Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

king of the mountain ? that movie was shot using a lot of the ACR (Associated Canyon Racers) cars in Griffith Park at nite and on Mulholland. Its been so darn long that I could not tell you if it was really any good. Technically it sucked since when could a speedster replica dust off all comers? Then again, maybe one of their tech advisers were up there when one of the capably driven bugs shot thru there.

I would enjoy writing a book with Jack Olsen helping- he's got the skills that i lack with regards to putting it all together. The story telling inspiration (and stack of bibles guys; all i have posted is absolutely true!) came from reading a Road and Track story called "Thunder Bug and other racing tales" I think

Thanks for the kudos guys- Some great memories there
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-10-2007, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup
king of the mountain ? that movie was shot using a lot of the ACR (Associated Canyon Racers) cars in Griffith Park at nite and on Mulholland. Its been so darn long that I could not tell you if it was really any good. Technically it sucked since when could a speedster replica dust off all comers? Then again, maybe one of their tech advisers were up there when one of the capably driven bugs shot thru there.

I would enjoy writing a book with Jack Olsen helping- he's got the skills that i lack with regards to putting it all together. The story telling inspiration (and stack of bibles guys; all i have posted is absolutely true!) came from reading a Road and Track story called "Thunder Bug and other racing tales" I think

Thanks for the kudos guys- Some great memories there
Well Dave,
As we were discussing earlier, you definitely could do soo much better than the Banning and "Screenwriter-Dude" book.

Like, oh, keeping a consistent time line going.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche930dude
is the movie any good? if its anything like you guys are saying it was in real life. it deinatly would be somthing to see
All the movie was good for was launching Harry Hamlin's career. I thought it sucked.

If someone were to produce a true Mulholland story, it should have interviews with the racers, the cops that patrolled it, the fans and residents. Old girlfriends would really be good as it seemed to me girls went up there to party and meet guys, and the racing was to them a meddling sidenote that took the attention from them.

Sample: I was stopped up there by a romper-stomper of a cop who wanted to prove his point that no one would get away from him. He pulls me out of my car, and point-by-point, explains how his pursuit car had a full cage (it didn't), a hyped motor (no-just factory pursuit style from GM), and a set up suspension (...sure, but explain the stock radials, officer.) He then told me he could arrest me if he wanted, but would rather race me. It'd be all I needed if he crashed, hurt himself or worse. So, no, I respectfully declined his challenge.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

There was that TV show with David Cassidy called I think "David Cassidy, Man Under Cover" That had some street racing up in Mulolland I think even in an RSR. Boy that was a long time ago. Hats off to anyone who can find that eppisode !

Might be this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0554945/

Last edited by Pete000; 01-10-2007 at 08:44 PM..
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

The older I get, the better I was... I'm not saying all of this isn't true...it's just that human memory tends to remember the good things while forgetting the bad. Therefore, in my memory mind's eye, the girls were prettier, the cars were faster, the sky was bluer, and the fun was more frequent than it probably really was..."back then"...
Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

A close relation of mine was pulled over on the hill one night driving a Datsun 510. The officer looked over the car which was shod with radial tires on Libres, lowered nicely, Momo wheel, Corbeau seat, racing belts, etc. The officer poked in the window and said to my relative, "Well, you seem like you know what you're doing. We're mainly worried about the kids up here in Mom's station wagon. Just slow it down a little and have a nice night." I believe, "Thank You Officer." was his reply.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

FYI some more info from the LA Times back in June '06: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/highway1/la-hy-125mulholland21jun21,1,6843614.story?page=1&coll=la-news-highway_1
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Cottrell
A close relation of mine was pulled over on the hill one night driving a Datsun 510.
I use to take my Datsun 510 up there all the time. I still need to get another 510 to put all those BRE parts I have saved over the years.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by pwd72s
The older I get, the better I was... I'm not saying all of this isn't true...it's just that human memory tends to remember the good things while forgetting the bad. Therefore, in my memory mind's eye, the girls were prettier, the cars were faster, the sky was bluer, and the fun was more frequent than it probably really was..."back then"...
too funny!

Where's MalibuExec to "one - up" everyone???

Doug
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Dave,
I just faded back in..... Still enjoying this thread. I almost crapped when I read my post. I MEANT to say that your 914-6 is a very seriious car when pushed, NOT implying that you don't use it. Apology. Besides, I am the one whose brother complains that I am starting to drive my 930 Ltwt like an old man.... True... except when on boost [too much traffic for much of that where I live. Time to move out and away.]

Didn't Dan McGloughlin [sp?]... had a genuine RSR white/blue.. used to run that a lot? Or was it more fun and show?

I wish we had areas like that in NCal. Big Sur was quite something tho.. just rather lonely and rarely anyone to play with. BTW some of us up here used to sneak into Laguna and run at night. Not often. At that time the Army MPs ruled and would get very irate at us but did nothing else. The corkscrew at night was a thrill.

JR
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

JR
- you guys sneaked into laguna? very cool - especially at night! The roads up around Big Sur are terrific. Many a Laguna race weekend run has beckoned the CRE gang to travel those byways

Dan Mc Gloughlin had several different cars, and i mean way different! He was involved with George Lucas' THX1138 with the Lola T 70 coupes. He got back one of them, after the move (don't remember if it was the crashed one or not) and put it back together as a cool street car. He was friends with James Garner and with the impending demise of JG's A.I.R. race team, Dan got the right to use the name. Hence how American Inernational Racing was born in Burbank.
I met Dan for the first time on Van Nuys Bl cruise night. My tongue was on the floor at the sight of the lola , resplendent in dark blue with its AIR logo draped across the nose.

He was so cool describing the process of legalizing the car for the street, how he had to be so careful since the nose was so low, the cops all over it anytime it was out. You gotta remember that back in the early 70's , a Lola T 70 was like a ground bound space ship. Today it looks dated compared to the murcielagos, diablos, enzos, etal.

Anyway Dan must have hung around up there before "my" time with the some of his cars. I distinctly remember his customized GT 350 styled fastback, his hybrid Camaro (70's rear end on a 68-69 front end) ,, Mini Cooper S's, his black Miura with GT 40 headlamps. All this was before he got into the fiberglass porsche biz.
Growing up in the valley afforded me with some great after school activities. After school, my walk home took me past Dean Jeffries (before he was up on the hill overlooking the 101) and George Barris'. I saw the Batmobile being born from the left over Ford Futurama show car that just sat out in the elements. The fender reshaping was immediately obvious, even to a 11 year old boy: " This thing looks like a bat car!" I exclaimed when Barris' crew was doing the mods in secret before the show. ( I always got to go to the back shop where the cool trick stuff was happening)

When I got my license, then it was AIR, the three Porsche dealerships (Bob Smith in Hollywood offered a 911R for sale for 8k or best offer- please just buy this and get it out of here!), and a couple other cool car shops. So it was an interesting and fun way to learn about cars

When Dan started on the Porsche biz, he had done some prototype work for Fiberfab and Mitcom. The RSR's started showing up , needing repairs , mods, etc. and his talent really shined with all the designs he would come up with. Some were rather interesting.... to be polite, but he really worked hard at it.
When Andial and Howard Meister wanted to build the ultimate 935, Drag racer/ designer // engineer Glenn Blakely penned a superb narrow tube frame that Dan clothed with a slick body. It went on to win Daytona 24 in the hands of T Bird Swap Shop owner Preston Henn.

A lot of us knew the regulars that we saw up on the hill . Though we may not have been daily friends, there was a certain respect between the various groups and individuals. For sure there were the bad apples. There was a auto shop set up in Van Nuys called MRA (Mulholland Racing Association) that worked on a lot of mini's. Curious thing: If the name plate on the back of the mini was upside down, then it was a sign not to steal it. Yep, that kind of place.

Compared to the 1 Adam 12 Matadors and Plymouth Belvederes that the cops had, small sports cars were able to out run them when the conditions allowed. These cars were certainly not fast by today's standards, but nimble compared to the muscle cars and other offerings.
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Update Time!

Dave, et. al

I talked to Arnie this afternoon and told him you were spinning yarns about the Mulholland days. He laughed, but he did give me a few details that I thought I'd throw out there.

1) The chopped, square-bumper 911 shown in the picture that started this thread began its life as A REAL 73 RSR!! It came from a local race team and Arnie brought it back to life and made it into what you see in the picture. It had a FACTORY-built 2.8RSR motor with high butterfly injection...back then. Looking back he's a bit sorry, but back then nobody gave a crap.

2) The guy who owned it back then still owns the car. Arnie tried to buy it back from him in the last year or so, but the guy has a death grip on it and won't let it go. However, it is being stored properly - on jack stands in a garage, covered, and parked next to a Ferrari TR.

Just thought you'd like to know...
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup
It went on to win Daytona 24 in the hands of T Bird Swap Shop owner Preston Henn.
I thought it was Kevin Jeanette and Gunnar Racing that prepped that car for Preston Henn.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Wow, great thread, wish I could have experienced all that. Great story telling Dave, you can give stefan a run for the money , Cant wait for your book. Thanks guys
Old 01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Re: Update Time!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr9146
Dave, et. al

I talked to Arnie this afternoon and told him you were spinning yarns about the Mulholland days. He laughed, but he did give me a few details that I thought I'd throw out there.

1) The chopped, square-bumper 911 shown in the picture that started this thread began its life as A REAL 73 RSR!! It came from a local race team and Arnie brought it back to life and made it into what you see in the picture. It had a FACTORY-built 2.8RSR motor with high butterfly injection...back then. Looking back he's a bit sorry, but back then nobody gave a crap.

2) The guy who owned it back then still owns the car. Arnie tried to buy it back from him in the last year or so, but the guy has a death grip on it and won't let it go. However, it is being stored properly - on jack stands in a garage, covered, and parked next to a Ferrari TR.

Just thought you'd like to know...
Regarding my original question that started this thread...
THAT'S WHAT I CALL AN ANSWER!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DW SD
too funny!

Where's MalibuExec to "one - up" everyone???

Doug
Hmmm, I read that there was a nasty fire in Malibu...8 beach front homes destroyed. I wondered if...
Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by pwd72s
Hmmm, I read that there was a nasty fire in Malibu...8 beach front homes destroyed. I wondered if...
Don't even go to there, man. Some things are just off limits.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey, I just wondered...I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Suzanne Sommers was the only victim's name I read. She's had enough problems...besides, I think you answered.

(edit) Sorry I wandered off topic...I'd like to hear more of the old times in that area. Tell me guys, if you "come off the line" at sunset & vine, is there really a "dead man's curve"?

Last edited by pwd72s; 01-11-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

For those of us that haven't raced Mulholland, please explain. How can you spectate a road race? Seems the best you could do is catch a glimpse of 1 or 2 turns?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Quote:
+1.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: