Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My Slope Nose arrived.... now the questions start !

My 87 911 came in last night. Car is a Non Turbo , but many of my questions are specific to a slope nose car, as i have had 4 other um " regular "911's already.

i hope my questions are allowed here.

car is all steel, seems the fenders are stamped. there is a oil cooler in the front nose of the car. i think it has a Porsche part number on it.

hence my first question: where is it supposed to be on a non turbo ( slope nose) car?

my reading on here has suggested only Euro cars had the 930S nose with an oil cooler up front. USA ( real turbo) cars had the oil cooler in the right rear fender.

old news to you guys i know. so where is a non turbo wide body, Slope Nose car "supposed" to have the oil cooler?

i will take some pics, when i can get under the car ( its really low!)

next question: yes, i am sure its a conversion. dealer? good shop? bad shop? i have no idea.

is there any way to narrow down who did the car by the parts, or the methods used?

my question: WHERE THE HECK.. is the headlight motor(s)? left headlight comes on, but it does not go up. i did not see a center mounted motor, but i need to get all the junk out of the bonnet area. there are no access doors cut into the fenders from the inside. looks like you remove the front wheels , to gain access to the buckets???? fun!

My rear vent / ducts have really well made, sheet metal brake ducts that look, old, and " factory". is this good? bad? normal?

I am trying to determine if this was a " good conversion" or a hack job. dont see any welds on the rear steel flares. they were " well done" to my untrained Porsche eye. i do work in Aerospace, and i know " a bit " about sheet metal.

Summary question : what benchmarks do you gentlemen use to figure the quality of the car?

my punch list so far: 4 tires, all fluids, all filters, valve adjust, inspect brakes, steering, suspension, do a bulb , fuse and relay sweep ( replace as needed). also a full tune up, and fuel injection/ fuel system flush and clean.

ps, my rocker extensions are missing the end caps at the rear. where in the world can i find them, and are all of the cars different?

i think my rockers are steel. will confirm tomorrow for the thread.

Thanks for any help, advice, or just plain ole gearhead conversation!

Michael
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

F*king niiiiiiiiice! Two new black 930S guys in a matter of days! Great to have you here.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Your headlight that have no center motor most likely have two 944 headlight motors running each of the headlight buckets...you have to get into the bonnet and look behind the buckets to see the motors. No oil cooler in the passenger rear wheel well means is consistent with aftermarket conversions...and oil cooler is up front....not like the original configuration. Rocker extension caps are just plastic inserts and are cheap replacements...dont' worry about them as long as you have the jackports on each side. Rear ducts without oil cooler are just for looks and have no functional objective. They're probably just sealed off.

Go to this linx and see what a REAL slantnose that's been meticulously maintained and restored looks like...I use it as my benchmark to see what I need to do with mine:

Rennlist Member Gallery :: 1989 Factory Slantnose

Best of luck with your new car.

Chuck
Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great looking pair. Do you live in Savannah?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

most of the steel conversions have mazda motors connected to the linkage. You have to remove the front tire to get acess to the motor. There might or might not be a fender liner to remove once you get the tire off. the motor should be the same as for a Mazda RX -7 late 80's. Also the wiring diagram from those will tell you what coclor goes to what. I Have one i found someplace on the internet for mine some where at home. might take a few days to find though.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben parrish View Post
Great looking pair. Do you live in Savannah?
yep, been with General Dynamics for 12 years.

thanks for the replies, sorry for some of the bonehead questions, these cars are rare, real or conversion!

the headlights will be the first thing i tackle asap! i have not driven the car yet , will do an assessment when this nasty weather clears up.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
Your headlight that have no center motor most likely have two 944 headlight motors running each of the headlight buckets...you have to get into the bonnet and look behind the buckets to see the motors. No oil cooler in the passenger rear wheel well means is consistent with aftermarket conversions...and oil cooler is up front....not like the original configuration. Rocker extension caps are just plastic inserts and are cheap replacements...dont' worry about them as long as you have the jackports on each side. Rear ducts without oil cooler are just for looks and have no functional objective. They're probably just sealed off.

Go to this linx and see what a REAL slantnose that's been meticulously maintained and restored looks like...I use it as my benchmark to see what I need to do with mine:

Rennlist Member Gallery :: 1989 Factory Slantnose

Best of luck with your new car.

Chuck
thanks for the link!

i did look into my rear wheel wells, and the ducts go right to the brake rotors, and are open and functional. they look original, and i thought they were a neat touch, on a poser non turbo street car like mine. even as a conversion.

i am really pleased with the car overall, and am looking to get all the little things fixed properly and the maintenance done.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Porsche Crest Light not coming out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
most of the steel conversions have mazda motors connected to the linkage. You have to remove the front tire to get acess to the motor. There might or might not be a fender liner to remove once you get the tire off. the motor should be the same as for a Mazda RX -7 late 80's. Also the wiring diagram from those will tell you what coclor goes to what. I Have one i found someplace on the internet for mine some where at home. might take a few days to find though.
Michael

Nice looking ride...

Got the same problem on the driver side. Light work on both low/hight beams, but stay down. I could almost hear some "burbing noise" but nothing else.

Now that she is in hibernation, I had a better look on the week-end while fixing a flat tire.

There was 3 bolts and nuts sticking out in the wheel well. I unscrewed the nuts and unplugged two connectors and the whole unit slip out.

As per Ken quote (thanks for the lead), mine look like Japanese as "Nippon" is printed on the lifting actuator.

On my next visit, I'll pug the unit on the passenger side to figure out if it's the light unit or the electrical feeding it (the Babe is an electrical mess).

I did print a thread/article about the wiring and how they work but it's lost somewhere in my basement. I'll look for it tonight.

Have Fun

J.J.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

yes thats a mazda motor you have one of the better conversion kits yours has the round headlights.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
yes thats a mazda motor you have one of the better conversion kits yours has the round headlights.
Ken

Thanks... If I have to replace the actuator, it will probably be cheaper than a Porsche one.

When you find you diagram, I'll be able to use it for sure.

Who says that 60 minutes in the morning going through all the overnight "New Post" is not worthed it??? (maybe my wife...)

As for the conversion, who ever did it dropped quite a few $$$. I got it narrow down to somewhere in Montreal in the late 90's.

Cheers

J.J.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Looks like you live in mid-town. I live on DeRenne Ave./Reynolds St. and I don't think I have ever seen your cars. General Dynamics....Gulfstream. I work at StageFront and we do alot work for you guys ( Quarterly All-Hands meetings...G650 Rollout, etc...). Stll, very nice rides!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysounddog View Post
Looks like you live in mid-town. I live on DeRenne Ave./Reynolds St. and I don't think I have ever seen your cars. General Dynamics....Gulfstream. I work at StageFront and we do alot work for you guys ( Quarterly All-Hands meetings...G650 Rollout, etc...). Stll, very nice rides!!!
hi, i live on the west side.... looking to move even further inland when i can. i dont like the water, or the city !
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Michael

Nice looking ride...

Got the same problem on the driver side. Light work on both low/hight beams, but stay down. I could almost hear some "burbing noise" but nothing else.

Now that she is in hibernation, I had a better look on the week-end while fixing a flat tire.

There was 3 bolts and nuts sticking out in the wheel well. I unscrewed the nuts and unplugged two connectors and the whole unit slip out.

As per Ken quote (thanks for the lead), mine look like Japanese as "Nippon" is printed on the lifting actuator.

On my next visit, I'll pug the unit on the passenger side to figure out if it's the light unit or the electrical feeding it (the Babe is an electrical mess).

I did print a thread/article about the wiring and how they work but it's lost somewhere in my basement. I'll look for it tonight.

Have Fun

J.J.

wow, i have the round lights as well, so that pic is super helpful! thanks so much!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

ps, my rocker extensions are missing the end caps at the rear. where in the world can i find them, and are all of the cars different?

Those end caps for slantnose rocker panels are not plastic inserts nor can they be retro-fitted from a stock 911. They are much larger than the 911 and I have no clue where to get them. It would be a lucky day to have them pop up in the classified section. I had to make my own for my slant.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Uhmm......Not true.

They are the exact same part. I know because I replaced mine with fresh ones after I purchased my car.

Just think about it. The sills meet the end of the forward wheel well and the end of the rear wheel well at the same point they would without a sill extension. You can verify this for yourself by looking up the part numbers in the PET. They are the same.

Here are a couple of pics from my car.

'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)

Last edited by kilodawg; 12-02-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Light Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECARREAPER View Post
wow, i have the round lights as well, so that pic is super helpful! thanks so much!
The easiest part to ID was the light; Bosh H4 12R20 (1 305 603 012).

The relay is a NipponDenso (056700-5950) and thanks to Google I find out that, sure enough, they were fitted on the RX 7.

I can only make out a few number from the motor. Look like 6110? over 02?0.

Time to visit the Mazda dealer... With any luck it could be the relay.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilodawg View Post
Uhmm......Not true.

They are the exact same part. I know because I replaced mine with fresh ones after I purchased my car.

Just think about it. The sills meet the end of the forward wheel well and the end of the rear wheel well at the same point they would without a sill extension. You can verify this for yourself by looking up the part numbers in the PET. They are the same.

Here are a couple of pics from my car.

I got a new factory set sitting on my shelf. They did not fit mine at all, no way, shape or form. There's a lot of shadow in your pictures, so you cannot see the full fit, which is awful.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
The fit is spot on and the parts are the same on the PET.
It may not be the way you would like it to be but it is the way it is. I mean if you just think about the way the rockers are shaped you would realize that where they meet the fender wells they do so the same way whether they are standard rockers or boxed.

Last edited by kilodawg; 12-02-2009 at 06:17 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Let's see I tried to get a better pic for you but it's somewhat out of focus. However, I tried to take it on an angle similar (unfortunately I was a little off) to the "reference standard" red car whose link was posted earlier in this thread.

I think you can see from here that they are indeed the same.

Same part number, same look, same.....

Is you car a factory slant?
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: