Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

EBC Setup question

Hi guys,

Im a long time 930 owner in the UK, and long time watcher of this forum - but not an active poster - and not a mechanic..!

I have an 1981, 75k, which has just had a full engine rebuild following head stud snaps. The internals werent modified / strengthened.

I also have a Kokelyn IC, K27, Turbosmart-1 EBC and wastegate, plus Fabspeed headers and twin-out muffler.

I dont have access to a dyno / rolling road, and am having trouble setting up the Turbosmart EBC (I think). The road just disappears too fast !

On full boost, in second gear, at approx 3500rpm, I get the "dash in your face" fuel relays get cut out and everything stops - which from other posts I believe is the overboost sensor kicking in.

The EBC reports a max pressure of 16psi = 1.1 bar

So, job 1 is to test / replace the sensor I think.

However I have a question on the EBC setup. Does anyone run a Turbosmart?

The Turbosmart has "Set Points" 1, 2 and 3 - which at factory are set at something like .7bar, 1.02bar and 1.29bar.

On the default SP1, its set to .7 bar - so I thought thats as much boost as should be "allowed" - about 10psi?

The EBC also has an "overboost shutdown" setting, which it says must be set to a safe level at least .15 bar over the highest boost I want to produce.. Its set at 1.3bar / 18psi.

However ive put the EBC overboost setting up, down, and messed with the Set Points, but still get the "dash in the face" no matter what I set.

If I turn the EBC off completely, the car revs cleanly, but with little perceptible "kick in the pants".

Does anyone know the Turbosmart EBC?
Is it possible to set it up properly without a dyno?
Do you think the overboost sensor in the IC is stuffed or are my EBC settings just wrong?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think this problem will go away with a new overboost sensor. New ones are around $60 and don't disconnect the ground to the nightmare fuel pump relay chain until somewhere above 1.35bar.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, Ive got one on order.

One thing I dont understand, is why with the EBC dialled right down to minimum settings, does the factory overboost sensor kick in anyway.

I thought that turning the EBC down would only "allow" lets say .7bar, but on the EBC display it still shows a "maximum reached" value of 1bar.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Infidel

You probably have a 1.0bar spring in the wastegate and that's as low as the boost will go. Stick a stock spring in there if you have an EBC.

The other issue is no doubt the over boost switch as stated
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK....

Did any of you UK(Jonathan) guys participate in the V-200?

Thnxs
Walt
Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sounds like you have to figure out what boost your car will run mechanically without the EBC. Checking the condition of your wastegate circuit to ensure it functions properly and you don't have any leaks in your boost line to the wastegate. Then verify a base boost level - you may have to change springs if it is set high like 1bar. After you sort the systemy you can play with the EBC settings to achieve your desired result. Also make sure the EBC is not programmed at those boost levels ABOVE the mechanical limit.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Infidel

Do you mean VMax Walt? I missed the last one as i didn't have my car ready, but i went up to Bruntingthorpe (the same venue) last week with a couple of mates, i couldn't break 190, best run was 188mph.
I need to address the seal around my intercooler, as my intake temps were going up to 57-degrees and then the ECU was pulling boost...... Either that or get some better cores welded into the intercooler..... Or wait for a cooler day

I'm loosing about 40hp when the temps go up, the RS tuning program is pretty conservative with it's parameters, they say a fresh engine with this set up is good for 50,000 + miles before a rebuild. It could no doubt deal with everything being hotter, but i'd go through P&C's more often...... The only way to keep my power when flat out is to get the intake temps cooler, i just wish i could afford a Secan..... I'm playing with the idea of getting CTR to weld some similar Marston cores in, but it'll still be an expensive job, and i can't justify it at the moment.... It feels bloody quick anyway, and just shy of 190 in a little over a mile isn't too shabby. We didn't have the whole runway on the day, they'd coned off the end so we were breaking at around 1.2 miles
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Congrats!!!

Yup--that's what I meant...VMAX-

No matter what you have, will never be enough..!
Was your runs done with racing fuel???
Was it a 1mile run or more??

Walt

Last edited by wjfk32; 07-29-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Infidel

No racing fuel, just our normal pump gas, obviously the premium stuff, but still pretty crappy fuel.

Run was a little over a mile, and the surface at Brunters is shocking..... I can get 7.5 second 60-130's on good tarmac, it was struggling to get 8 seconds there.... I don't doubt on a nice German Autobahn with 4 or 5 miles of straight it'll creep up to 200, but i wouldn't want to be around other cars doing it, it goes light and you wander a bit. Great buzz though
Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

JBL930, have you thought about installing a 200psi WMI kit to help cool your intake charge?
I think it would help alot even with just free tap water alone and no methanol mixed in and it steam cleans some of the carbon deposits out of the combustion chambers.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Infidel

What would that entail, i've heard about these injection kits, but know bugger all about it. How safe are they, do they cause engine wear, how do i set it up etc etc??? Maybe we should chat about it on my build thread? My 930 - 993tt engine project
Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

OH-OH----Methanol...SECRET POTION=HP
Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

This forum is the worst I have ever seen with regards to constant off topic posts cluttering up threads and disrespecting the OP. Realy makes it hard to keep good information seperate from internet BS and random thoughts... Sigh...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks E-man930 / JBL930,

Im pretty sure that the stock wastegate spring is 0.7bar (I need to confirm this) - but will do as you say and check it all out - including replacing the OB sensor I think.

Turbo / WG / everything (apart from the OB sensor) is virtually brand new..

I'll report back when I know more.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Infidel

Have you run the car without the EBC hooked up? If you are netting around 1.0 bar with it set up normally you almost certainly have a 1.0bar spring. It could have been shipped with one in there accidentally if it is new......
Old 08-01-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi, just an update.

Running with the EBC turned off the stock wastegate spring seems to b .7 bar as I thought, and the sensor does not trip - no dash in the face.

Ive now replaced the overboost sensor, and while I am getting higher RPM and higher boost (according to the EBC display) its still cutting out.

Therefore the issue must be with the settings or a problem with the Turbosmart EBC - so Im off to them for help.

We have followed their install manual to the letter, but still it appears to be "allowing" too much boost which is tripping the stock sensor.

Ive got the EBC overboost setting to be 16psi, but the display is showing a maximum reached (peak hold) of 21.6psi..

Very odd.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

A stock 930 engine cannot survive 1.1 bar of boost for a long time without problems. Stock overboost sensor is calibrated to cut power feed to fuel pumps around 1.1 bar (+-0.15 bar). So everything is working as it should. Overboost switch is just trying to save your engine from grenading due to badly installed EBC.

0.9 bar is as high as I would go with stock internals.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sorted.

Can you believe that Turbosmart shipped an incomplete manual with my Eboost unit...

In MY manual, there is only 1 diagram showing how the 3 solenoid ports are hooked up to the w/g and boost pressure source.

However, in the latest, online manual, 2 additional diagrams have magically appeared... Totally different hookup.

It turns out my diagram shows how to produce maximum boost only...

FFS. At least its sorted, and actually the Eboost is (now!) a pretty good unit.

2007 Viper SRT/10. *Twin Turbo coming soon :0)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Very glad to hear you got it sorted out orca69 - I know i was worried for you.
I'll be going through an EBC in the not too distant future.
regards,

E-man
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

We are using the Turbosmart controllers, extremely accurate and reliable. And a simple, clean display. No complaints.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: