Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I need a roller.

Sell it to me less the motor and trans.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

If you want to save the case, I would call Ben/MB911. See if he's willing to take it on. If so, tear it down, box it up and ship. Shipping is probably $50-60 each way. Since he's a pro welder and also understands the details needed for the correct fix of a Porsche engine, he's one of the few people I would trust to do it right.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Ollies also has a lot of experience. I have a sand cast case with a gap between the a spigot and the case parting line up top. A rod end flailing around can saw quite a slot in a case. They told me they could fix this - they'd cut out a patch from one of the various even worse damaged cases they have, machine things so the patch would slide right in, weld, machine, and the case would be fine. As it happens, I have a couple of these cases, so didn't need to have this done, though maybe at some time I will so I can sell a functioning case. A damaged case like this probably isn't worth much.

O think they are in Arizona these days, if that's more convenient than where Ben is.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Updates...

Stopped in at my local machine shop, showed them the pics, and although they'd like to see it in person, they were pretty confident that it was fixable.

The process they said they would go through was similar to what several of you mentioned:
  • disassemble
  • v the crack
  • clean
  • heat
  • bolt it back together with a spare steel bar or an old crank to prevent warpage of the mains
  • bolt it back together
  • weld the outside
  • take it apart and see if the inside should be welded while bolted to a fixture
  • drill/tap drain plug
  • check for warpage
  • reassemble

At the same time I'll have them check the bearings and we might as well do the top end and check the pistons, cylinders, and rings.

If I deliver them the short block it would be between $300-$500. Seems reasonable.

I think JB weld is out in my mind because the crack goes through the drain plug which means that won't be sealed nearly as well as it once was.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
On the other hand, this late 1983-1989 case, with the side drain, doesn't lend itself to jacking here. First off, why - the rear of the engine works fine, and is the standard way of getting both rear wheels off the ground at once. I guess if that didn't get the car up high enough, you might be tempted to jack where this broke. But it isn't set up so it is fairly easy to spread the load. But you might expect some kind of gouge or depression where something with a very small area was placed, and the owner says he doesn't see anything like that.
While under the car yesterday I noticed a small indentation on the front portion of the crack. My guess is that's where this whole thing started. It would take a direct smack to crack one of these cases. The gradual nature and spread out load of a jack probably wouldn't do much, unless a crack was already started from some other sort of impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996AE View Post
I need a roller.

Sell it to me less the motor and trans.
The roller is my favorite part of this car, 1986 Moss Green over Tan
Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Sounds like a good welding plan. If I remember the architecture correctly,the crank bearing webs are mostly if not entirely up higher than the cracked areas. Your crank and existing main bearings ought to work as jigs - hard to see that enough heat would get to the crank to make it break a sweat. I suppose a steel bar of exactly the diameter of the main bearing journals might be better, as for this purpose you don't want the clearance built into the regular crankshaft assembly.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
Sounds like a good welding plan. If I remember the architecture correctly,the crank bearing webs are mostly if not entirely up higher than the cracked areas. Your crank and existing main bearings ought to work as jigs - hard to see that enough heat would get to the crank to make it break a sweat. I suppose a steel bar of exactly the diameter of the main bearing journals might be better, as for this purpose you don't want the clearance built into the regular crankshaft assembly.
Yea, agreed on the heat getting into the crank/bearings. They're probably being extra cautious.

@Catorce, have you priced out what a basic 3.6 build might cost using one of your blocks and with your discount on LN Engineering products and whatnot? I'd love to stop by sometime and see what you guys are doing since you aren't too far away.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe. View Post
Yea, agreed on the heat getting into the crank/bearings. They're probably being extra cautious.

@Catorce, have you priced out what a basic 3.6 build might cost using one of your blocks and with your discount on LN Engineering products and whatnot? I'd love to stop by sometime and see what you guys are doing since you aren't too far away.
Gabe,

I don't yet have prices on the LN stuff, but I can tell you that it will be cheaper than what he lists it for retail, because LN bought a bunch of my cases and we are trying to work together.

There are only 4 production slots left at $5000 per case, and beyond that I have two good sources for parts to finish the motors - LN as already stated for P&C and Autobahn Dismantlers in San Diego who parts out all the Singer stuff. They have like 49 good cranks and tons of quality parts to make a 3.6, and once again, through me, they will be cheaper than a direct sale from Autobahn because I worked up a special deal with them.

I am in San Juan Capistrano if you want to see the case progress. Not done, but lots to see and compare with a stock case. PM me for contact info and thanks for your interest. Oh, and website in my sig has all the details and latest updates.
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
Gabe,

I don't yet have prices on the LN stuff, but I can tell you that it will be cheaper than what he lists it for retail, because LN bought a bunch of my cases and we are trying to work together.

There are only 4 production slots left at $5000 per case, and beyond that I have two good sources for parts to finish the motors - LN as already stated for P&C and Autobahn Dismantlers in San Diego who parts out all the Singer stuff. They have like 49 good cranks and tons of quality parts to make a 3.6, and once again, through me, they will be cheaper than a direct sale from Autobahn because I worked up a special deal with them.

I am in San Juan Capistrano if you want to see the case progress. Not done, but lots to see and compare with a stock case. PM me for contact info and thanks for your interest. Oh, and website in my sig has all the details and latest updates.
Great, thanks for the quick response! Just shot you a PM so we can link up.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
I'm not sure where you are on this project but I have a left/distributor side case half I could sell you. Cheap
The other half has a magic window

Competition Engineering could match the cases if that was necessary.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 04-05-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schmidt View Post
I'm not sure where you are on this project but I have a left/distributor side case half I could sell you. Cheap
The other half has a magic window

Competition Engineering could match the cases if that was necessary.
Hey Henry, awesome! Glad I made this thread and you found it. I sent you a PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe. View Post

The roller is my favorite part of this car, 1986 Moss Green over Tan
Hell yeah!! Pics please?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Hell yeah!! Pics please?
Ask and you shall receive... I started a build thread: Project Avocado - 1986 Moss Green 911 Rebuild

Who doesn't love a good resurrection/redemption story?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

More pics, just because. It looks like the drain plug has had an insert installed, you can see from the closeups. That probably added stress to that area, then something hit the bottom of the case and it cracked all the way across.

Still haven't decided what to do. I think I would like to do a 3.6 swap, which means that I'd be selling this one.

If I am going to sell it, the questions is what sort of trim should it be in? Sell it as is, rebuild it myself and sell, or have a reputable shop (like Competition Engineering) rebuild it and then sell? What do you all think?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

That is some cracking. Wow. Both sides, across the two halves!
I hadn't noticed how symmetrical the two castings are, though. What about you have all the cracks welded, weld up the oil drain hole (because the crack goes right through it), and drill and tap the other side for your drain. It will puzzle some shop guys doing an oil change, but they'll figure it out when they see the welds.

It almost looks like a downward force did this. What if someone tried to screw in an iron pipe thread tapered plug, used a lot of force, and that fractured the case? It looks like it started at the drain bung. Though sending a crack across an interface to the other side?

The shop doing the welding ought to be able to see if 1) the crank journals are currently properly aligned, and 2) see to it that they stay aligned throughout the welding. 1) should be some assurance that the force which caused this cracking didn't distort the middle part of the case.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The threaded insert is in every engine case. See the parts diagrams below and I highlighted #46

Old 04-29-2019, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I have said it before and I will say it again. Throw the case away. Replacement 3.2 cases are plentiful on the used market. They are not hard to find like 3.6 cases are.
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

To reference Smokey Robinson I second that emotion, looks like a anchor to me.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

I'm no expert, but if I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car with cracks that large, that had been welded. I think it should be discarded.
Sorry.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Zero evidence anything "struck" the bottom of the case.

Over tightening the drain plug wouldn't crack the other side of the case.

Had water in it then froze?

Something gone down inside the engine?

Edit, now I see the scratches on the case. Seems minor given the damage.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: