Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.38 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Project 930 The Resurrection

As some of you know my 930 EFI project has been many years and innumerable dollars in the making only to inflict anguish and dissapointment. Many times I thought to just get rid of the car but it seems I can't bring myself to do so. I wanted to share with you the sort of prose that Tom inspired me with to give the car another chance in his brilliantly excuted thread on his EFI odyssey but alas all that is left is a seething anger. I am optimistic that Turbo Kraft will resurrect my 930 from the abyss and once again terrify even the Cerberus with her gnarly growl and terrific performance.

Chris please feel free to document the build here on this thread for all to share and comment on, from the misdeeds to the rebirth. Thanks

"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Bravo Lincoln, could I bother you to recall some of the history of your car if it is not too painful so we have a sense of where you came from all in one thread so this masterpiece I am sure will come out of this will be that much more magnificent. I look forward to seeing this re-birth as I know you have some high quality parts in this motor already and please do a little pictoral of what the rest of the car is about. Thanks
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Outstanding, Lincoln. I'm confident you'll find that Chris and his guys are cut from different cloth. It'll be great fun to watch the progress of your car both here in Phoenix and on Pelican. I'd wish you luck, but with TurboKraft doing your rebuild you won't need it.

I've got to admit, it'll be strange for a while not writing a post every few days. The good news is that you're exactly the right guy to raise the bar a couple more notches. The adventure begins!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Lincoln, good to hear that you're on the way.. I can only imagine how anxious you are to have that car back and producing the kind of reliable power that the sum of your parts should offer.

And of course we're all looking forward to another great build by Chris and his crew!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Make sure the top end is fresh before installation...replace anything that looks or is suspect, or else the pain of removing an engine...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Seriously!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Schnele, looking forward to follow your build in this thread. Tom's thread was just awesome.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

LOOKING FORWARD ALSO!!!!!!!

Walt

Plus- I hope TK POSTS- The BEFORE PICS-OF WHAT THE F-WAS GOING ON WITH YOUR MACHINE.

Last edited by wjfk32; 04-14-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

It's not a pain to drop an engine if you know what you are doing! What about an hour and a half max.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I was being facetious, as someone commented privately, "perhaps Tilikum Turbo is a little lost."
Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I know Lincoln I wasn't referring to you by any means your skills are proven.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
looking forward also!!!!!!!

walt

plus- i hope tk posts- the before pics-of what the f-was going on with your machine.
+1
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I know your car has caused you alot of a pain and anxiety bro (understatement)! But glad to hear that will all soon be a distant memory! Subscribing to the awesome build and living vicariously through you.

<- on me
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
That is just what I had in mind Yasin, Lent is almost over and I will no doubt stack a few up.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Just got off the phone with Chris at TurboKraft let's just say it isn't pretty and it is going to be costly I am sure need another set of P&Cs +++ for Chris' benefit here is the purported build components from the last go around with SpeedWerks. Despite my having to go through yet another rebuild I will say Andy McNeil is a stand up guy and I will also state emphatically that David Brown is a lying crook.
Project Type 930/1987 model/ 37343 miles
Engine
3.6 RSA crank and stock oil pump, etc.
Case boat tailed and shuffle pinned
Pauter rods
Mahle 3.4L Cylinders custom JE pistons: 8:1compression
Cylinders and heads ported with custom head work, 964 style head gaskets
930 heads ported with stock valve sizes, but smaller sodium filled 993 valves.
Valves back cut for flow improvements along with some secret headwork
Imagine Auto billet upper and lower valve covers
Twin plug with 12 Bosch FR5DTC Super Plugs
Performance Development valve springs and titanium retainers
GT2 Evo custom grind cams
Carrera 3.2 liter intake manifold Extruded and honed
Wilson 70mm throttle body
Custom billet fuel rails
Edelbrock pressure regulator
Siemens injectors 72lb/hr
Full bay intercooler from Bell intercoolers (Don Enderlein’s design)
B&B Headers (retained)
Fabspeed Dual out exhaust
Limit Engineering Garrett ceramic ball bearing turbo GT37CR
Tial BOV, Wastegate
MoTeC M600 with Data logging
Denso 580 coil near plug coils
Motec switch on the fly boost controller with hidden Valet
Kennedy Engineered Products Pressure Plate/ Porsche Motorsport clutch
Carbon Fiber engine shroud (not that you can see it because of the massive intercooler)
Custom Gauges, tach swings from six o’clock with voltmeter and 220mph speedo
Transmission
Motorsport Synchros and sleeve assembly WEVO G50 shifter.
Suspension
I have upgraded to an RSR coilover setup and Wevo Camber king setup with the strut brace tube.
Braking and Running Gear
The car presently has Big Reds all around and 17” Ruf Speedline classics (8x 10 x17 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups).
Safety
Full Matter Roll cage and fire suppression is onboard. Bi-xenon H4s, Recaro Sport Toplines in suede and leather, Schroth harnesses full RS interior.
Miscellaneous
I have to have a soundtrack so, McIntosh head unit and amplifier sound system with ADS speakers and JL sub, Griffiths and Performance Aire AC, Custom gauges and an Alcantera Ruf steering wheel, aero mirrors, Ruf pedals and gauges waiting to be installed.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Here are the various threads that were loaded with exuberance and optimism for a solid and potent car that to date has resulted in disappointment and despair.

Successful EFI conversions

Anybody Know John Truman

Road Trip, bringing home project 930

How much power do you have? How did you get there?

The new SpeedWerks :)

Last edited by Shadetree930; 04-20-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
beancounter

may the force be with you Linc

I see Shadetree edited your last post...some censorship happening?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

930 Engine Autopsy

Until Tom's 2010: An EFI Hot Rod Odyssey I have tended to not participate in the online forums much. So I was unaware of the heartwrenching saga of the car's past 6 years.

When I first spoke to Lincoln about his 930, I was struck by all the modifications he had done. His build sheet sounded like a recipe with all the right ingredients for a streetable super-930.

Then we got to talking about the power, or lack thereof. It didn't add up.

We agreed to take in the car in the Spring when we were done with Tom's Uber930, to see if we can't figure out what's been going wrong and why the engine just can't hold together.

So without further ado... here we go.

Car arrives, running very rough, dripping, smoking.
Pull the lower spark plugs, and three look wet. Leakdown test results confirm this is effectively a 3-cylinder.
#1 spark plug wire is barely threaded to the plug connector. Same for #6.

A solid 30+ minutes to get the intercooler off. Several different types of fasteners, some obscured; hose clamps, Wiggins clamps, off-angle junctions; lengthy inlet & outlet pipes welded on. Probably an effective unit, but not executed with serviceabilty in mind.

There's metal shavings in the Tial blow off valve. Not a good start.

The first real "WTF???" moment: who molested the Wilson throttle body, and who plumbed it?

- the upper port is boost reference, and is threaded and sealed with pipe dope -- plumbed to the FPR + BOV (bad combination -- the BOV is a vacuum consumer, the FPR is not)
- the lower port is secured with epoxy -- plumbed for the MAP only (good, except the port location makes it very sensitive to airflow over the throttle valve, so it's doubtful it got a good, repeatable MAP signal)
- the side port is pressed in and sealed with clear silicone -- boost source for lower port of Tial wastegate, and a hose going to the cockpit (Motec boost controller wired up by bypassed, old Ruf knob behind seats atop center tunnel access cover)
Plus, the new throttle linkage severely contacts the intake manifold on the 1-3 side. Best case scenario: dangerous. Worst case: lethal.

Raise it up and drain the oil. Crankcase drain plug on the left, oil tank plug on the right.

Those are pieces of piston ring in the crankcase, plus a lot of metal filings. The sludge is mostly assembly lube, but some metal filings.
And the broken Matco 8mm allen socket? Snapped removing the over-torqued axle (CV) bolts.
Just guessing by the amount of torque it took to unbolt the sway bar drop links from the sway bar (I could hang on the wrench), they were probably installed with an impact gun, too.

A closer look beneath the engine and it only gets stranger and uglier.

"Gaskets: if 1 is good, 2 are better"

Why is a 964/993 cylinder head temperature sensor threaded into an adapter threaded into the old air injection port of the cylinder head?

Drop the engine out, and there's the shortened G50/50 from PMS.

Note the modified engine tins over the bell housing, extended on the top surface. That's because the Turbo gearbox is longer than the non-Turbo version, thanks to a larger diameter ring gear. So even though it's shortened, it pushes the whole engine aft by nearly 1 inch if you don't cut & modify the center tunnel. They didn't, and that meant modifying the rear engine mounts of the chassis, latch panel, and engine carrier crossbar.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

More 930 Autopsy Photos

Hard to see from this photo, but the transmission bolt was so over-tightened that it has been stretched thin -- deformed -- near the shoulder.

Take it apart in assemblies:

Camshaft (Synch) sensor, re-wired at some point, pretty sloppy.

Oil pressure sensor, leaking adapter for oil pressure switch.

Really weird: loosened this fitting, and it sprayed oil out. For some reason it's holding oil pressure in this circuit...

This is also plumbed for extra engine sensors:
Air Temp -- intercooler inlet
Air Temp -- intercooler outlet
Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure

Strangely, this car has stock chassis fuel lines -- smaller than -6AN -- but after the fuel filter it jumps all the way up to -10AN in & out of the rails. Then it chokes all the way down to -4AN for the return line out of the FPR. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The cylinder heads' intake port work actually looks really nice. Except for the speckles of metal stuck to the port wall.

Really nasty oil in the turbocharger scavenge system.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

930 Engine Autopsy - Caution: Carnage

Case thermostat bonded in with Loctite 574. Required 2 sizeable prybars to remove!

Metal shrapnel in wastegate lower housing, embedded into valve & seat. Also bonded in exhaust pipe leading to wastegate.

Stacked cylinder base gaskets. This leaked a lot.

Crank angle sensor has made contact with the wheel in the past.

That's a lot of timing marks, machined in and scribed on. Only 3 are needed.

Verified camshaft timing during disassembly:
1-3 cam @ 1.99mm / 4-6 cam @ 2.21mm

And the worst of it:
3 - 2 - 1

#3 cylinder

#3 head

Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: