Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to mrtImpreza
Problem with 930. Urgent please help!!!

Over the winter on a nice day, I decided to start up my car and let it run for a little bit. She started up with no problem and when I took it out of the garage and got out of the car, it just died. So I got back into it and tried starting it back up but would not turn over. The battery has plenty of juice and can hear the fuel pump kick on. It's just weird that she started right up and then out of nowhere just stalled out. What could it be? Any help would be great cause I am dying to take her out with this beautiful weather finally back. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Well sounds electrical.. Does it try to turn over ? First thing I'd do is check the voltage on the starter and solenoid.. Could be a connection. Rarely does a car stop then not turn over, those are two seperate issues
Todd
PS it's customary to post a pic (even of a car that doesn't run!).. Year and mods would help too!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the car cranks, it's just seems like it's starving for fuel but I checked the fuse and relay and the voltage is good and the fuse has continuity.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If your fuel pumps are running then it seems unlikely that your starving for fuel during the starting phase.

Do you have spark?

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

yeah I have spark. It just seems like a fuel problem cause it started no problem, ran for about a minute then died. Now it has a strong crank but won't turn over.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
R.I.P.

not being mean, but does the car have gas in it? you mentioned it has been sitting.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Haha... Yeah it does have fuel but I was having a problem with my lawnmower not running but come to find out, it had no fuel. I felt like an idiot but glad that's all set. Now just gotta get the car goin.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok so you have spark (meaning you've pulled a plug and have seen it right ?).
And it turns over when you crank it.
Next I would make sure that there's no vacuum leaks redily evident ,, My car often won't start if the hose that connects the wastegate to the intercooler is off ( a common one).

The next thing I'd do is remove the air filter so you can push the throttle metering plate down That will start the pumps and essentially "prime" the system. Do that for a few seconds and see if it starts.. If not, check a spark plug it should be wet from gas,,

99.9% of the time it's either gas or spark..
Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
it's the other .1% thats the *****

just for a quick once over

1) key on, air filter off, push down on plunger... hear fuel pumps?

2) pull plug wire from plug, stick long screw driver into plug boot and lay across something metal and grounded, have friend crank engine while you check for spark

3) pop the dizzy cap off, have same friend crank engine and make sure the rotor is turning
Old 04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Make sure both fuel pumps are running.
Check the red fuel pump relays in the front.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Alright I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and hopefully I can get some answers.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

This happened to me once and a friend rotate the long skinny fuse (not the round one) that use for fuel pumps and the car started right up. Maybe it is too simple but might as well try it.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Sounds to me like an ignition issue (do you have a Permatune in there or the Bosch unit???), but if that was it, you wouldn't be seeing spark going to the coil. Might be worth double-checking this.
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Ok so you have spark (meaning you've pulled a plug and have seen it right ?).
And it turns over when you crank it.
Next I would make sure that there's no vacuum leaks redily evident ,, My car often won't start if the hose that connects the wastegate to the intercooler is off ( a common one).

The next thing I'd do is remove the air filter so you can push the throttle metering plate down That will start the pumps and essentially "prime" the system. Do that for a few seconds and see if it starts.. If not, check a spark plug it should be wet from gas,,

Do you have any pics of this cause I tried looking for this line and had no success
Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Sounds to me like an ignition issue (do you have a Permatune in there or the Bosch unit???), but if that was it, you wouldn't be seeing spark going to the coil. Might be worth double-checking this.
I have the Bosch unit
Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtImpreza View Post
Do you have any pics of this cause I tried looking for this line and had no success
I am on the road and don't have any pics. But it's the line that is on the left side of the intercooler and goes directly down to the wastegate.. It's a small 1/2 inch approx line. Can't miss it. It's a long shot but worth checking.
T
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
That happen to me Check ground on the lft side eng. by fuel filter. Don't know what # ground point that is.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevs911 View Post
That happen to me Check ground on the lft side eng. by fuel filter. Don't know what # ground point that is.
what do you mean?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

It sounds like a gummed up plunger to me, ask me how I know... not a big deal to take it apart, clean it and put it back on.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Alright so I thought I had a good spark but had someone else take a look and told me that the spark is very weak. It's a hot enough spark, it's white but will not spark until it's practically held up to the grounded surface, so now what could that be?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: