Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
914 JUNKIE

Phenolic intake spacers

Can you reuse the phenolic spacers if you use new gaskets? It's a 1987 3.2.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I do. The gasket is what compresses.

Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
914 JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I do. The gasket is what compresses.

Shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

That was probably misleading. The spacers compress too being a paper, fiber material.

Phenolic is a plastic, don't think the spacers are phenolic.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
914 JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
That was probably misleading. The spacers compress too being a paper, fiber material.

Phenolic is a plastic, don't think the spacers are phenolic.
The type 4 motors use phenolic spacers with a woven reinforcement in them. I just assumed they were the same.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7320 View Post
The type 4 motors use phenolic spacers with a woven reinforcement in them. I just assumed they were the same.
You know what? I may be full of it. Maybe they are phenolic?

I swore they were a paper, fiber based material?

Dang memory.....
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 11-09-2016, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The aftermarket ones used on hopped up motors to help keep heat out of the intake runners and above are a hard plastic, and everyone reuses them. I don't know what Porsche used on a 3.2, but it doesn't make sense, since these "intermediate flanges" have a gasket on each side, that they couldn't be reused.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The only issue I've had reusing the plastic one is they tend to shrink over time. They shrink the most in the thick regions. This can affect the ability of the gasket to seal.

I resurfaced them by sanding them on both sides. I used a caliper to make sure each one was uniform thickness. And sanded them to equal thickness.

Phenolic would be better i think. Higher temperature capability should mean better dimensional stability.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
What is a source for these? I need the ones that will cover the gap on SC heads when using Webers.

I am not afraid of making my own if I could find bakelite sheet....
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I used these heat insulators on 930 CIS with aluminum injector blocks and the 12 stainless steel studs are now exhaust port studs and working well. They are made by PMO.
Heat Insulators
Old 11-13-2016, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

PMO makes the correct spacer.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
PMO makes the correct spacer.
I read somewhere at PMO, that you must use a PMO manifold on an SC motor? Naturally, I can't find that link now...

But I did find this. Conversion Phenolic Kit - ************ Classic Parts for Air Cooled Porsche®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I used these heat insulators on 930 CIS with aluminum injector blocks and the 12 stainless steel studs are now exhaust port studs and working well. They are made by PMO.
Heat Insulators
This looks like the way to go. Thanks. Not sure why I couldn't find these last month when I searched....

Last edited by Trackrash; 11-14-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The flange on the Porsche intake manifold is small and doesn't clamp the gasket on the CIS head. It is very easy to get intake leaks and idle popping.

The PMO manifold has a large flange and when combined with the PMO spacer the seal is much better.

Downside of PMO manifold is they are taller and heavier. The throttle linkage needs to be reset.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Under the radar

Garage
I have some REP manifolds, which I was told are early PMOs. Maybe they are the same? I will have to compare them to my Porsche manifolds after I pull them off my old motor.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

REP is Richard apart of PMO

I just ordered a set of spacers this week
To go between these two

(Sorry my port is insured by my new shroud that I need to trim)
Notice the elongated shape of the PMO flamge

Old 11-17-2016, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have 46 mm carbs and 3mm ports

Richard said I needed his PMO 46/38 CIS insulator kit
Old 11-17-2016, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: