Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane930 View Post
'75-77 930 brakes were actually the same as the 2.7 Carrera RS...standard 911S did not have the aluminum calipers in front. 3-liter turbo brakes were good but not as good as the 917/RSR brake upgrade with the introduction of the 3.3 liter.
The 75 and 76 had the same front brakes as an early 911S (aluminum front calipers). The 2.7RS also used these calipers from the early 911S.

The 77 had the same calipers and rotors but had power assist which was quite an improvement.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 10-05-2016, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
Lots of BS in this thread. I have an all original 76 930 (Sept 2013 Pano) and a hot rod 86 930 (Mar-Apr 2016 Classic Porsche) that did 440hp at the wheels on .9bars. At 1 bar it is probably closer to 500...

They were a supercar back in the day, and still are when you recall that they are 40 year old antiques.
Quote:
Actually, stiffer rear suspension makes them more likely to step out. Because of this in our Chump 911 with multiple drivers, some not 911 savvy, we did not run a rear sway bar. Take out the rear swaybar and these cars become very forgiving and predictable.
Ha! not BS at all.. as you said above, supercar back in the day... so let's go "back in the day" to 1976/77, and look at a few points.

These cars were $25,000 and some change in 1976.. factoring in inflation etc.. that is the equivalent of roughly $138,750.00 today.

So of the buyers who bought these cars @ $25k, how many do you think were racers, chump car drivers, and/or 911 savvy at all? Few if any. Sure there may have been the guy that was stepping up from a muscle car.. which is a totally different drive.. and with some luck there were probably a few previous 911 owners purchasing a new Turbo Carrera. However, for the most part, the average purchaser was a well heeled (Dr, Lawyer, Acct etc) individual who was purchasing his first supercar, and in many cases his first foreign car!

So we're not talking about the car guy who purchases, and starts adding wheels and tires and other mods a week later. We're talking guys who were looking to make an impression and who could barely figure out the long through of the gear lever and were always "wondering why it squats in the rear when I get on the gas?"

These were the guys who went into the corner just as the boost hit, immediately jumped of the gas and stabbed the brakes.. or were so petrified that they couldn't get their foot off the gas. Sure, they may have been only 200+hp, but you don't really feel it until the boost comes on.. unlike a normally aspirated car in which it feels the same just faster as you push further down.

Like today, many 360, 430, GT3RS, and McLaren owners in my area.. ha, they all have paddle shift and blast down the road in a straight line.. when you get into the twisties they all come off the power abruptly because they're unsure how to set-up for a corner even with PDK or paddles. In essence, most have more car than skill.. and it was even more so in the mid 70's when the 930 was new!

Ok, so lets talk 80's 930s. Better brakes, somewhat stiffer chassis, and a little more hp but set-up not to come on as violent as the early cars. Nice, but you still need some skills to drive it because under boost in various situations it'll bite your ass too! Again, we're not talking about the "racer-boys" or those who have been around these cars for awhile.. we're talking about the buyer who wants to get the looks, have the cool car, and has the money to do so.

Quick example, there was a Dr. in the area who bought himself an 87 930 cab. So I'm admiring the car outside of a restaurant one eve when he walks up. We talk, and I tell him "be careful with it cause she'll bite ya.." he looks at me like I've got 3 heads and pulls off. Later I find-out he's dating a friend of mine.. a couple weeks after I get a call about a bad accident involving a Porsche.. once they said; red convertible and given the neighborhood I knew it was the Dr. It was fall, wet leaves on the ground, car got away from him and hit a telephone pole. Car was destroyed, my friend was dead on impact, and the Dr. has a cane and now walks with a permanent limp.

nough said..

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

^^^ Wow, your story took a twist at the end I wasn't expecting.

Sorry to hear about your friend.....

Reading this makes me think the title of this thread rubs you a little wrong....
Old 10-05-2016, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Ha! not BS at all.. as you said above, supercar back in the day... so let's go "back in the day" to 1976/77, and look at a few points.

These cars were $25,000 and some change in 1976.. factoring in inflation etc.. that is the equivalent of roughly $138,750.00 today.

So of the buyers who bought these cars @ $25k, how many do you think were racers, chump car drivers, and/or 911 savvy at all? Few if any. Sure there may have been the guy that was stepping up from a muscle car.. which is a totally different drive.. and with some luck there were probably a few previous 911 owners purchasing a new Turbo Carrera. However, for the most part, the average purchaser was a well heeled (Dr, Lawyer, Acct etc) individual who was purchasing his first supercar, and in many cases his first foreign car!
Sorry about your friend.

I agree that many new Porsche owners are not performance drivers and have direct experience with this as a PCA Driving Instructor and former Chief Instructor for our region. Deepness of pockets is not proportionate to driving ability.

That being said, there were car enthusiasts that could drive and understood the dynamics of a rear engined car who bought 930's new. My 76 930 was purchased new by a Geologist, it was not his new first 911. He paid $35,000 Canadian for the car new. He traded it for a 74 Targa and $25,000 a little over a year later. The Targa was subsequently sold and he bought a Dino... He is now in his 80's and drives a 997 Carerra 4 GTS. Oh, and his son drove in Formula 1 and currently operated several race schools in the US.

To underscore my point, the original owner of my car even drove it in the winter, in Alberta. Ever heard of black ice?
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 10-05-2016, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

I was very cautious with my '84 which I acquired earlier this year. But I'm gradually improving my skills. Best thing I did was have two friends who are track rats drive and flog the car on the track and canyon roads while riding in the passenger seat. The car did not break loose. My confidence behind the wheel is much better. Long gears with a 4sp, turbo lag and an inexperienced driver are not a good combination. These cars are very smooth at high speed and most folks are used to rapid gear shifts which help with the sensation of speed. 90 mph in second gear as a sharp turn approaches is not good in inexperienced hands.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I remember my first circuit race at Motegi Twin Ring, it was cold and a bit rainy. I in my stock 951 just got lapped by the track star hot shot, when around the next corner I see grass and smoke in the air and his track weapon 930 just hitting the barricade, tail first. I won my division he didn't. Fast forward a friend scored a set of 964 3.6 turbo split rim wheel from a shop that warned the new owner, repeatedly!! As he pulled out whhaaaap! Screech ! Crash!! Drag car back to the shop and start taking bids on the parts. I was broke and decided to try some cheap tyres, biggest mistake ever almost crashed so many times after 1 year I finally got a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx. Now at uncommon speeds my btr spec is as rock solid as my 928S4 at speed. The moral of the story: now your limit and tires tyres tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I drive about two to three thousand miles a year with my 930 and now that my 315 BFGs are worn out I think I will stick to R888 245/275 tires that I have on my RUFs now. The grip is so much better and tirelife goes hand in hand with age. THe BFg 315 vere already hard as hell and no grip when needed and least if wet. I'll swap the r888 over to lindsey 17in wheels which will loose some weight hopefully.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Oh, and his son drove in Formula 1 and currently operated several race schools in the US.
interesting... so who was this F1 driver?

Old 10-07-2016, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: