Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Long time coming! My 930

I have been lurking around this site now for a couple of years and a I am still amazed at the vast amounts of information and all the great folks willing to help out when a fellow Pelican needs it...

Having said all that, I wanted to formally introduce my new baby to the 930 board.

Its a 1987 911 Turbo and I bought it to get out of my IROC build...one of those times your wife makes a suggestion and you run for the checkbook The car has 117K+ miles and is destined to be an ongoing project for me to tinker with and enjoy the crap out of.

The 3.3 was massaged a bit with a bigger intercooler (which I already want to go bigger) EFI conversion with carrera intake, and Motec m48 with wideband lambda and a bunch of other goodies. When i got it 7 weeks ago, it had a K27 7006 turbo which was dumping oil into the IC and I decided i'd start on the slippery slope of upgrading/modifying the car. So I ordered a gt30r which I sent back and then a K27 HyFlow S which i just installed this weekend. I'm already a few hours into studying the motec software v6.2 for the M48 and I never knew the complexities of an EFI setup....but I love it and i'm neck deep now so there's no turning back.

here are a few pics of the new arrival.

87 911 Turbo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Infidel

Seams like a lot has been done for you already! Do you have a build sheet for the engine? Congrats on the purchase
Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Great looking car. Sounds like most of the essentials are already taken care of too, been on a dyno yet?

Anyone know when they switched the 3rd brake light from the engine cover to the window? My '87 is in the window.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Sounds like good buy. Congratulations!

Last edited by A930Rocket; 01-21-2009 at 08:45 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That intercooler looks pretty good to me, you probably don't need to go bigger.

The car looks well sorted! Good ride height.

Have you taken any fast corners yet?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations! If you have data logging and an IAT sensor you car check the effectiveness of the IC
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If those are the Fiske (fm-10?) wheels, they are just about the lightest wheels you can get in that size.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

One word.....SWEET!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great looking car Einar! Welcome!
What rims are on it? I have the exact rims (I believe) and cannot accurately source them.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Guys, Thanks for the kind words...

JBL930 - I didn't get a build sheet with the car....the PO threw lots of money at it and neglected it...when i got it the valves were so loose i thought it was going to explode....the oil consumption was crazy, but the compression was consistent and the other goodies on the car I was taking a gamble, but I didn't want a cherry garage queen either. Pretty sure the internals stock 3.3, and i noticed a little pitting on one of the cam lobes while I was adjusting the valves, so I plan on a rebuild in the not too distant future. With some of thelocal guys on this board helping out like David (125shifter) i'm sure the rebuild will get the attention to details required to make some nice HP.

DDDD - Yes the wheels are FM10's...pretty sure they're 8.5 and 10.5 x 17's no fast corners yet as I've only got about 100miles in the car and I have yet to put my fingers on all the nuts and bolts to verify its all tight and good to go.

SCHNELE - I would love to know more about the Motec tuning...I'm sure an entire new thread could be started on that.... I wish i could find a motec tuning class for rookies.

Again..thanks for the warm welcome!

Einar

87 911 Turbo
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Infidel

Well if you have to go in there soon I guess it doesn't matter much. The fact that you have a vast amount of the big stuff already in place is a huge bonus, a set of strong rods, raceware studs and bolts, head sealing along with other head work and some tuning and you'll have a beast.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
You are in good company with David(125shifter) being local to you I am sure David can pull your data files from your ECU.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

MN

Garage
Congrats!!!! very nice!! Looks very sim to mine.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Congratulations! If you have data logging and an IAT sensor you car check the effectiveness of the IC
I got the data file from the M48 and made a working copy so I don't mess up the running program. I have dug around in the various charts/graphs in v6.2 software and looked at the data log in the interpreter.... I do have an AT sensor (just happens to be on the intercooler versus the piping just before the throttle body....I planned to move my AT sensor to the piping for more accurate measurement of intake temps)...this sounds like a great opportunity to put an IAT sensor in the AT sensors spot and have 2 measures available?

In hooking up all the connections while installing the new turbo, I also noted that the MAP sensor and blow off valve on the IC are "Y" connected off of the same vacumm port... Is this ideal or should the MAP sensor and blow off valve be on seperate vacumm ports... any suggestions on how to correct this or if its even necessary.

I have lots more to learn about the motec system and its apparent that its a steep learning curve.

87 911 Turbo
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

HelmetHead..

Congrats on your purchase..! Looks like you picked-up a nice toy with a lot of the hard work and $$ already done!

I remember when you were dumping the project car and had it advertised. Always good to move fast when the wife has blessed the future purchase.

Enjoy the boost!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
always good to move fast when the wife has blessed the future purchase.

Enjoy the boost!
amen!

87 911 Turbo
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Beautiful car and great choice of mods! How are you planning to run an even larger intercooler? Where is your A\C condensor (removed or relocated?)

Yasin
Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Yasin,
The condensor is mounted under the car (not ideal imho)...its like 3'x4' and the a/c gets brrrr...cold! Is a huge limiting factor in how low i can slam the car and also is a concern when driving over say speed bumps...

The intercooler may not be too small...I guess its premature for me to make that assumption as its in the 40's outside....we'll see what a Houston summer day does to the temps.

87 911 Turbo
Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Well, I've been lurking in the shadows building up a new motor.. I discovered broken rings in 4 of 6 cylinders and decided i'd jump in.

I've increased displacement to 3.4 (punched out 3.2's) and put in some Mahle 7:1 pistons. ARP hardware and Dougherty 964 cams coupled with the K27HF should make for some fun.

Here's a pic of the motor currently. I'm looking for some aluminum piping to plumb the intercooler in to the throttle body so I can get it up and running again and will most likely be building a new Bell core'd IC in the not so distant future.

87 911 Turbo
Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
How did you discover the broken ring? Smoke? Low compression / leakdown? Or only when you opened it?

Don't have a turbo but interested in getting one, but it seemed broken rings are a common problem with maxed out or improperly tuned engines leading to detonation.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: