Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
reassembly snafu - guess what I forgot

So, I've been working on my EFI project: My EFI project 3rd gear syncro repair, and valve seals since January. Last week I hit a major milestone with the re-installation of my engine/transmission. This brings us to yesterday, while working on some EFI wiring, I hit the starter wire with power and heard the starter spin, but not engage. Can you guess what I forgot during assembly yet?

Ring gear: ding, ding, ding

So, now I am faced with my 2nd engine drop in six months, or perhaps attempting to separate the trans with the engine mounted. Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
So, I've been working on my EFI project: My EFI project 3rd gear syncro repair, and valve seals since January. Last week I hit a major milestone with the re-installation of my engine/transmission. This brings us to yesterday, while working on some EFI wiring, I hit the starter wire with power and heard the starter spin, but not engage. Can you guess what I forgot during assembly yet?

Ring gear: ding, ding, ding

So, now I am faced with my 2nd engine drop in six months, or perhaps attempting to separate the trans with the engine mounted. Any suggestions?
I forgot paper towels in a cylinder once when doing a head gasket on a Isuzu Trooper in the 90's. It made pretty confetti when I pulled the plugs to try and diagnose a cylinder that had low compression and a no start.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
I forgot paper towels in a cylinder once when doing a head gasket on a Isuzu Trooper in the 90's. It made pretty confetti when I pulled the plugs to try and diagnose a cylinder that had low compression and a no start.
Well, at least I'm not the only one who makes these mistakes. Let's hope this will be the worst problem I face during this project.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It's actually faster to pull the engine and tranny together than separating it in the car. Makes lining up the clutch fork easy instead of almost impossible in the car.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
It's actually faster to pull the engine and tranny together than separating it in the car. Makes lining up the clutch fork easy instead of almost impossible in the car.
Thats what I was afraid of.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats what I was afraid of.
I'm about 2 hours away, good with tools if you need an extra set of hands.

I am cheap too, just have a few Bud Lights in the fridge for after work.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
I'm about 2 hours away, good with tools if you need an extra set of hands.

I am cheap too, just have a few Bud Lights in the fridge for after work.
Appreciate the offer, I've got a friend to help me tomorrow morning. May be up your way (Lee, NH) in the near future to get some dyno tuning by my ECU/ harness supplier (EFI express). If it's not far from you, and the timing works, you can watch the show and have a drink or three
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Doesn't that just piss you off? I've done similar things, usually the result of having a beer in one hand and a wrench in the other. If you drink, the key is to start drinking as you start the project and don't stop. Never start drinking in the middle of a project, or don't drink at all during it. A person must be either stone sober, or have an inebriated mindset throughout in order to keep continuity of thought processes. Sage words of flawed wisdom....

Many moons ago, after rebuilding and reinstalling a T-90 tranny into my '69 CJ5, I forgot to install some sort of bearing retainer plate on the input shaft bearing housing. When letting the clutch out, the thing would slam/bang back out of gear. Had to pull the tranny and discovered my simple mistake.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

did something similar on a 77S a long time ago, after getting the eng/trans back in the car, began to adjust the clutch, realized I had the fork in backwards, and it was around 12pm at night. So, I sat there, not wanting it hanging over my head all night, I just bit the dust and went back at it. Finished up around 3am with car running, went to bed and slept late the next day!. So yes, I would pull them as a unit. You can have it out and back in in under 4hrs, and be done with it.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Appreciate the offer, I've got a friend to help me tomorrow morning. May be up your way (Lee, NH) in the near future to get some dyno tuning by my ECU/ harness supplier (EFI express). If it's not far from you, and the timing works, you can watch the show and have a drink or three
I am in Manchester about 25 min from Lee and I drove through it yesterday. Let me know when you come up.

Brendon
Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Pull them together, its too hard to get the fingers in the TOB when you reinstall the engine.
I thought you might have forgotten the cylinder tins....
Bruce
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

"I thought you might have forgotten the cylinder tins...."

Gasp - don't even joke about that! Good luck bro!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Stevo-

Dayum dude - sorry to hear that, that sucks huge hairy nads. You're in good company unfortunately 8-/... makes me feel better tho 8-).

I'm @ the beach for rest of week but can help you when I get home Sat if you need, just ring me and I'm there (if you'd like the blind helping the blind, that is)...

Brendon, I'm @ Hampton this week, and for 2 more come next Fri - LMK if you'd like to gtg for a cold one or something sometime...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
wow you must feel like a complete idiot!!! How do I know ? well I did the exact same thing a few months ago and that's how I felt!! LOL
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Gee Guys,
Do you these things ever happen to my very well paid mechanic when he's working on my car? If so, do you think he eats the extra hours or do I get banged for the extra hours?
Just wondering . . .
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: