Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
89 930.

Garage
Question MSD 6T model vs. 6AL

Any one have a issue with this MSD 6T model?
I installed one in the car, but now it sounds like its misfiring and wants to stall when its cold (smells rich)? Runs great when its been run for 5 min or so?
From what i have read the MSD 6AL system is what everyone installs, but they were out.
I phoned MSD and they said this one will work same as the other.?
Anyone have some knowledge on this?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/Circle_Track/Road_Racing/6400_-_MSD-6T,_High_Performance-Circle_Track.aspx

Last edited by Benny771; 06-19-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you run the 2 coil primary wires directly from the MSD bypassing the 6 pin plug and origonal coil primary wires, or back into the 6 pin plug with male spade terminals and then using the origonal coil primary wires?

The coil primary wiring makes a difference if the 2 emission control cold start vacuum solenoids continue to work or not... if they are disabled the cold sart timing will remain retarded and the cold sart idle will be around a few hundred rpms lower if the static ignition timing is still stock and if the air pump is still there the 2 air pump diverter valves will not function and the exhaust will have higher CO and hydrocarbon emissions during a cold start.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Good info Jim. I've always run mine right to the coils, but I've never had a problem with start up. Maybe being in the south helps...

Also, make sure you have your wires to the coax from the dizzy wired properly. If not, it will run poorly

Here's what I've used in the past:

MSD Installation Instructions On A Porsche 911

1- The large red wire goes to the battery (best to avoid spike) or Positive lug on the starter solenoid.
2- The large black wire goes to ground.
3- The small orange wire goes to the Positive side of the coil.
4- The small black wire goes to the Negative side of the coil.
5- The small red wire goes to switched Pos.
5- The white wire is used to trigger a MSD shift light.
6- The violet wire to the shield.
7- The green wire to the center conductor.

I used a tach adapter, but others have been successful without it. In this case the white wire would not be used, unless you want to trigger a shift light.

Since the Turbo uses a magnetic pick up type distributor, the violet & green wires conduct the trigger voltage to the MSD. This is phase sensitive and must be connected correctly otherwise the car will not start or run poorly. Connect the green wire to the center conductor and violet wire to the shield.

I didn't want to cut up my harness, so I unplugged the wiring connector off the CDI and connected my wires there (the ones from the distributor).

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I thought the white wire was the trigger wire if the distributor had points. I didn't use it and never heard you could trigger a shift light with it. Cool thing if it does.

I'm going to hook up a Summit Racing digital rpm switch and use it to light a red bulb that will fit in the factory 10mm hole in the dash behind the black vinyl up top in between the tach and speedometer. There are factory 10mm holes all across there behind the vinyl used for big indicator lights in the race cars.

The origonal wiper delay control knob is already in the hole farthest to the right.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'd have to look and see how you can wire it. Maybe it depends on your ignition.

I have the shift light mounted on the cage leg running behind the A piller. Aimed at me, it's very bright, especially at night.

EDIT: Just looked it up. The white wire is used if the car has points, electronic ignition amplifier output or to the yellow wire of an MSD Timing Accessory. When the white ire is used, the Magnetic Pickup connector is not used.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions(1).pdf

Last edited by A930Rocket; 06-19-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old 06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Did you run the 2 coil primary wires directly from the MSD bypassing the 6 pin plug and origonal coil primary wires, or back into the 6 pin plug with male spade terminals and then using the origonal coil primary wires?

The coil primary wiring makes a difference if the 2 emission control cold start vacuum solenoids continue to work or not... if they are disabled the cold sart timing will remain retarded and the cold sart idle will be around a few hundred rpms lower if the static ignition timing is still stock and if the air pump is still there the 2 air pump diverter valves will not function and the exhaust will have higher CO and hydrocarbon emissions during a cold start.
Hay:
Can you possibly do up a schematic on how i am to use the original wires to the Old CDI box connector? Or explain it so someone like me can get a handle on it?
Or possibly modify Rockets( if its easier for you).
What you are explaining sounds like the issue im having. Thank-you for your help in advance.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

89 930.

Garage
Well, tried it. Didnt make a difference.
Thank-you for trying. Im starting to think my "issues " are related to the K27 7200 installed.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: