Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
What happened to the Mulholland "King of the Hill" RSR?

Chris Banning recently came out with a book entitled "the Mulholland Experience," all about the history of Mulholland racing and such. Pretty poorly written book, but some good stories, especially if you're... uhmmm... "familiar" with the road.

[***EDIT 02/27/2009*** - In the over two years it's been since I started this thread, I've actually gotten to know Banning personally. Let it be known now at the beginning of this epic thread that Banning has been working on a 2nd edition of the book with corrections and many additions to the tale. It promises to be the book that he originally intended to publish. Be on the lookout.]

Anyway, in the late 70's he built a hardcore Mulholland killer Porsche with a chopped roof (yes, chopped and it doesn't look stupid). He was I believe the last "King of the Hill" before the whole Mulholland racing thing was completely busted up.

This is a picture from 1978. He lived right off Mulholland, and had to keep it in his living room because of helicopters and such (no garage one would guess).

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS CAR?

Last edited by lfot; 02-27-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
I'm still trying to find the movie that had Harry Hamlin in a 356 Cab and Dennis Hopper in an old 'Vette.
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Quote:
Originally posted by village idiot
I'm still trying to find the movie that had Harry Hamlin in a 356 Cab and Dennis Hopper in an old 'Vette.
King of the Mountain

Dave

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well... how much time you got?
Chris is still living off of Mulholland and still has the car. The car was modified to the short hood configuration around 1975. The top was chopped (and a lot of other body mods) by Arnie Verbiesen
Chris started buying RSR bits and pieces and got it to the point it is today

At one point (1974)while Arnie was building my first Porsche ( a 911E based targa) he was lagging behind and offered me this coupe instead- in its "original" Arnie built config: 1973 RSR in Steve Mc Queen slate grey with dual recaro sports, fuchs 9's and 11's, etc etc with my 2.4 cis motor installed. (yeah I know...)

As these cars were getting stolen a LOT at the time, i declined the offer since I was living in an apartment with no garage. Car would have had the shelf life of a carton of milk parked out in the open. Add in the sport muffler with no carpet and my wife (at that time) would have gone maybe two blocks before strangling me

Still- i have to wonder what direction i might have gone if i had accepted it . (Maybe the bottom of the cliff off of mulholland?)
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
There are three VHS versions on E-Bay right now. Movie hasn't been released on DVD.

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 01-09-2007 at 03:39 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny_Ocean
There are three VHS versions on E-Bay right now. Movie hasn't been released on DVD.
Cool! except for the dvd thing
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

drag racing the short bus

The Porsche RSR pictured above was the car to idolize during my H.S. days in L.A. It had a sort of cult following where every Monday after the weekend, gearheads would gather and ask if they'd seen who it beat on Mulholland the weekend before.

On Friday and Saturday nights, those fortunate enough to actually see Banning's RSR on Mulholland, would gather at Grandstands to see it scream through the sets. Maybe it was the pot, booze, and lust for the cute chicks who knew all the Van Halen and Foreigner songs by heart, not to mention the overheated Santa Ana winds, but that Porsche was so fast, I swear if you'd blink while hearing it race forth, when you opened your eyes again, it was gone.

I've been on a few Mulholland runs with Jack, Tyson, Dave B. and others, who are all very fast drivers. But to this day, I don't think I've seen anyone drive Eastern Mulholland from the Hollywood Freeway to Bel Air as fast as Banning. His speeds were, in my mind, certifiably suicidal, whether in the RSR or his early Z/28.

Apart from Banning, to be honest, Mulholland these days is a joke compared to what it used to be. The road's lore is gone, and few remember it. I find its loss as akin to the Red Car being ripped off the L.A. streets or the 19th century mansions on Bunker Hill being torn down to make way for Downtown L.A. skyscrapers; Mulholland now is just a windy, often congested road with a few good views of L.A. or The San Fernando Valley when the sky is clear. The street itself is busted and broken from use and heavy vehicles, and I think water corosion is occurring beneath its asphalt. Plus the fact Mulholland now gets bottled up like any other L.A. street.

I consider any performance car enthusiast lucky to have experienced Mulholland back when it was a stomping ground for guys like Chris Banning and Cort Wagner. I've even heard Carroll Shelby, who might still live in Bel Air, used to test his Dodge/Chrysler Shelby cars up there, just to see how they performed against Ferraris and Porsches.

All said, if you see 40 mph on Mulholland today, consider yourself lucky.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup
Well... how much time you got?
Chris is still living off of Mulholland and still has the car. The car was modified to the short hood configuration around 1975. The top was chopped (and a lot of other body mods) by Arnie Verbiesen
Chris started buying RSR bits and pieces and got it to the point it is today

At one point (1974)while Arnie was building my first Porsche ( a 911E based targa) he was lagging behind and offered me this coupe instead- in its "original" Arnie built config: 1973 RSR in Steve Mc Queen slate grey with dual recaro sports, fuchs 9's and 11's, etc etc with my 2.4 cis motor installed. (yeah I know...)

As these cars were getting stolen a LOT at the time, i declined the offer since I was living in an apartment with no garage. Car would have had the shelf life of a carton of milk parked out in the open. Add in the sport muffler with no carpet and my wife (at that time) would have gone maybe two blocks before strangling me

Still- i have to wonder what direction i might have gone if i had accepted it . (Maybe the bottom of the cliff off of mulholland?)
I KNEW I should have just asked you, Dave!
So wait... he still has the car, and it still looks like that?
Do you still know him?
I have sort of a stupid fascination with this car.
Anyway... while you're here, are you going to be at TRE on Saturday?

derek
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
All said, if you see 40 mph on Mulholland today, consider yourself lucky.
True for the most part, but one can still get the odd run in very early, with abundant caution...

“Thank god there’s no 48-hour race anywhere in the world, because chances are nobody could beat Porsche in a 48 hour race.” Carroll Shelby, 1972.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

or on new years day

Chris still has his car. Don't know if it even runs. With the abundance of wild machinery on L.A.'s roads these days, would it even merit a glance ?

someone can tell chris the cops are no longer looking for him

Yes- we will be here this upcoming Saturday for clients picking up/ dropping off
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
i'm really just interested because i've heard about it so much. someone i work with used to race his 280Z up there at the same time chris was up there, so i'd heard all the wild porsche and "crazy charlie" (i think that's what he was called) with the beat up 427 vette and the weird gmc pickup... blah blah blah.

maybe he wants to sell it!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
oh wait!
i'm way too tall.
i'd never fit in a chop top 911.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Charlie (RIP) was indeed pretty crazy. The more he drank, the faster he would drive- it was the weirdest NON - M.A. D. D. thing one could think of.

I had a mini cooper S with radials and was having some fun up there in the rain. Fancying myself as Paddy Hopkirk, another friend in his built up 510 (also on radials ) we're having a great time . Out of nowhere we hear what sounded like the entire A Production grid at Riverside raceway. Yep, Charlie was on straight pipes and making a run.... on 13" wide slicks no less. Uh, he went by us like we were tied to the proverbial pole. And even with some well timed drifts and more aggressive driving we were left in about 4 turns worth of road... in the rain

To me Charlie will always be King of the Mountain. I know there were faster cars around, but he could put it together like no one else
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Charlie (RIP) was indeed pretty crazy. The more he drank, the faster he would drive- it was the weirdest NON - M.A. D. D. thing one could think of.

I had a mini cooper S with radials and was having some fun up there in the rain. Fancying myself as Paddy Hopkirk, another friend in his built up 510 (also on radials ) we're having a great time . Out of nowhere we hear what sounded like the entire A Production grid at Riverside raceway. Yep, Charlie was on straight pipes and making a run.... on 13" wide slicks no less. Uh, he went by us like we were tied to the proverbial pole. And even with some well timed drifts and more aggressive driving we were left in about 4 turns worth of road... in the rain

To me Charlie will always be King of the Mountain. I know there were faster cars around, but he could put it together like no one else
That's a great story!
I heard about his "drinking while RACING". Apparently, his little F-YOU to people he passed was to throw his just finished beer can out the window at them. Or the one-handed-drift-with-beer-can-in-the-other-hand style of driving.

Freakish!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:

someone can tell chris the cops are no longer looking for him
Some guys I knew would hide their cars in empty garages of homes they didn't even know if the cops were chasing them. They'd just hole up for an hour or so, then leave gingerly when the coast was clear.

Imagine hiding your car in Jack Nicholson's garage, or on Marlon Brando's darkened driveway. LOL!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I have a copy I bought off Ebay...cost $30 you want it?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by dd74
Some guys I knew would hide their cars in empty garages of homes they didn't even know if the cops were chasing them. They'd just hole up for an hour or so, then leave gingerly when the coast was clear.

Imagine hiding your car in Jack Nicholson's garage, or on Marlon Brando's darkened driveway. LOL!
Yeah. Somebody tell Chris he can take his car out now. I wax nostalgic for days I never experienced... only through story.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Here is a real story: Tommy was one of the group of buddies in CRE (Clandestine Racing Enterprises) actually started as Crotch Racing Enterprises, but that is another story.
Tommy was very talented with his driving but short on $ (who wasn't?) He had a 1600 VW bug with reversed rear rims and decambered back there as well. With a Bursch muffler it probably made about 45-50 hp?

Anyway Tommy was flying solo one day up on the hill. He was having a great time going from West to East between Beverly Glen and Coldwater Cyn. As he passed the fire station there was a LAPD going the other way. Since Tommy has no driver license on him (too many infractions) he decided to high tail it. The cop did a u and started with the lights, then the siren. Tommy was driving his head off thru this tight but uphill section. The cop could drive fairly decent and in short order was gaining ground on the poor lil VW.
Tommy got some distance between them before Brando's house, but the cop regained it on the straightaway just before Coldwater.
"Aha, I will lose them over Franklin Canyon" Tommy thought. Franklin Canyon used to be partially paved, mostly dirt and wound its way down the hill into Beverly Hills.
And so Tommy did lose the cop just jamming down Franklin doing his best Ivan Stewart impression with the lil bug. Tommy was now worrying about the fact that a radio is faster than any car. So what to do? As he got back into the residential area of Frankin on the B.H. side, there was an open garage door. PERFECT! He jammed into it, got out and closed the door.
Here is the just rewards part: A car pulls up the the garage, the door opens. The owner of the house has returned home from shopping. "Please, please lady, please don't tell any..." and at that moment the LAPD slides up to ask "Hey Lady! Have you seen.. Hey YOU!!! Hold it right there, you are under arrest!"

Tommy had to pay restitution for the cop car's dented fenders, bumpers, and wheel damage suffered over Franklin. He spent some time in jail. He lost his license for a looong time.

Postscript. Tommy and another racing buddy Victor, took a Peugeot 505 to the best all time road racing victories in SSB SCCA Racing. They actually made money with it!
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Here is the just rewards part: A car pulls up the the garage, the door opens. The owner of the house has returned home from shopping. "Please, please lady, please don't tell any..." and at that moment the LAPD slides up to ask "Hey Lady! Have you seen.. Hey YOU!!! Hold it right there, you are under arrest!"
LOL!!!

Hilarious!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Was the color of that Bug white? I remember a white Bug that was pretty quick. Rumor had it a flat six was in it. I didn't even think you could a flat six in a Bug.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: