Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Old car guy.....

Garage
02 sensor location question

Thanks for everyones help in the past, I couldn't get much done without you!
I need to install the wide band sensor for the LM2 A/F meter and have a few choices on location. I have read the older threads on this subject and have seen the opinions change over time. I am trying to justify wheather to pull my muffler assy to install in the small space just after the turbo, or into the tailpipe near the muffler, or the one I like, into the muffler itself at the passenger side endcap. This location which has not been discussed (maybe for good reason?) I like because I could have this done without pulling the muffler or the rear bumper. There is clear access to that end of the muffler and being on the passenger side would give a little more lenth to that (too short) 8' cable that the LM2 comes with.
Has anyone tried this?

This is the location that I am asking about in the muffler end cap, passenger side.

This looks like It could get really hot and I would need to pull the muffler or bumper for access.

I still might need to pull the muffler or bumper for access to get the right angle.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'd believe there's way too much latency in the muffler for a WBO2. It's too much of a diffuser, so gases may exist long after the "true" AFR.

I'd go right after turbo (head pipe) close as you can to the muffler to save the sensors life. It's a harsh environment.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I'd believe there's way too much latency in the muffler for a WBO2. It's too much of a diffuser, so gases may exist long after the "true" AFR.

I'd go right after turbo (head pipe) close as you can to the muffler to save the sensors life. It's a harsh environment.
+1. Maybe add a little heat removing device of your design.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Working with my buddy who's an absolute genius with mapping, we've finalised the placement of my Lambda in exactly the same place as Tippy says above, the short pipe between the turbo outlet and the silencer inlet. This should deliver the best, cleanest signal for the ECU to use. (We were going to use 2 x Lambda's, 1 per bank, each mounted post merge collector before the turbo inlet flange....however, a little OTT, and IIRC (it was a while ago now), perhaps too hot versus placing a single one downstream post-turbo (although by then, I'd had the Lambda bosses welded in....but at least they're there, if we do have a sudden change of thought)

The sensor needs to be mounted as vertical as possible to prevent condensation in the system from knackering it prematurely.

ETA - presume you know this, but do NOT cut and reconnect the huge Lambda plug in order to thread it through to wherever you're connecting it.....the plug is tuned to the sensor at factory, by fitting a balancing resistor (I believe); if you start hacking it about, you add junction resistance points into the circuit.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject

Last edited by Spenny_b; 07-07-2014 at 03:43 AM..
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mine is located directly after the muffler about 9" from the tip. This is where Innovate recommended placement and it has works fine for me.
This location also makes it fairly easy to remove the sensor for calibration.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: