Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
My father was an engineer and graduated in the '40's. He worked for years on his slide rules and loved to show others how they worked. He had them in every size and I still have some of them. He also had collected a bunch of trade show give away stuff and gifts from clients of rulers, slider rules, and other novelty items. All cool stuff, not the cheap plastic swag that is given out now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 10-19-2020, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
The trick using the slide rule is keeping track of the decimal point,

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 10-19-2020, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
I dunno... Seems to me that if you can't remember the sine of 30 you might not remember how to turn the calculator on. Same for sine of 0 or cosine of 0... Some are of fundamental value. That's what my special friend Eigen told me.
I remember Eigen - he has a lot of value
Old 10-19-2020, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Just wanted to share a better picture of this cool piece of my dad's history.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post

Just wanted to share a better picture of this cool piece of my dad's history.
That looks like the one I have, but it's probably 12-13" long. I can't snap a pic since it's at work.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-19-2020, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I found my big one....

A word of warning if you have a leather cover for one of these. I pulled this one out of a cover I've had it in for close to 40 yrs and it was corroding the end pieces. I think I will treat this like I treat my cameras. Store it naked as cases can only harm them with the way they attract and hold moisture, even when stored in a dresser drawer that doesn't see a lot of change temp/humidity wise.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Garage

My slide rule, now in service chez my son. Posing in his drafting table with his Thinkpad.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcommin View Post
Some claim that that's what makes "old" engineers different. I'm thankful to have been schooled by the old ones.

The best ever was in a grad level ceramics class when the prof slashed through a huuuge sintering kinetics equation with "sin x=x, cos x=1, something over big is zero...", and so on until we got to a 95% answer and only a few terms. The moral was that you can get close enough until you really care, then you'll pay somebody else to really care.

I need to learn to use a slide rule... Having relearned cursive writing (in my 40s) I guess that'll be my next party trick.

And my boss has a Curta calculator in his desk. Stamped "US Govt" and everything. If it's still there after he retires, it's mine!
Old 10-19-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

I went to high school just as calculators were widely available. I never had to use a slide rule but I was close enough to that era that the teachers showed us theirs. We also had tests that barred calculators so we had to do the equation to figure out whatever it was we were supposed to use to solve the problem that was actually being tested. By the time I graduated calculators were allowed pretty much across the board.

My wife did inherit her grandfather's slide rule. It is ivory and has a velvet pouch. There are finger grooves worn into it from use. Her mother spent her career as a statistician in China. She was trained on an abacus and still used it well into the 1990s because she was faster on it than a calculator for some problems.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Cool stories.

When I was in school, slide rules were out and calculators werenít allowed.

Next time I go to my parents house, Iíll have to get my dadís slide rule and learn how to use it.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Here is the brother to the one in the picture frame.

I found these in a store in Western Mass about 1995. Her father used to drive a van to rural schools to sell school supplies. She put these in her shop and sold them at the price as marked. Yes, I bought this school level slip-stick for $1.59

Old 10-19-2020, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
Here's some of my stuff.

The slide rule is aluminum w/leather holder.
Scale is from an old drafting machine Dad had. I'm sure my wife found it too big for us to keep around. Used to clamp it to a board to use it.
The books are K&E instructions for the slide rule. I have a large plastic slide rule but it is put away in a trunk in the closet. I also have Dad's old drafting set. Dividers, compass etc in a nice case.
I was an engineering student at one time, taking drafting in jr college I found the need to keep the lead sharp too much trouble to bother with. That and the math just didn't click with me for some reason.
Is that an N-600ES?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Cool stories.

When I was in school, slide rules were out and calculators werenít allowed.

Next time I go to my parents house, Iíll have to get my dadís slide rule and learn how to use it.
My Honors Chemistry Teacher (1980) told the class that it was one of the first where they did not teach us slide rules. The Ti-30 was out and virtually everyone had one. The "cool guys" wore it on their belt.

But seriously, I was a nerd. But not so much that I wore a calculator on my belt!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had a TI 59 in college and I did wear it on my belt - then I switched from physics to math and had no more need of a calculator...
Old 10-19-2020, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcommin View Post
As my father would have said, 'if you don't understand the general order of magnitude you shouldn't use a slide rule and you shouldn't be an engineer'.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
I had a TI 59 in college and I did wear it on my belt - then I switched from physics to math and had no more need of a calculator...
To 99% of the population that would be a real puzzler of a statement.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-20-2020, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_gear_Ted View Post
Algebra is math in two planes
Trigonometry is math in three planes
Calculus is math in motion
I like this

First aluminum slide rule I have every seen. I love this place

Last edited by Tobra; 10-20-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Old 10-20-2020, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
I like this

First aluminum slide rule I have every seen. I love this place
Proper attribution:

My Rockwell co-worker/tutor/mentor who worked on Guidance & Control systems; his answer to my question; why do I need to learn this???

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 10-20-2020, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
Is that an N-600ES?
Yes, it is.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

In the '60s, I thought slide rules were amazing things. I only had a cheap plastic one. I remember when calculators first came out, they only had basic functions, red numberal displays, & cost something like $100. At the time, I wondered why anyone would spend that much money on something a slide rule could do just as easily for a much cheaper investment.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: