Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 tweaks View Post
TYVM Spence for the very positive update of progress so far...
Fingers crossed for the next installment(s) to also be without any issues...
Baby steps now... Run w/o water inj and shake her down to get and make all sub systems “ a o k “.
Enjoy her back on the road...!!
You deserve an amazing and awesome summer of trouble free use... Lets all hope for such...
Take care... Bob
Thanks Bob, yeah hoping the Mezger-Gods are on my side from now on, I think I've served more than my fair share of dues to this project.

The water circuit was actually for turbo cooling rather than water injection, but indeed, K.I.S.S. applies at the moment.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1181 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Ok, a little bit of a hiccup on the project last week; because I'm not now running the water cooling circuit, the control loom for the pump/temp sensor/etc was surplus to requirements, and had been tucked up through the back of the centre console where a storage "bin" usually fits. Therefore, strange noises, fumes and draft come up through it. In addition, I had deliberately run the fuel tank as low as I dare, so I could remove the second 044 pump we fitted in a bid to get rid of a strange cavitating/vibration noise from the front pump which was annoyingly loud in the cabin.

The plan was to refit the CIS pump from 8yrs ago, so long as it worked fine and hadn't seized with any remnant fuel doing what fuel does after a long period. Some testing on a few litres of super unleaded proved it was just fine....

However.....after removing the passenger seat to remove the section of wiring harness, I thought "ah what the hell, the weathers lovely, I'm going over to Rachels house, I'll put some more fuel in and use the Porsche"....well, you would, wouldn't you. So, seat back in, the small qty of fuel I bought for testing was put into the tank (after checking for any obvious particles in the jug, of course) and I drove 100yds down the road to my local fuel station. Just a little family run affair (important point). £20 more of SUL into the tank and I was off. Except the car felt like a bag of spanners and my heart sank.

Maybe I'd fouled a plug with the 2 starts earlier in the day, to move the car around? I gave it 5-6 miles before deciding to turn back. Not plugs. Had I messed something up with removing the harness? A feed to a bank of coils perhaps? Or water in the fuel? (seen that before on a mates car in the middle of rural France)....or was this something far more serious; broken rocker shaft....cam timing slip...holed piston....?

Circling back to the fuel station to ask about possible water in their tanks, and a quick printout showed 0% for all 6 underground tanks, but the attendant did say that the reason their price for SUL was so high (25% more than other stations) was because they just don't sell enough to give them buying power. Huh. Soooo.....when they do occasionally buy in the SUL, I guess they're topping off fuel that has potentially gone stale?

The next day I replaced the harness exactly as it was (not a simple plug/socket, but some spliced-in +Ve feeds for relay power). The next test drive was even worse, with proper popping and banging, not just a missing cylinder sensation. Uh-oh....well...not the wiring I guess.

Time to completely drain the £25 of SUL from the tank, do the CIS pump swap, refill with known good fuel (99RON) and re-try. And hope.

Now, on the fuel pump side of things, I needed to buy a new tank>pump hose; or rather, another hose, as I bought one a few years ago that I chopped in order to feed the 044 pump via a banjo fitting....

And then it dawned on me….is it possible that 044’s don’t like banjo fittings on the inlet side, and the fuel flow that happens with them? Was this the noise I’m hearing? The CIS pump has an integrated fuel inlet, not a screw-in fitting requirement. However, the surface area of the 4x banjo bolt holes should’ve been ample for the pump feed….I think…Anyway, a few hours later, new hose on the tank, CIS pump back on and the -6 banjo on the outlet side feeding the engine.

New fuel in there and magically the misfiring has disappeared. Cue the elated-car-driving-and-jigging. Most of the cavitating noise has gone, its certainly a lot quieter (and now tolerable) but not gone entirely, which is still baffling me. The CIS pump from factory feeds into a banjo fitting that in turn feeds the injection distributor, so it’s not like I’ve swapped from a straight fitting to a banjo on the outlet….

Oh well….lesson learnt….don’t use my local fuel station again with their sub-standard 97RON fuel. Perhaps it wouldn’t have been a problem in a few weeks time, once the proper calibration has been put into the ECU. I’m wondering whether the REALLY conservative ignition advance curves that I’m running aren’t aggressive enough to burn the lower grade, perhaps slightly stale fuel?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1182 (permalink)

Garage
Glad you're mobile again. What a journey. Seems like you've dound the right shop in Fearnsport. Good thing you didn't run away to join the monastery, or circus. John
Old 06-29-2019, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1183 (permalink)

Spencer
I just read through all 60 pages of ups and downs and have to say I am thoroughly impressed with your tenacity. Most mere mortal men would given up long ago.
Your saga is a great motivator to us all.
I have my 3.0 SC engine on the stand after a rebuild and I've been wanting to replace the blue Victor Reinz case bolt orings with the proper green ones. I have the green orings and the oring lube recommended by Henry at Supertec but I've been dreading this as I hate doing the same thing twice but after reading through your journey it has made my task look like child's play so I'm on my way out to my shop to get cracking on it.
Thank you for the inspiration.
I hope all of the faceless people who've been following this over the years in the shadows will let Spencer know how much we're rooting for him to have the car of his dreams in perfect order.

Let him know how inspiring he is and that you're here to help him get through the rough patches if only with moral support.
Thanks for documenting this journey and allowing us to share it with you and know there are many many of us pulling for you even though we've been quiet mostly. Hopefully some more people will come out of the shadows with words of encouragement.
Thanks again
Tony Moore
Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1184 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Glad you're mobile again. What a journey. Seems like you've found the right shop in Fearnsport. Good thing you didn't run away to join the monastery, or circus. John
Haha, I never even considered the circus but now you mention it....

Funnily enough, the circus was in town last weekend, we *almost* did go to it, for old-time sake and for a giggle. BBQ was more tempting, as we had somewhat of a heatwave over the weekend.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1185 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoe32067 View Post
Spencer
I just read through all 60 pages of ups and downs and have to say I am thoroughly impressed with your tenacity. Most mere mortal men would given up long ago.
Your saga is a great motivator to us all.
I have my 3.0 SC engine on the stand after a rebuild and I've been wanting to replace the blue Victor Reinz case bolt orings with the proper green ones. I have the green orings and the oring lube recommended by Henry at Supertec but I've been dreading this as I hate doing the same thing twice but after reading through your journey it has made my task look like child's play so I'm on my way out to my shop to get cracking on it.
Thank you for the inspiration.
I hope all of the faceless people who've been following this over the years in the shadows will let Spencer know how much we're rooting for him to have the car of his dreams in perfect order.

Let him know how inspiring he is and that you're here to help him get through the rough patches if only with moral support.
Thanks for documenting this journey and allowing us to share it with you and know there are many many of us pulling for you even though we've been quiet mostly. Hopefully some more people will come out of the shadows with words of encouragement.
Thanks again
Tony Moore
Hey Tony!

Great to have you along! Sincerely, thank you for taking the time to read through the whole saga and for your very kind comments. I'm aware now that this is one helluva long read; I'm considering splitting it into 3 episodes, the first will be known as Episode 4 and will have a rolling opening sequence with the story-thus-far, lol.

Yes, there certainly are a lot of folk keeping tabs on the project and checking in. That's great, I don't expect everyone (anyone) to put finger to keyboard to type replies. There are a good number of regulars who do check-in, and I'm so grateful for their continued support, both on this forum and behind the scenes. I was telling a colleague this morning that I have made so many new friends through this build, something I'd never have thought at the beginning. There's obviously Chris at TK, John C our Moderator in NY, Costa in Sth Africa, Kevin in CA, John the UK ex-pat, Pat in scorching France, Jesper in Sweden, plus others who drop in occasionally. All good stuff.

My debate now is, do I keep this thread going to document the chassis refurb's and upgrades that are coming soon? Or am I likely to get shouted at for going off piste with an "Engine Forum" topic?

Happy to keep going if you guys are.....
Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1186 (permalink)

I say keep the story going here...

AND YES PLEASE KEEP THE STORY/JOURNEY GOING SO WE CAN FOLLOW ALONG AND HOPEFULLY HELP IN SOME WAY(S)...

At least for me, when a thread like this "splinters', many followers/supporters get lost and the conclusion aka journey is never quite understood as to how it all worked out...
Old 07-03-2019, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1187 (permalink)

You betcha.I think its a great read lots of twists and turns and would like to read the next chapter that has your happy ending.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1188 (permalink)
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Cheers 🍻 mate!
You are an inspiration both for new DIYers and seasoned p-car builders 😊
Please keep posting and motivating the rest of us...

930 rebuild – The revival of my mothballed project
Old 07-04-2019, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1189 (permalink)

Keep it going mate
Tony
Old 07-05-2019, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1190 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Spencer, super happy to reread you here and me too, I want to read the sequel and happy ending here of your project, to the end!

Patrice
Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1191 (permalink)

Including your build.Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa P View Post
Cheers mate!
You are an inspiration both for new DIYers and seasoned p-car builders
Please keep posting and motivating the rest of us...
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1192 (permalink)

Garage
Spenny...do keep this thread going! This is a go to thread on your progress of your car. You have been through a lot and have done a great job keep us posted. But if you want to start another thread then hop over to the 930/911 Turbo forum.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1193 (permalink)

Garage
Spencer, congrats on being back on the road!

Always love your updates. Thanks for posting.

Best wishes as you get it dialed in!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1194 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
964 c4/c2/turbo , efi conversion , life racing , syvecs , turbokraft