Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
In the 930 transmission they only have two shafts, an input and an out put, there is no third lay shaft. The out put shaft on the Ruf 5-speed is longer than the 930 transmission and the 1st gear is hung on the end of it like in a 901 Porsche box ( I am sure where Ruf got the idea) hence the dog leg shift pattern. Then Ruf uses 935 gears to get the spacing they want.
Since the out put shaft has the Pinion gear it would be very expensive to change the R&P on a Ruf 5-speed.
Ruf 5-speeds were great because Porsche did not have a 5-speed at the time that could take the power of the 930, but in today's world we have access to the G50. I would recommend using a shortened bell housing G50 and regulate the Ruf to the stop gap, interesting, historical, classic category and not a good answer for people who want bang for buck and versatility.
I have a Ruf 5-speed in my car.
Ficke, thanks for the pics and the detailed description.

Your assessment is correct regarding the internals of the 930 trans.... and based on your comments, and from what I can see of the Ruf trans, the big difference remains the tail cover, and as you described, the lengthened output shaft, placement of/additional gears, and a few other details.

Yes, a nice stop-gap for the time and probably still a viable retro-fit/option at present with a properly priced/reverse engineered kit.

While the G50 is a nice upgrade, the level of work, cost, etc.. required for an install is not for everyone. Based on the items described above, if this were available in kit form to the 930 owner, it would be little more than a thorough trans rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
I would talk to Wevo. If there is enough interest he might, at least come up with some cost estimate to see if it's worth it to pursue. He's just finishing up a 5 speed conversion for the 356.
Bingo! My thoughts exactly.. from what I can see, and what I understand from my time with these cars.. is that Ruf didn't recreate the wheel, or the cog in this case.. he merely expanded on the theme taking a page from the 901. However, during the time line when Ruf did this.. ohhhh, it was like a black art with feats of machine shop magic! Not so much anymore with CAD and other 3-D types of machining and manufacturing.. we've come a long way with technology and manufacturing since the
80's.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Guard still makes an R&P, but it isn't the 8:39 listed above. It is 8:41, so even shorter. Here's a ratio comparison:

9:38 4.22
8.39 4.875
8:41 5.125

Sounds too short for regular highway work.
It's not too short with 17" rims. I drove mine all the way from Alabama to Florida with no issues whatsoever. Around town it is absolutely perfect. But....when you are on the gas and nail it, man, you better hold on for dear life with the 8:41. It will rip you apart, literally. 4th will blast like first gear deep into the 100mph range in a fraction of a second. My 8:41 R&P is a factory stamped Porsche part, so I presume Porsche offered it at one time as an upgrade. I don't know if they still do.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I did a G50/01 upgrade last year.
Shortened the bell housing, so That I could use my torsion bars.
Modified the transmission mount so a did not have to weld new mount to the chassis.
Can switch back to 930 transmission any time if I want to.

A great upgrade over the 930 transmission.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Just found a great deal on an old stock 8:41. Will let you know how it goes after I find an LSD and install them both.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Just found a great deal on an old stock 8:41. Will let you know how it goes after I find an LSD and install them both.
Kenik, you might want to do some research before going with the 8:41. I put an Andial 8:39 in my car, which you can read about here: 8:39 ring/pinion - good or bad? - Page 4 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Andial told me that they did not sell the 8:41s, because they are noisy. A search on Rennlist and Pelican might lead you to think the same.

BTW, ignore what I said on Rennlist about SC-spec cams. I now think that they are wrong for a Turbo for the street. I will be restoring the original 930 cams in my car.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

^ I've heard similar. Figured it was worth a shot. Matt Monson at one point told me that a noisy ring gear can be managed somewhat with meticulous setup and friction coating. That was a generic statement so unsure if it applies to this this of RnP.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930

Last edited by kenikh; 08-01-2014 at 08:40 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Albins make a taller (10:31) R&P for the G50 - CMS carry it; I considered it.. It was $3000 US at the time, Factory G50 gearsets are $900 per gear (1st involves re-welding the shaft as well).

Last I looked, core, non-broken G50/50's were reputed to be $10K - if you could find one. Good luck with that, they didn't make many, and most are either in the original car or already in an Ultima or GT40 rep...

I think you have to figure a used transmission with any mileage as "suitable for rebuild", especially for high-power applications. The G50/01 with 100K I used ate about $3000 worth of factory wear parts (bearings, bushes, seals, synchros etc) before it got anything trick - and it came out of a great-driving car (shop I bought the box from had been looking after it for 10 years) that got hit in traffic.

After the tall 5th I had in the 915, stock 911 G50 5th was also WAAAY too buzzy on the freeway.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: