Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

Poll: Have you ever owned a vintage VW?
Poll Options
Have you ever owned a vintage VW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Oh Geez, my heart missed a beat when I saw that blue Karmann. Perfect, just perfect.
Thank you! A totally rust-free car, originally sold in CA back in 1967.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Love that car! 63?
Thanks! Yes, it's a '63. Here's couple more pics ↓

Old 12-19-2019, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

Very nice.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

1958 Choptop Ghia!
67 912 (sold)
58 Karmann Ghia chopped top (traded for the 912)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
74 Thing
71 Super Beetle
67 Square Back
68 Beetle
68? Campmobile
73 Beetle

Might be missing one?
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My brother's daily driver is a 1955 VW Bug.

His other VW is a 1978 Westfalia camper. He has had them both since 1978. People have asked if they could rent it for their honeymoon.

He tells them he remembers his honeymoon and that he does not let other people do that in his bed at home, or in his cars.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcooled View Post

I'm looking for a breast plate like that for mine. I too have a wide engine in a narrow car, and the breast plates for all the wide engines except 1966 have too many holes/holes in the wrong places. Very good attention to detail on your car. Very nicely done.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Registered

Cool thread. Is it still possible to drive one today, or has their time passed? I've always been interested but figured I'd get one someday. Well, I'm not getting any younger. Can you really still find decent cars out west? Ha, I feel really old saying out west.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
^^

I bought mine locally, here in Ohio. It doesn't have any structural rust, but needs paint. Mechnically it needed to have the "Cal look" lowering job reversed and a set of tires. I drive it often, but not daily.

The previous owner was a dedicated follower of fashion - lowered all the way around and put narrow tires up front. It rode and steered like crap.

I returned the suspension to factory settings and put new tires on a set of 5.5" wheels I had sitting around. It's a driver now. Purchase price, new tires, and a few other things and I'm still in it for less than $6500.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
Cool thread. Is it still possible to drive one today, or has their time passed? I've always been interested but figured I'd get one someday. Well, I'm not getting any younger. Can you really still find decent cars out west? Ha, I feel really old saying out west.
My brother drives his 55 Bug every day, he lives in Montgomery, AL. It is not stock anymore. It has a 90 HP engine and 4 wheel disc brakes so it will get out of the way, and stop a lot better than stock. It still has no AC or fans for ventilation, so crappy heat, and pitiful air flow if you are not moving. And 100 degree air blowing from the vent window is like having a hair dryer blowing on you, not really cooling much unless you are covered in sweat already.

It is just too primitive for me. My 85 911 is old enough, but it has really good air conditioning.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-21-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
Cool thread. Is it still possible to drive one today...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
...no AC or fans for ventilation, so crappy heat, and pitiful air flow if you are not moving. And 100 degree air blowing from the vent window is like having a hair dryer blowing on you...
Yes, all very true...but here on the west coast, it's easier to enjoy old cars like these year around
I once drove a '62 Beetle coast-to-coast, and while I wouldn't think of doing that again, I do drive both my old VWs locally quite a bit. Even with having a bit more HP to help deal with modern traffic, I usually limit my trips with them to around 50 miles from home and always carry tools and spares.

Quote:
Can you really still find decent cars out west?
Yes, but finding the right one can take some time...they're nowhere near as plentiful as they once were. And unless you have good welding and metalworking skills, sourcing a car from the west or southwest would certainly be something to consider. All the mechanical stuff is easy, with parts of varying quality readily available from the aftermarket.

Last edited by rcooled; 12-21-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Old 12-21-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcooled View Post
I once drove a '62 Beetle coast-to-coast, and while I wouldn't think of doing that again, I do drive both my old VWs locally quite a bit. Even with having a bit more HP to help deal with modern traffic, I usually limit my trips with them to around 50 miles from home and always carry tools and spares..
Iíve driven 356s coast-to-coast 5 or 6 times. They werenít VWs, but the technology is similar, and some parts are even interchangeable. (For a spare tire I used a 145x15 on a VW rim to save space.) I would have done the same in a VW. I would probably do more pre-trip planning, but I could be tempted to make another run to the west coast in either my Ď56 Coupe or my Ď65 Beetle.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

good info, thanks! I lurk on samba and BAT for them once in a while. Only one I ever remember driving was a POS I worked on in high school a few times. That was a long time ago. I'm not interested in a race motor but more power would be nice. 2 or my 3 cars now have busted AC, not too worried about that. I need to find one locally to check out.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I drive my bus in town when it’s about 45 degrees and warmer. Take it camping during the summer to places within a few hours drive. Granted it’s a 78 so newer and still has the fuel injection.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
The most common problem on an air cooled VW is the #3 exhaust valve. Never buy a car without checking compression. Once you own it pay attention to cooling the #3 exhaust valve. I always keep mine adjusted 1 mm looser than the others in case it gets hot and expands a little.
If you start adding compression and carburetors you increase head temps and make the valve burning issue worse. In about 1970 they moved the oil cooler and re-baffled the inside of the cooling shroud, which helped.
Air cooled VW engines are very reliable if you take care of them. That means oil changes and valve adjustments every 3000 miles.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: