Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

customer service rep won't give full name for reference

Is this something new or I am totally out of date?
This morning is the second time I encountered with this situation when I asked the customer service rep for their name, they gave me last name and won't give me the first name. I asked for first name, she said I won't give you my first name for personal reason. I talked to her supervisor and the sup said the same thing.
The first time I asked same question, the girl acted suprise when I asked.
Anyway, now the question is if there is anything in the future, future person will ask "who gave you this info?". What do I say? "someone with xyz last name and no first name". What is her first name? "she won't give me her first name". Isn't this funny? I ask if this is some kinds of new policy in California? She said "yes". When prefering to previous conversation, you will need to give the person last name, time/date the conversation happend, location of the office (because they have multiple offices). Wow, is this a way for companies to get away from their trouble? Anyone encountered this yet?

Last edited by rnln; 06-01-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Too many nut jobs out there. Usually I find they'll give a first but no last name. Ask for an employee ID or station/service number. I've used those for reference on follow-up calls or when passed onto the next level of "support."
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Who did the what now?

Garage
What Josh said. Last name but no first name for protection is stupid.

Mark Donahue
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Used to be a time that you only addressed people formally, Mr./Mrs. Whateveryournameis.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Used to be a time that you would talk to a Mr./Mrs. Whateveryournameis when you called customer service. Now I find 90% of the time I'm talking to some "kid" who's pissed off his/her station in life is as a customer service rep and wants to know when the rest of society will give them what they "deserve".

That is why 90% of my customer service calls start out with "You're not paid enough to deal with what I'm about to say, so save us both the time and get me your manager."
Old 06-01-2010, 12:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by myamoto1 View Post
Used to be a time that you would talk to a Mr./Mrs. Whateveryournameis when you called customer service. Now I find 90% of the time I'm talking to some "kid" who's pissed off his/her station in life is as a customer service rep and wants to know when the rest of society will give them what they "deserve".

That is why 90% of my customer service calls start out with "You're not paid enough to deal with what I'm about to say, so save us both the time and get me your manager."
I used to get an attitude pretty much immediately, always expecting grief.

Then one day I said to one of them who was responding from "the script", "does it piss you off that your employer makes you sound like an idiot?" Surprisingly he said, Yes.

They are for the most part people doing what they do to make a living.

So now I start most of my conversations with, "I know you just work there and don't set the policies so if I start to sound upset or frustrated don't take it personally, I am not upset with you, just your employer"

I have a fairly high success rate with that approach and find they are willing to go farther in supplying information and help.

They hear crap and complaints all day long. No reason for them to want to go the extra mile for more of that.

Acknowledging them has worked better for me.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
I used to get an attitude pretty much immediately, always expecting grief.

Then one day I said to one of them who was responding from "the script", "does it piss you off that your employer makes you sound like an idiot?" Surprisingly he said, Yes.

They are for the most part people doing what they do to make a living.

So now I start most of my conversations with, "I know you just work there and don't set the policies so if I start to sound upset or frustrated don't take it personally, I am not upset with you, just your employer"

I have a fairly high success rate with that approach and find they are willing to go farther in supplying information and help.

They hear crap and complaints all day long. No reason for them to want to go the extra mile for more of that.

Acknowledging them has worked better for me.
BINGO

I worked on the phones for a few years, it's a tough way to make a buck... people will treat you in ways they would NEVER behave in person. When you get a rude customer, your #1 goal is to get them off the phone. Imagine, hour after hour of that. During that tenure, one of my favorite jobs was taking escalated calls from irate customers. I liked the challenge.

If you have a legit gripe, do exactly as posted above. Make it so they DON'T want to hang up on you. They usually have call handle time stats, and off call stats they have to meet, so a long call with off-call follow up work to fix SOMEONE ELSE's screw-up is not something they will instinctively want to take on. If you want something made right, you need them (or their manager) to be your advocate. That only happens if you can get them to side with you, and you get that by relating to them as human beings. Ask them about their job, they work full time? what city are they in? Get a glimpse, it goes a long way. They'll help you.

I took this approach with Bell. They backdated my cell bill changes for 5 mnths and actually cut a $1700 check instead of just issuing a credit.
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Indian names are very long and hard to spell. They probably wanted to save you the trouble.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Binge User

I just started my one week of swing shift (rotating shifts). Part of my job is to answer phones, especially after customer service closes. I get a lot of calls from delinquent customers who haven't paid their utility bill, water is usually the first to get cut. I'm glad the phone conversations aren't recorded yet.

It gets real ugly when we have a large area affected by dirty water. We had an incident a few weeks back. I warned my supervisor about an irate customer I had to terminate a call with due to her foul & abusive language. He happened to walk into the control center while she was calling back & he took the call. It was priceless, he got a full measure of what we deal with all the time.

In the last 10 years, I have received several letters from happy customers & no complaints yet (knock on wood). I try to be sympathetic & will do anything in my power to try to help people & do my job correctly. If a customer doesn't like my answer & demands to speak to my supervisor, I tell them to call back the next day. There are exceptions, but I have quite a bit a latitude to make decisions.

The quickest way to drop my IQ by 50 points is to go all PMS on me. The quickest way to get hung up on is the drunken rage. I deal with a lot of justifiable upset people, but that's no excuse to take their bad day out on me. You can yell & curse at me all you want if one of our water mains ruptured & is flooding your home, but don't start cursing me because you moved in, didn't get the water in your name, & after 3 months of not paying a bill, your disconnected.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The most frustrated I got many times nowaday is the script "sorry we can't do that" repeatedly, until you got pissed and ask "you can't do what?" and firm on your question. Sometiems, it turns out that the custom rep didn't even listen to your request :lol:
Asking for supervisor or manager, they can just simply say "sorry manager is not available, would you wnt to wait? If you decide to wait, you can just sit there ans whistle for hours.
For several years now, customer services in this country, especially California, has changed completely.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I have worked phones in several jobs and in both cases performance was judged on call turn times. Instead of submarining someones stats, I just go straight for the manager. They're not usually held to call times and are paid to deal w/ the more difficult calls.

I usually give the company several opportunities to correct a problem, before making "the call." If they fail to correct known and reported issues in a reasonable time, they can expect a call from me and 90% of the time I will be requesting a refund/discount for (lack of) service. The companies I've had issues with (cable, cell) typically require manager appoval. They've already wasted my time, why would I want to waste more of my time and the time of someone that is (usually) unable to help me?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: