Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
hi Catorce..can i see your squirters??

it does not show on your web?
ivan
Old 12-31-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
hi Catorce..can i see your squirters??

it does not show on your web?
ivan
Introducing my rebuildable piston squirter!
Old 12-31-2017, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

^ Thank you!

The website guy is off for the holidays, will be up there soon. Meantime if you need anything PM me and back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
That engine may not be fixable. May be better with another core and rebuild that.

Was there a dipstick or anything else in the oil tank?

in addition to normal rebuild parts big additions are likely going to be: oil pump, cam, crank, P's & c"s, oil coolers, squirters, head studs etc. There really is not much that can be saved (just the case). Even after rebuild, there will be aluminum somewhere in the system.

I would start from scratch with a different motor. Know that sucks but that thing is FUBAR.

Just my opinion if it was me.

Chris
3.2 Carrera
Old 01-05-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Catorce- those squirters are cool! I already ordered a factory set from our host, but your thread was very informative. Once again, I wish you nothing but luck in your air cooled endeavors.

Chris- The block, heads and cam towers are cleaning up nicely so far. Chip and debris everywhere, but between the parts washer, Stomski air nozzle tool, brushes and a 30L ebay ultrasonic tank we're starting to see some progress. The jugs went to Millennium to get punched open to 98mm and the cams have been replaced with a set of 964 regrinds. Rods, crank, case and rockers arms are headed out soon for machining. I've got a Glenn Yee reman oil pump and will likely replace the oil coolers and tank (haven't inspected them yet). The crank has a few score marks, but the journals mic'd at the high limit of the tolerance so they'll probably polish out. The heads were rebuilt recently but I don't trust anything now, so the valves are coming out to double check the guides. Oh, and the head studs came out without heat using a Snap-on stud remover. It's nothing special; just a collet with ID threads. Worked great.

Sure, I could have easily (and at less expense) bought a motor from another SC and been back on the road, but where's the fun in that? If we can make this one run again, normal re-seal or top end build will be a walk in the park!
Old 01-05-2018, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
cmc..i kinda think you might be a drama queen.this is engine will be just fine..all it takes a little or more patience and good cleaning...

Ivan
Old 01-05-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Don't sell that stud remover short. Snap On's collet style stud works really good. Almost too good because it encourages guys to remove the studs without heat and i've seen cases where the threads got damaged and then the new stud(s) pulled out. So hopefully your studs were already not firmly Loctite-ed in the case.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Like to add Performance Developments into the mix of places to use for engine services. Top tier place that has for along time focused on the newer water engines, but is now developing more modern parts for the earlier air cooled engines. All machine work is done in house. They are helping the 911 engine resurrection for Jeff in Australia.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Bo- where do I send your prize? The dropped dipstick theory was spot on. They went fishing with the magnet and lost that too. When the glue holding the magnet to the tank failed, the oil pump ate it and here we are.

The original dip stick and itís replacement:

And Iím spending money like a drunken sailor. Just have to hide the CC statements
Old 01-13-2018, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I was wrong... there were two in the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
...and the magnet:

Old 01-13-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Sweet Jesus! What you're uncovering is just disgusting displays of shoddy "workmanship" in its previous life [shakeshead]

I'd be fascinated to hear who in the UK has had their hands on it....feel free to PM me (I'm in the uk, heard many horror stories of supposedly reputable outfits over here, and unfortunately had dealings with a couple of them)....you never know, it may be one of the UK usual suspects that I can shed some light on for you. Or if not then (selfishly) another name I'll add to my list of no-go zones.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I went through something similar and feel your pain!

I bought my car with 161k miles on it, about 8k miles on a split case rebuild. I did my research on the shop that rebuilt it, didn't find anything good or bad about them. My general rule is to never buy a car with less than 7-8k miles on a rebuilt engine.. but this one looked okay so i went for it. I put about 5-6k miles on the car, towards the end of that i was using nearly 1qt every 5-600 miles. I found a host of other issues while sorting the car out and really lost faith in the engine rebuild that was done. Also, i spent a few weeks trying to sort out a lean running issue which turned out to be a poorly adjusted air flow meter, likely an attempt to make the car pass emissions. This was really the final thing that put me over the edge and i decided to have a split case rebuild done. The guy that built my engine found every piston and cylinder was scored and multiple valves that were bent.

After many dollars spent, i now have 6k miles on an engine that does not burn or leak a drop of oil and complete confidence to take this car on long trips and regularly shift at redline. The dent in my bank account hurt for sure, but it was a good opportunity to get the car exactly how i want it. I dont blame the guy i bought the car from but rather the shop for such a poor job done; was tempted to send them pictures of the p/c's and the broken rings...but moved on and put it behind me.
Jon - San Diego PCA #516
1988 Granite Green 911 3.4L
2017 Reflex Silver Mk7 GTI
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1, 1997 E36 M3, 2003 E39 540i
Old 01-13-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
So no one could figure out that the dip sticks go in the little hole

AND they are non magnetic stainless steel?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoooo32 View Post
Bo- where do I send your prize? The dropped dipstick theory was spot on. They went fishing with the magnet and lost that too. When the glue holding the magnet to the tank failed, the oil pump ate it and here we are.

The original dip stick and itís replacement:

And Iím spending money like a drunken sailor. Just have to hide the CC statements
So sorry to here... Any recourse? Did you say it was rebuilt recently....?

Enjoy the rebuild. Plan to work on mine tomorrow but it's damn cold outside... Not sure I can get the workshop hot enough...
Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
No recourse on the previous build; it was assembled by a previous owner who is no longer in the restoration business. And now that we pulled the tank, I’m certain that the magnet (and at least one of the dipsticks) were in that tank for decades. I’m sure the PO had no idea there was the equivalent of a live grenade hiding in the tank. The head stud issue and the few other mistakes we found are water under the bridge.

Cylinders are back from Millennium Plating and Ben (MB911) is finishing up restoration on the fan and housing. Rockers, rods and crank are being machined and I’ll have a local guy balance the assembly when the parts return. The case, heads and cam towers are cleaning up nicely. I’m going to tackle replacing the piston squirters next. Thanks for everyone’s input and stay warm!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
AirBorne!

What a mess, so sorry. Subscribed so I can learn. BTW, I'm copying your Dad's lighting tower. Its awesome.
2008 997 C4S Silver, Kitty Cat, 1989 3.4 911 Silver Carrera, Erica, 1989 944S2 NASA GTS2, Iris, 1988 944 DE Car, 1970 3.0 PMO 1975S - Roxanne, 1970 911T widebody w 3.0 and megasquirt, 1967 912, 89 VW Cabriolet - 2.0 conversion - sold and missed
Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: