Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Machine shop - Case

Hello,

I've recently taken the challenge of rebuilding my 1978 3.0L engine. I have the case split, hot tanked, and cleaned multiple times.

I'm ready to send my Crankshaft out to be inspected. All the bearings look good, no scratches or marks. Should I also send the rods to be looked at as well?

thank you.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Absolutely. If it rotates, it should be looked at IMO.

More than likely, the big ends are ovalled and need to be resized.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Yes!

Then, they can inspect everything, install new rod bolts and install the rods on the crank for you. That way, you have the piece of mind that they are installed correctly (using stretch gauge).
I do not know what your plans are, but I would highly recommend that you use ARP rod bolts.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-07-2016, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKENSTIEN View Post
Hello,

I've recently taken the challenge of rebuilding my 1978 3.0L engine. I have the case split, hot tanked, and cleaned multiple times.

I'm ready to send my Crankshaft out to be inspected. All the bearings look good, no scratches or marks. Should I also send the rods to be looked at as well?

thank you.
The rod big ends should be be resized, small ends measured and possibly re-bushed, and the end-to-end lengths corrected as needed so they are all the same. You would be surprised at the production tolerances in rod lengths that cause problems setting consistent deck heights.

The oil galley plugs in the crank should be removed and all the passages cleaned after inspection.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com

Last edited by Steve@Rennsport; 07-07-2016 at 10:23 PM..
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Ah yes, rebush the little ends. Forgot that important piece!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you fellow pelicans for the vital information, I'm thinking of using this machine shop in Inglewood, CA called Engine machine service. Anyone used them before? Trustworthy?

Thank you
Old 07-08-2016, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
heard they were good, was going to use them but because I had used Ollies in the past to mod my 964 cyl. heads stayed with them.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

EMS (Dick) recently machined my Carrera heads for twin plug and freshened everything up.
Very pleased with the quality with a reasonable price.
They are a full service machine shop and understand Porsche-speak
Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: