Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Blackbird Pilot

911 Slider Lexan Windows - Fixed Style

Does anyone run the fixed style slider windows in carbon or fiberglass doors from GT Racing/MA Shaw/Getty Design?

Do they glue in the door frame or is there space to flush mount them and use rivnuts to attach?

Help me out guys, pics appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Here is a picture of Geoffery's 964 (spelling, I should be able to spell his name but I am stupid this morning).

You get the EVO doors straight from the real source- Getty, the owner Mark will custom make them however thick you want. The cheap ones start at $1000 for the coremat, which is just as good as the more expensive foamcore, it just weighs a couple more pounds total.

You get glue in windows from Spectre. Scott at Spectre claims that he has a slightly different window for the right and left side because they are slightly different apparently.

I know Spectre has a mixed reputation, but they have this particular product and provide it to GT Racing/TRE.

Geoffery made his own windows with regular lexan which is what you see in this picture, so you can go that route and cut your own lexan.

The Getty door has a lip all around it that you can drill into any way you want and screw in the windows. If you glue in the windows you just have to be aware that unless you run some sort of trim tape around the edges you will see the glue blobs through the window, if you catch what I mean. It will be somewhat obvious you glued in the window, in other words.

Maybe you can use a really clear glue. Jack Olsen used some chrome trim sticky tape around the edges of his lexan rear window to hide where he used screws, and it looks natural.

Last edited by DDDD; 12-28-2008 at 06:55 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This is the actual window he made out of lexan.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

I also studied up on lexan rear windows and side windows.

These are spectre products, and apparently are far easier to install than the Getty flush mount quarters and rear window according to David at TRE.

Last edited by DDDD; 12-28-2008 at 06:52 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Last picture....Jack Olsen's rear window, with a piece of chrome tape hiding the fasteners.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Are lexan side windows DOT legal?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

I don't think this is what you're looking for, but...

I'got a pair of Getty CF doors. They are of stock design (they must be to make the car street legal her in Denmark. My plan is to make a fixed window-slider kit solution.

What I think I'm gonna do, is glue the Lexan windows (got those as well) in the stock frame with some standard window glue.

The slider kit I think I will buy from these guys:

http://www.plastics4performance.co.uk/pop_image.asp?image=sliderwindows2

Merry X-mas

Jesper
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Is that BB1 or BB2?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP View Post
Is that BB1 or BB2?
BB2. BB1 was a narrow body configuration. How is the car running Zach? I tell you I miss that Monty muffler. I bought a single out as the Zork was too loud. (you were right ) and it is just not the same.

JP
‘55 Belair
‘40 Ford pickup
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Are lexan side windows DOT legal?
No, but neither are the doors I am guessing...

One reason you hide the fasteners is to avoid attention, IMO.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Well I plan on having the lexan painted in a 2" bead all around the window frame for the rear quarters, doors and rear window and use black riv nuts so it won't be very apparent at all.

I plan on using rivnuts and a sealant to get it to be water tight and more importantly air tight. Althought I might just end up not using rivnuts if there is a good enough expoy sealant around.

Thanks for the replies and info guys! This is the look i'm going for just with a slider in the window:
Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

DDDD: Did Dave from TRE say to get the flush mount trim from Spektr as well or just the lexan?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrfan View Post
BB2. BB1 was a narrow body configuration. How is the car running Zach? I tell you I miss that Monty muffler. I bought a single out as the Zork was too loud. (you were right ) and it is just not the same.

JP

JP,

Funny you say that because Ed Bighi on the boards has the single out too and our cars next to each other are just different. My car has been running really good and eating modded 997tt's for lunch. How is your beast doing? You should make it down to AZ for some events, we aren't that far!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
DDDD: Did Dave from TRE say to get the flush mount trim from Spektr as well or just the lexan?
You should get it through David at TRE, he will give you the exact same package deal as spectre, and it will help both businesses instead of just spectre. I know David will also answer all your questions and give you alternatives to spectre when there is a better way...

To answer your question, the EVO doors come from Getty but the quarter window frame and rear window frame from spectre is a better design because the install is extremely easy where as with the getty quarter and rear flush mounts, you have to gerry rig the thing yourself, it takes all day to install.

And yes the lexan window pieces that David likes are from spectre for that particular application as they are designed with those frame in mind. Getty doesn't sell lexan to go with their doors and the spectre product is tailored to the differences between the right and left doors. Or at least that is what they say!

Hey, I was thinking of using those rear quarter windows myself with the louvres, we are researching this stuff simultaneously, which is pretty cool.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP View Post
JP,

Funny you say that because Ed Bighi on the boards has the single out too and our cars next to each other are just different. My car has been running really good and eating modded 997tt's for lunch. How is your beast doing? You should make it down to AZ for some events, we aren't that far!
Zach,
the car is on jackstands getting all new suspension, turbo, headers, wastegate, starter and wheels/tires. I will post lots of pics when she is back on the road and try to head down your way at some point. Truly LOVE the way your car came out after the repaint. Just beautiful.

Sorry about the hijack Gabe - Your car is an inspiration for many of us here who are living vicariously through you.

JP
‘55 Belair
‘40 Ford pickup
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Gabe,

Don't know if your going for Max weight savings or not but from what I've
read it sounds like you will be driving on the street some. Why wouldn't you
purchase the lexan, heat and form it over the original glass to get the correct
curve and cut to size. Then install it with the original seals and trim. In the
doors Install the Lexan in the original frames and put stops in the track to keep
the windows tight to the top. Give you the Lexan you want, still save 45 lbs.
over glass, a lot less wind noise, and stock look. Don't mean to butt in here,
just a suggestion if your going to street it much.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 12-31-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

DDDD: Thanks for the info on the frames and such I'll get in contact with Dave and get things set up And on the quarter windows with louvers - IMHO they're just too cool to live without.

JP: Don't worry buddy - all my threads seem to turn into random info sharing and story telling and I love it! I'm so far behind so many of you on the information side of things its great to always be able to get so much information so quickly. We're all having a blast here and its only going to get better!

cole930: the goal is that she'll be more of a street car than a track car but with the overall build the idea is to capture that raw unadulterated pure 935 race car feel in a road going car. I dig cars you have to wear ear plugs in to bear the noise, when you have to be a gymnist to get into the car etc. when you need an intercom to speak to the person next to you...

I'm hoping we can seal the carbon doors and lexan windows up pretty well while at the same time loose a ton of weight from the top of the car. Yes I know I still have my sun roof, but what can I say - I do a lot of slow driving around town.

We'll see how it goes for this route and if its too terrible I'll put the steel doors back on. I figure if I'm going to run lexan I might as well run carbon doors as well. And THANKS for your input - you're never "butting in" in my world. Suggestions always welcome!

And Happy New Year Guys!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
mine was fixed whit the fasteners included in the kit
Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Now that's a 996 with some soul! Awesome.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Gabe,

Don't know if your going for Max weight savings or not but from what I've
read it sounds like you will be driving on the street some. Why wouldn't you
purchase the lexan, heat and form it over the original glass to get the correct
curve and cut to size. Then install it with the original seals and trim. In the
doors Install the Lexan in the original frames and put stops in the track to keep
the windows tight to the top. Give you the Lexan you want, still save 45 lbs.
over glass, a lot less wind noise, and stock look. Don't mean to butt in here,
just a suggestion if your going to street it much.

Cole
This is a good way to go, the only thing I have heard is that you are better off getting the preshaped rear and door roll up windows because a good fit is vital. Quarter windows and such you can definitely DYI.

In order to complete the door however you want to remove the window regulator and use a leather strap to hold your window either down or up. Big weight savings.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Thanks guys - if i'm going to run lexan I ain't stickin' with steel doors for me its all or nothing and i'll report how it works out on a 20 plus hour road trip.

The wife unit will be the true test as she's going to be riding shot gun the whole way...haha poor girl

Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: