Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wer bremst verliert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinsko View Post
I would like to hear more about his setup.

I was told that the kock sensor would require either MAP or MAF along with throttle position, and RPM to be truly effective.
Ray replaced the lambda box with a GM ECU he cracked. It retards the signal to his MSD box. The motor bottom-end is entirely stock and the stock sensors, throttle body are all retained.

You do not need MAP or throttle, just ignition control. After the ECU performs the filtering/amplification and any other adjustments you desire it compares the "knock value" against a pre-determined value or algorithm and modifies the timing appropriately for a number of cycles or time period.

A basic system can simply compare

the knock sensor output, if it exceeds X then it pulls 10 degrees from ignition timing for 1 second, then goes back into "listening" mode.

Professionals who focus on this aspect of engine development can and have developed some very effective and sophisticated systems. I have never done business with him but John sounds like he's put some quality time and thought into it.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

If your Ignition system has Knock control, (can retard timing based upon parameters set by user) then it comes down to fitting a sensor and some sort of signal conditioner.

This is as important as the ECU control. Frequency type, noise level and the ability to distingush between mechanical noise and knock is going to be your issues.

Call Performance Developments 949 646 7461. Ask Neil about the new Link G4 Knock block. They are also very knowledgeable about fitting sensors to the Porsche engine. They have done this many times over and its works really well.

If your ECU will accept an input from the Knock Block, then your set.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m42racer View Post
...Frequency type, noise level and the ability to distingush between mechanical noise and knock is going to be your issues...
Yes, I am still trying to figure out, if this can be done on a 3.3.

BTW, I just read the manual for the XDi2 and it seems that I do have a MAP sensor (I am certain that I do since it is listed on my invoice!!!) and that the device gets a tach signal. So, I have MAP and RPM, but I am still missing throttle position. Hopefully, these two inputs along with knock sensors are enough to do the trick...

I will give Neil a call and get his input.

Cheers.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Pinsko:

The knock sensor connects directly to the XDi-2, so it has internal signal conditioning.

Don't know how well the detector works.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John at J&S View Post
Pinsko:

The knock sensor connects directly to the XDi-2, so it has internal signal conditioning.

Don't know how well the detector works.
Please tell me more about the 'how well it works' issue.

Is it possible to connect your system to the XDi2 and would it do a better job at detecting knock and eliminating false knock detection?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Well, I didn't want to point this out (scroll to the knock sensor section):

Engine Sensors and Tools - Electromotive Engine Controls

Number one, I didn't want to bash another product, and two, the statement may lead people to think knock sensors in general are a waste of time.

The Interceptor could be installed between the XDi-2 box and the Direct Fire Unit (DFU). The Interceptor retards by extending the dwell time, so I would have to check with Electromotive to see if the DFU can handle more dwell.

The Vampire could also be used, but it requires MSD 8870 coil interface modules (spacers) under the coils. These have wires that allow access to the coil+ and coil- signals. The Vampire control wires would then connect to the coil negative signals.

The XDi-2 would continue to do most of the work, and the Vampire kicks in only during the retard event. The Vampire can even be disconnected while the engine is running, and it will continue to run.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I didn't want to point this out (scroll to the knock sensor section):

Engine Sensors and Tools - Electromotive Engine Controls

Number one, I didn't want to bash another product, and two, the statement may lead people to think knock sensors in general are a waste of time.

The Interceptor could be installed between the XDi-2 box and the Direct Fire Unit (DFU). The Interceptor retards by extending the dwell time, so I would have to check with Electromotive to see if the DFU can handle more dwell.

The Vampire could also be used, but it requires MSD 8870 coil interface modules (spacers) under the coils. These have wires that allow access to the coil+ and coil- signals. The Vampire control wires would then connect to the coil negative signals.

The XDi-2 would continue to do most of the work, and the Vampire kicks in only during the retard event. The Vampire can even be disconnected while the engine is running, and it will continue to run.
John,

can you point out in layman's term how and what your system does better?

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The two features I mentioned above (knock window and load qualifier) are easily implemented with a micro processor, but did Electromotive include them?

There are a few other features of my algorithm that are more important than those two, but I won't go into it for reasons stated in an earlier post.

I ran across a description of the Bosch system last year and was surprised at the similarity. I conceived and implemented the main feature of my detector in 1984 while working as a tech at Hughes Aircraft.

I've been at it a long time, but so have others. I recently ran across this Ford patent from 1983 with similar features:
Adaptive cylinder by cylinder knock ... - Google Patent Search

From the dates I have mentioned, one might think this is old worthless technology, easily surpassed by anything released in the last ten years. But try to find an aftermarket controller that does individual cylinder knock control or ignores false knock as well as this one. You will have to go stand alone ECU such as MoTeC and Autronic, and they didn't have it until last year.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Electromotive says the coil drivers are inside the XDI-2 box, so Vampire is the correct unit for your application.

It would connect to the ABC wires, so no MSD 8870's are required.

As far as reliability issues, I have one guy with a 944 and TEC-III that has been using one for two years. His installation required the 8870's because in the TEC-III, the ignition transistors and computer are in the same module.

For dual plug with two DFU's, you would need a six channel Vampire.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I have the 944 turbo with the Tec 3 and I use the J&S safe guard. I ran this combo for two years and am convinced it is a great system for any car that is turbocharged. I have gotten bad gas on the street and prior to the J&S heard audible knock. After installing the J&S If I was getting into any detonation above the set limit, I would get a knock indication on the led I put up in a gauge pod on the A pillar.

My car is a three litre and was a combo street/ track car. With the J&S system I was able to use the factory knock sensor which is tuned to the engine by Porsche and I also had a GM knock sensor hooked to the TEC 3 which could be datalogged. Even though the TEC 3 has provisions for knock control, the GM sensor was too sensitive to the mechanical noises inherent in the 944T engine with two balance shafts and the overhead cam.

After installing the J&S system and setting the system up, and having a good tune, I never had an audible indication of knock, but on occasion the J&S light would flicker a bit indication it was cutting timing. I really couldn't feel it and I never saw any indication on my EGTs (four cylinder) that would indicate it was cutting timing enough to raise EGT.

Two years and twenty thousand miles with excellent oil analysis results, no oil consumption and great looking plug readings tell me this has been a good addition to a high performance engine.

The only problem I ever had with the system is that the connectors in the MSD 8870 got a bit loose and I was getting a random loss of ignition usually corresponding with hard braking into a turn or on hitting a dip. Found the problem by taking it apart checking the connectors, tightened them up a bit and after that it was back to normal.

Hope this helps as a completely objective assessment of my results.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Correction: The Interceptor cannot be used with the XDI-2. The Vampire must be used. It's also an easier install.

Drawing for Vampire to XDI-2 with one DFU:

Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Pinsko:

Have you played with knock sensors on your XDI-2 yet?

John
Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

not yet. I finally picked up my car today and will drive it a few hundred miles before it goes back for final dyno tuning.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: