that it is a RUF Air Dam. I was going through the start of the thread and saw this photo extracted from an old PCA Article in 1988. The Air Dam in the photo is the same as mine so I am thinking that it was a Porsche Special Werks part that RUF used to do my car for UltraSmith in 1986.

Mine with the fog lamps out:

The article:

Does that make sense?

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #722 (permalink)

Yours looks to have the contours of the factory piece rather than the RUF piece. Have you looked at other 930S front spoilers for comparison? So one time I don't show up to the yacht club kaffee and there is another slant there??? Lol
Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #723 (permalink)
I've gone native

Your looks like the porsche part, not quiet the same as the blue one I was looking at last week(Allen Johnson conversion 87).
I have a line on yet another black 505!
Blue car
Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #724 (permalink)
I've gone native

Actually, yours is similar to car reapers ruf Germany conversion
Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #725 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Yours looks to have the contours of the factory piece rather than the RUF piece. Have you looked at other 930S front spoilers for comparison? So one time I don't show up to the yacht club kaffee and there is another slant there??? Lol
I was looking for you!

We should be at the Christmas Party.

I think that it is a Factory Spoiler as well. Not RUF and pre- Factory 505. It was done in '86 straight off of the truck from Pittsburgh to Manhattan for the conversion. I have the original sticker from the dealer in Pitt and records from Exclusive Motors (RUF N.A.)doing the service after they did the conversion. I wish that I could find original brochures from Ultrasmith from that era.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #726 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
................snipped..........................
I couldn't figure out who manufactured my air dam. I did not think that it is a RUF Air Dam. I was going through the start of the thread and saw this photo extracted from an old PCA Article in 1988. The Air Dam in the photo is the same as mine so I am thinking that it was a Porsche Special Werks part that RUF used to do my car for UltraSmith in 1986.

Mine with the fog lamps out:

Mark,
That's the same front spoiler as mine. Special Wishes option. Do you have the Porsche oil cooler behind the grill and the oil lines running through the front of the bonnet?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #727 (permalink)

Garage
It does have the front mounted oil cooler. I believe that the lines run along the right hand side to the front and back like a stock oil cooler. They are just longer to get to the front of the car vice just to the right front fender.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #728 (permalink)

Garage
Slant Nose help... barn find

All, I am new to this forum, but after browsing this thread, I'm clearly in the right place for some guidance. I have been in the hunt for a project 911, but have recently come to find a 930 slant nose in a barn. Here are some details:

Mfg date 8/83, Euro spec (ZZZ in VIN). Given to widow's husband as debt payment. Has not run in 2 yrs. less that 10k on the odo.

There are some pretty gnarly rust spots around the f/r windshield. Rockers look ok. floor pan looks ok. paint seems to original. Some rust around the headlights.

Car came to US via Columbia... I'm betting this car has some interesting previous owners.

No paperwork or history from the widow. Interior is rough.

Questions:

- Is there a way to find who did the conversion since the factory 505/506 option was not available until later?
- What else do I need to go back and look at?
- Are these conversions worth putting time/money into restoring?
- How tough/expensive is it to repair the rust around windshield?
- What kind of value would you put on a car in this condition/not running?

This thread has been REALLY helpful. The car is really cool and I'd like to make her a fair offer if the value is there. Thank you!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #729 (permalink)

Garage
Wow!

That is in pretty rough shape.

It is really hard, if not impossible, to figure out who did the original work converting it without the paperwork. You can figure out who did not do it though. You can ask Porsche if it was a special works car or RUF can verify if they did it. Most of the tuners that did that kind of work have long since gone the way of the dinosour and the information with them. You can verify whether OEM Parts were used as well. That is about it.

Looks like a lot of work but if you are handy with a wrench then I suppose it will make a great ground up restoration. If you are paying someone to do it......oooooof! There could easily be $30k worth of motor rebuild/paint body work/ interior/ electrical going on there

Good Luck.

Mark

Old 12-07-2013, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #730 (permalink)

That intake manifold looks like Jarvis' work.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #731 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Judging from that photo alone, it looks as though the bonnet had experienced a fire originating from the fresh air fan area? Look at the highlighted area in your photo. Looks like things got a little hot there.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #732 (permalink)

Garage
Great stuff...thank you!

I'm going to get more pics when the weather is good. If the project is worth the effort, I plan on doing a good bit of the work myself. That being said, if I put $30k into it plus the cost of the car, is there value on the other side? I'm looking for something the keep as a project for my son and I, but I don't want a money pit.

Am I wrong to be concerned about the rust around windscreen? Seems like that would be a huge pain and expensive to fix. What else should be I looking for?

I'm thinking this car, as she sits, is maybe worth $15k?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #733 (permalink)

Does anyone know where to find the fog light lens replacements. I cannot seem to find them.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 12-08-2013, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #734 (permalink)
I've gone native

I saw some on fleabay recently.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #735 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox88 View Post
CAVEAT EMPTOR !

This current ebay offering is a hoot! Get out a new legal pad if you're writing down the misrepresentations. Aside from the obvious mistakes in the description copy, the video is a true classic in the number of bogus comments made by the obviously misinformed sales manager (and supported by an enthusiastic camera man assistant). Of course the most glaring problem is that the car is NOT a genuine factory made Slantnose in spite of the apparent presence of several factory components.

The sales manager definitely sounds convinced that the car is authentic by his frequent references to a number of verifiable clues provided by two local "PCA experts" (a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing). His persuasive sales pitch will be of little consolation to the unsuspecting purchaser when he/she learns the truth about his/her "real factory built" Slantnose Turbo. Note the dealership's warranty paragraph where it holds itself harmless from any and all misrepresentations:
"The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith."

Link to ebay listing/ video:
Porsche : 911 2dr Coupe 4- in Porsche | eBay Motors
How could you tell this was not a Factory Slant Nose. He had me fooled.

James
Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #736 (permalink)
Repidodave

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Yes, all things being equal,a 505/6 is always worth more.
Yea, those of us that paid dearly for a factory 505 think so.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #737 (permalink)
I've gone native

Yes I know, I had one.....
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #738 (permalink)

Hi gang,
I think I will try this here first.
My neighbor has a 1988 Porsche 930S Turbo - factory slant 505 code, custom factory color-venetian blue, linen interior with 35,942 original miles. I b
He has some crap going on in his business right now and feels maybe he needs to sell this car. He doesn't have time right now and asked if I would put out feelers since he knows I am active in the Porsche community.
I don't think you will steal this car but I think he will be fair in price.
If you are interested you can pm me and I will give you his contact information.
Thanks,
Chuck
79 911SC
Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #739 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas911 View Post
hi gang,
i think i will try this here first.
My neighbor has a 1988 porsche 930s turbo - factory slant 505 code, custom factory color-venetian blue, linen interior with 35,942 original miles. I b
he has some crap going on in his business right now and feels maybe he needs to sell this car. He doesn't have time right now and asked if i would put out feelers since he knows i am active in the porsche community.
I don't think you will steal this car but i think he will be fair in price.
If you are interested you can pm me and i will give you his contact information.
Thanks,
chuck
pm sent!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #740 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: