Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

What was your biggest POS car ever?

Easy one for me....

I purchased a Chevy S10 Blazer (can't recall the year... mebbe a '92) it had a well deserved reputation as being "the worst"... and then lived up to it .

Old 09-20-2020, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

My original Mini was not very good. But then again, I was a kid, and in hindsight I could have fixed a lot of the issues with a few minutes of work. And it was a $500 car...

I've had a lot of cars since then, none were terrible. I did have a Pontiac Ventura that would not start in the rain...I thought it was the carb at the time. Now I suspect I had no spark.

Last edited by 1990C4S; 09-20-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Old 09-20-2020, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Jeep Compass.
It’s been gone a long time and I still hate that car.
Utter piece of crap.
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 09-20-2020, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

1st generation Dodge Durango.

Utter piece of crap.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
1978 Pontiac “Formula” Firebird. I had a 1988 GMC ¾ ton pickup that’s a close second. I inherited a Toyota 4Runner that was in a similar category of “things that would’ve best served the world by being left in front of a lava flow” too.

I’ll never again consider any GM product ever again because of the first two (and a ‘77 Camaro I had - my first car as a 16 y/o but I knew that was a POS when I bought it because it was all I could afford... didn’t make it any less of a POS though...) I don’t care how different of a company GM supposedly is or how much they’ve supposedly improved. Never, EVER again. I’d be reluctant to consider Toyota after the 4Runner too. I was seriously underwhelmed and suspect most of their reputation as being reliable and well-made is marketing rubbish that dumb suburbanites fall for.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

As much as I loved it, my 1994 Defender 90 was a series of mechanical and design paper cuts that got me to sell it.

The engine was great, basically a Buick V8.

- The Cats went at 34K.
- Leaked like a colander and sensitive electronics would get wet and fry like bacon. I ended up moving them with the help of a friend of mine.
- Rust was a constant struggle.
- The soft top was a nightmare to take down - 30 minute job.
- A/C went twice in the four years I owned it.
- Aluminum hardtop (rare item) was like putting together a bicycle on Christmas morning without instructions. Once on, the roll bar had to be modified. I had one made.
- Wind tunnel noisy.
- Ate brakes like I eat Tapas.
- So much more.

FWIW, I'd probably still have it except for the fact the kids really couldn't both ride in it. The rear fold downs were a joke and I considered them unsafe.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 09-20-2020, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Of the 40ish cars I've had over the years, my 96 Land Rover Disco and sadly my 911 are the most issue filled.... the Porsche in it's defense is old and has lived a hard life. That said my old Fox Mustang had a much much harder life and help up much better
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I see you

Jeep Cherokee:
constant electrical gremlins
two tranny repairs in three years
two fuel system repairs in two years
sold it at half purchase price after 4 years

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 09-20-2020, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
1984 Fiero in about 1985. I quickly learned why it was traded in so quickly. My choice was between the Fiero and an MR2.
I loved the MR2 but it was price. The Fiero was cheaper and for some unknown reason I thought the Fiero looked better. Big mistake
Old 09-20-2020, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
1979 Pontiac Phoenix. It would randomly lose power and the only way to get power back was turn the heat on full blast. Unfortunately it mainly occurred during the summer 100 degree heat.

Welds we’re improperly done, pieces if metal were randomly sticking out like needles where an automated welding machine must have been working and pulled away.
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A
Old 09-20-2020, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Paging Jake....was it the 'Hateful Wench' VW?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
Welds we’re improperly done, pieces if metal were randomly sticking out like needles where an automated welding machine must have been working and pulled away.
A few years too late, but that's probably from the opposite, lack of tip pressure when the weld current is applied...
Old 09-20-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Lots of Japanese and German cars in the 'good' thread. Lots of American and English cars in the 'bad' thread. Who could have predicted that?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I have never owned a car that was a problem car. Since 1974 I have only owned 3 cars, and I still own two of them. Yea, I am weird, but I prefer special.

I am not counting my wife's cars in that list, but she has had no problem cars either.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. So many electrical gremlins and mechanical failures that I rather not go into the details in fear that I may crash this server with the length of the post.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Berges View Post
2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. So many electrical gremlins and mechanical failures that I rather not go into the details in fear that I may crash this server with the length of the post.
That surprises me, in general those vehicles get very good reviews for reliability. Post the top three.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
yup...S10 blazer for me too. Don't remember the year of it (bought it used) but it was a big POS for sure.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

70 something Dodge Polara. At around 60,000 miles the motor went and sold it for $500.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old 09-20-2020, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I will forever rate the first vehicle (I won't call it a car) I ever bought as the worst one I've ever had.
'58 CJ-5 Jeep. The pistons fell to the ground when I undid the rod bolts with the engine on a stand. Does that tell you anything?
My wife's old '85 Mustang Convertible and our '87 Ford Taurus wagon are tied for a close second.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
'58 CJ-5 Jeep. The pistons fell to the ground when I undid the rod bolts with the engine on a stand. Does that tell you anything?
Wow. I guess it was time.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: