Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 3.69 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Filet Mignon stuffed with Lobster wrapped in bacon. YUMMMMMM! The sides were, asparagus, twice baked potato, small salad... This was actually last Sunday's dinner I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

Sweet. How do you cook that?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

A little Pyrex explosion in the oven ruined a "would have been" good dinner last night. Home made truffle fries, zuchinni, and bbq flank steak. The flank steak was great.

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr. 4x4
1974 VW Thing (my back burner project)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Sweet. How do you cook that?
I don't know.. If it was in the summer I would do it on the grill. I'll get her to post up how she did it for you guys. I AM NO COOK! LOL!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
If you would. What I want to know is, how do you get the bacon crisp? Is it baked? Fried whiile rolling around in the pan? Broiled on edge?

Dan, that is a scary glass mess. I have never had that happen! You must've wet your pants. Was it loud?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Dan, that is a scary glass mess. I have never had that happen! You must've wet your pants. Was it loud?
I was sitting at the computer when it exploded. (about 5 feet away) It sounded like an M80 went off inside the oven. I'm glad it did not damage the oven.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
If you would. What I want to know is, how do you get the bacon crisp? Is it baked? Fried whiile rolling around in the pan? Broiled on edge?
It is very easy to make and I modified it from this recipe down below:

In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and a pinch each of salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onions and stir. Add the wine, increase the heat, and cook until it has nearly all evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and stir. Remove from the heat, stir in the cooked pancetta, and let cool.

Spread the butterflied beef, cut side up, flat on a surface. Spread the pancetta-vegetable mixture in a line across the meat, about 2 inches from the top, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the sides. Lay the lobster tails on top of the mixture, going across the beef. Pull the top flap over the lobster tails and roll the meat over the stuffing, jellyroll fashion, and tuck in the ends. Tie with kitchen twine every 2 inches.

The first time I made it I made it with the pancetta and the wine etc. The last time I made it I did not include as many ingredients as before. I actually used my mini chopper (Cuisinart to dice the lobster meat really like a grated way) Then I mixed about a cup of grated lobster meat with half a cup of bread crumbs and mixed with an egg. I took this mixture and followed the directions to butterfly the beef. I like to wrap with bacon because it really keeps all the mixture in. I broiled these in the oven to each different temp. Mine- well down and Bill's medium rare(1 pink stripe through the middle)
Super easy!!! let me know if you have further questions.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage

Shrimp and crawfish boil

Mardi Gra Party last weekend, shipped in shrimp and crawfish overnight from some shop in New Orleans areas.

So fresh I swear they pulled the critters out of the water friday and we cooked it salurday
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncroid View Post
I was sitting at the computer when it exploded. (about 5 feet away) It sounded like an M80 went off inside the oven. I'm glad it did not damage the oven.
Dan,

Why did this happen?
The only Pyrex failures I ever have are dropping them in the cast-iron/porcelain sink.

I guess I’ll have to join in here as “The Simple Cook”.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Yum. I'll have to try this soon. Question for Mrs. Bill:

1. do you steam the lobster tails before assembling, or are they raw?
2. Please post pertinent contact details for your sister :-)

Quote:
Spread the butterflied beef, cut side up, flat on a surface. Spread the pancetta-vegetable mixture in a line across the meat, about 2 inches from the top, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the sides. Lay the lobster tails on top of the mixture, going across the beef. Pull the top flap over the lobster tails and roll the meat over the stuffing, jellyroll fashion, and tuck in the ends. Tie with kitchen twine

Last edited by jyl; 03-12-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Last night's sushi dinner...

eel, tuna, crab and avocado "tower"...
www.ford.com
Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
I made shrimp scampi for my dads bday....
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Clay View Post
Dan,

Why did this happen?
The only Pyrex failures I ever have are dropping them in the cast-iron/porcelain sink.

I guess I’ll have to join in here as “The Simple Cook”.

Best,
Grady
Grady,
From what I have read, the original Pyrex formula was changed when Corning was bought out by another company. If you have Pyrex that is 25 + years old, you should be okay to use it in the oven. My wife won't be using any of her "newer" Pyrex in the oven any more. We still have plenty of the "good ol stuff."
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Here's tonight's dinner.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Marinade is - see if I can remember - 1 cup rice wine, 1/4 cup soy sauce, about 2" of ginger cut in slices, 4 cloves crushed garlic, 1-2 star anise, some pepper, a couple chopped scallions, peel of a tangerine or orange, and about 3 tbsp sugar.

Cut two chicken breasts into 1-2" pieces and marinate in this mixture for about 1/2 hour. Remove chicken, shake off the excess marinade. Heat a cast iron skillet or wok to as hot as you can get it, add oil, brown chicken - a few pieces at a time, for about 30 sec per side. Don't actually cook the chicken - after 30 sec, remove the batch even if not browned. Return chicken to marinade, bring all to boil, reduce to simmer, and braise for 10 min or more, until as done as you like. Do this in a fairly small pot so that the marinade covers the chicken; add a bit of chicken stock if needed to cover. Remove chicken again, remove and discard ginger and star anise. Optional: use blender, immersion blender, or food processor to puree marinade. Bring to boil, boil for about 1/2 to reduce to a sauce. Add some sauce to a bowl, stir in about 2 tbsp corn starch, whisk into the sauce to thicken. Return chicken to sauce and simmer a couple minutes until chicken is reheated, then serve. Sauce should be pretty strongly flavoured and chicken should be dark enough to pass for meat.

The marinade is actually prettier than the finished dish, which is kind of dull-looking, so decorate it with anything bright - I had tangerines.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The rice is black rice, sauteed in oil, then add 2.5 parts chicken stock to 1 part rice, and cook until done. I used a pressure cooker, 15 minutes, in a regular pot it will take 40 min I'll guess.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Yum. I'll have to try this soon. Question for Mrs. Bill:

1. do you steam the lobster tails before assembling, or are they raw?
2. Please post pertinent contact details for your sister :-)
1 - Steamed. Then I chop them up them up very fine.

2 - Nope, NO sister. Just cousins and freinds...

Good luck and take a pic when you make it.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Tonight's dinner. Home made lasagna. YUMMMMMM!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
We are going traditional tonight. Prime rib + Rioja Riserva . . .

Enjoy. We will.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Tonight's dinner. Home made lasagna. YUMMMMMM!

Looks great, Bill!!

BTW-are you cooking on the 19th?

It wouldn't be horrible if Sandy were to whip up a batch of her meatballs.

Wayne
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Vegetarian chili tonight...

Eating vegetarian chili in the laundry room, which doubles as the "man cave"...
www.ford.com
Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a bachelor and you guys are killin' me
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
lonely man spag sauce warming the stone counter wiliest it cools before it goes to the freezer. from there it waits on a thaw the day i call upon it. a lasagna is not out of the question...

its Italian, so "where's quito?".......

(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: