Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.82 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Glad to have a V8

Just wanted to post some info about the V8 conversion that I recently performed. The subject has been posted several times, but mainly debates of right or wrong. So here goes.
The car is a 76 911S with a turbo look steel body kit and a RS 3.8 rear wing,and had an RS spec. 2.7 with about 18,000 miles on the motor. After a hard drivers ed the 2.7 lost no. 5 and 6 cyl. so I decided what I needed was something a little different. Then I bought a four bolt main Chevy 350 and installed flat top pistons, shotpend and smoothed rods, Holley System Max cam and intake kit, pocket ported and port matched heads, roller rockers, 7 qt oil pan, windage tray, and MSD multistrike ign. system with rev. limiter, topped by a Holley 750 Vac. Sec. carb. The engine is built so I moved on to the trans., first was to change to an aluminium cased 915 and install custom fourth and fifth gear ratios from Powerhaus to allow cruising at 70mph at only 2000rpm. First through third are stock. The clutch disc is a Kevlar faced unit from Motormiester and a stock 911SC pressure plate. This can hold something like 430Lb of torque, and is as smooth and light as a stock SC. Engine to trans adapter and flywheel were from Kennedy Engineering which were both of high quality.
For the cooling system I deviated a little from the norm. by using an electric water pump from Mesier, this unit is slick, uses 5.7amps will pump 35 gal/min at 9psi. It also is rebuildable and has an estimated life of 2500hrs. I choose this pump to help keep the weight forward. The pump is mounted in the front of the car behind a Griffin 1.25in two core radiator. I did have to cut a hole in the front, ahead of the gas tank but this is the only hole, a piece that I kept in case the car is ever restored to Porsche power. The gas tank I cut down to 15 gallons to allow and air outlet for the radiator. The valance was also cut to allow an inlet and it only appears that a front oil cooler has be added. In the front trunk the spare was replaced with a can of fix-a-flat and a cell phone, but it still has a decent trunk. The coolant hoses are run under the car with a 1.25in hose from engine to radiator then out of the radiator to pump then two 3/4in hose to the dual inlets on the front of the engine block. Two 12in electric fans and a 100amp alternator do a good job of keeping things cool, can get to 210 on a 98degree day in traffic with the air-conditioning on, but runs on the 180 degree thermostat on the road.
The brakes were upgraded with Hawk HP+ pads, and braded hoses. The suspinsion was treated to turbo rear tors. bars, turbo tie rods, front strut brace, Bilsten Sports shocks. The tires and wheels are 17in turbo twists with 215/45s front and 255/40 rear Bridgestone SO-2s.
The car handles well and does not feel tail heavy, there is a little bit of push in turns that did not use to be there but will install adjustable roll bars to dial in. The car is very, very fast and feels like it, however the motor is quieter at speed than the Porsche engine was, no cooling fan. Now you nail the gas at 2,000rpm it pulls like crazy and continues to pull to 6,000rpm. I love it, if you have a desire to do this conversion don't let your opinionated budys keep you from it, believe me they will grin wide when you take them for a spin around the block.

This conversion may not be your cup of tea but please refrain from brow/beating this V8 conversion fan, its all fun....
Old 07-24-2000, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
OH BOY !!! Are you going to get some heat from the hard core porsche guys,from my point of view if you are happy with that spagetti combo deluxe package im happy for you,a porsche without a porsche engine is no longer a porsche.

Old 07-24-2000, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How bout a couple of pictures? I'd love to see it!!!
Old 07-24-2000, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I'd love to see pictures also, and -- since this is seen generally as an economical alternative to a Porsche upgrade, how about a side-by-side comparison of costs and features? For instance, what would a comparable Porsche engine cost, versus the CSB? I say purists be damned -- these cars were designed to go fast and perform well. If a V8 accomplishes that as well as a turbo, so what? I personally prefer the sound and other characteristics of the flat six, but I won't hold it against anyone else if they favor a different path. Men should settle their differences on the track, and not take the specifics of what's under their butts too seriously.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe
http://members.rennlist.com/jackolsen/Jalopy.html

Old 07-24-2000, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Somehow I just don't remember looking at the 911 when I was 18 and saying "Man I bet a V-8 would kick ass in that car".

Just my opinion, but what Dr. Porsche created was a whole car not something to be Frankenstiened. I hope I don't sound preachy but that's what this board is all about.

------------------
Mark Isaak
'74 Targa
Old 07-24-2000, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very interesting. I appreciate your guts for also posting your project here where the snipers can see it. Please also post a picture if you can.

I'd still like to see the big block and blower mounted up front. Rat Fink. Doesn;t anyone respect Rat Fink anymore?

I like my 911 just the way it is. It's bone stock. But for those who desire a more custom ride, more power to ya. Indeed, if everyone else customized their cars, the value of mine would skyrocket.

------------------
'83 SC

Old 07-24-2000, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

K. Congrads!! I Got some parts that I was waiting for today and if all goes well I hope to be posting something very similar with in a month.

s
Old 07-24-2000, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Senior Registered User

Garage
K, Thanks for sharing your "Hot Rod" with us. There are a few people here who are adult enough to look at your project and realize you are having fun. Is that not what a "Hot Rod " is for. Maybe most of the straight arrows don't have the brains or balls to take on such a project, if they can't read it in the book there lost. Some of these folks are too pinched up. If Dr. Porsche was so cool then why of why are 99% of his greatest crations changed. All of these parts stores that sell everything from better brakes to SSI exhaust must be making money and don't let the snipers get you down. I would like to see a 911 with a "Mouse Motor" mounted behind the front seats and put another trunk under the rear deck lid. Some rich guy did it with a 911 motor how about a small block Chevy. Last night folks were typin about hydrulic chain tens failing,whats there thought because it says PORSCHE the good fairy blesses the parts or something. If you can't say something nice about a guys "Hot Rod" they you should SHUT UP and get a life, this is for fun guys!
Old 07-24-2000, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've got a way to go on my conversion. It was nice to see your post and find you've had good results with the outcome. I find it very interesting that you used an electric pump. I seen some with 'dial in' temperature capabilities on electric pumps, but never heard of anyone trying one out. i wonder if that's what your using.
Please keep us 'interested ones' in the know on any suggestions or things to keep on the lookout for......other than the snipers!

skip in Va
Old 07-24-2000, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"Registered Sniper"

------------------
Leland Pate

___79 SC Targa
Old 07-24-2000, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What do you expect when you post bragging about a butchered V8 911 in a Porsche forum? Everyone to go wow you are so right a V8 is what my Porsche has always been missing.

Since you asked for it you got it.

Uptight purists? I really don't think anyone here really gives a **** what you do to your car but you are posting here bragging about how superior an alternative it is to a 911 motor what do you think the reaction will be?
I have a dust control business and my trucks are custom made from big rigs so designing and modifying vehicles is no big deal for myself, and as far as being a few being straight arrows unable to comprehend building something like this I'd say we have more engineering know how and common sense to not attempt to do this to a 911 knowing what the consequences will be with the end result, a car that will be falling apart daily with major design flaws from shade tree engineering.
Your result; a loud, hot, heavily vibrating car thats a torture chamber to drive
Just try and take that car on the track for 45 minutes at 140+
Maybe I can understand doing this to a wrecked 911 or just a shell as an alternative to an expensive restoration but your end result will be back in the wrecking yard in 10 years because, who would want it and its too butchered for someone to return to original condition.
Last time I checked this is the 911 Porsche forum, not the kit car or Renegade V8 forum, maybe your comments would receive less flak and be more welcome there.

[This message has been edited by jryerson (edited 07-24-2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Why does this always happen when V8 conversions come up? All sorts of things peole do to their Porsches -- aside from storing them inside a plastic bubble -- are not in the actual best interests of the cars. Track time dramatically increases the risks of damage being done to the cars -- from collisions and accidental mechanical over-revs more than anything else -- but also from the stresses of high-speed driving. Turbochargers and superchargers are a bad idea -- if preservation and longevity are part of your engineering goals. Turning a stock street car into a track car means ruining its stock value. Adding aftermarket suspension and brakes also turns it into a different car.

My point is this: 99% of the cars discussed on this board, in one way or another, are getting used, and modified, and subjected to -- if nothing else -- creeping metal fatigue on a daily basis. No one gets bent out of shape about the addition of enormous spoilers, or turbo flares, or any of the other modifications that also (generally) deteriorate the long-term integrity of the car. For some reason the V8 conversions make people nuts -- even when the converter doesn't boast (as no one in this thread did) about "how superior an alternative [the V8 mule] is to a 911."

Again, I am not a fan of V8 conversions. But then again, I'm not a fan of weekend wannabe racers putting the cars into walls and fenceposts, either. And I'm not a fan of the number of 911s that get junked every year because it's no longer economically viable to keep them running. Those are all bad things; they shrink the pool of available 'real' 911s for future generations. But why do people have to come down so hard on the V8 converters? I don't get it. A tiny minority of Porsche owners (and even a small minority of people on thie board) are really dedicated to doing everything in their powers to preserve the longevity of our cars. Most of us would much rather gamble it all and do the MOST dangerous thing you can do to a Porsche -- subject it to the risks of public roads and other drivers.

I don't want to start a flame war, here. But I am trying to suggest that when some of the tiny minority of Porsche owners who opt to do a non-Porsche engine swap decide to run a thread on a discussion board, we should give them a little break. It's going to be tough enough for them to get any respect in POC or PCA circles. Put any of us behind the wheel of our 911, and it's easy to forget: cars are still just cars. Porsches -- as great as they are -- are still mass-produced, consumer-oriented, four-passenger vehicles designed to get people to work, or to the store, or to grandmothers, and back again. They're not sacred cows. They are awesome cars. But they're just cars.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe
http://members.rennlist.com/jackolsen/Jalopy.html

[This message has been edited by JackOlsen (edited 07-24-2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think it is fair to accuse ks911 (the original poster) of bragging. Being proud of his (???, could be a she) efforts maybe, but that isn't bragging.

I liked his post - it was pretty informative. Like many of us here, it is not something I will be doing in a hurry but I still admire the effort involved and would most likely admire the finished product too.

Cam

------------------
----------------
Cameron Baudinet
1975 911S
Old 07-24-2000, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Lotus Elise...

With plans to drop the twin turbo V-8 from the Esprit...

The car currently weighs around 800lbs, (right?), and with only a sub 3 liter sub 170hp 4 cylinder manages under 4 secs to 60. It beats EVERY mass produced car in handling, and fun... Think about the same car with a lightweight, all aluminum twin turbo V-8.

Since you brougt up how "compromised" the 911 really is, I thought I'd share.

If I had one, and you dropped an inline 6 in that thing... Well, I'd feel bad for you, but keep it to myself.

But hey, your car, your money, your tastes, if you're happy, why should it matter what I or anybody else thinks?
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...

Old 07-24-2000, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Easy fellas, so much for the request to prevent brow/beaters.

JRYERSON
I am sorry that you don't care for my car or ideas but I did not ask your opinion before I started this project and your name is not on the title. Your opinions are not in good taste and you do not know me well enough to assume anything. This is a list for Porsches but it is not your list, so just for you I will continue to update everybody as this project continues.

To every one else, please don't misunderstand me I like the flat six alot, and I am not bragging that this conversion is better or for everyone. I have a small Porsche shop and have built several engines that were built for HP and have been very pleased with the results. This is also the first Chevy engine that I have ever owned, but I thought it would be a neat project outside the norm. and I like it!!!

And to all the supportive members, thanks!

[This message has been edited by ks911 (edited 07-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ks911 (edited 07-24-2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

ks911,

Congrats on the conversion. I am sure that you worked long and hard on the project. I personally think a chevy motor in a lightweight 911 would kick some serious a**. No more losing to stangs and z28s at the stoplights!

Bill

------------------
William Armentrout
1973 911T
2.7 carerra rs specs
www.geocities.com/william_armentrout
Old 07-25-2000, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
KS911 - thanks for the post. It's great to know that hotrodding is not dead. I look forward to updates on the evolution that will occur as upgrades are made to make the swap stronger and easy to live with daily. Obviously the fragile P-parts will show themselves in time. Enjoy the ride!
JRYERSON - it may be difficult for you to grasp (in true Porsche arrogance) but some folks just happen to have a talent for engineering that vastly exceeds your own. I've driven a V8 S10 for a decade with no problems whatsoever, on a daily basis. No bucket of bolts, to compromises, everything vastly superior to the stock vehicle. As for the Porchev, Porsche seems to have confused alluminum and magnesium with gold.
Old 07-25-2000, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

KS911:

Thanks for sharing your project would love to see some pictures. I am in the process of installing a 3.0 flat 6 in my 914 so I can appreciate the work you have gone through.

Check this guys 911 out he put in a 3cy GEO metro engine...
http://members.rennlist.com/993cc/

Good Luck
Have Fun

Joe A
Old 07-25-2000, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

KS911:
I liked your post.
Informative and interesting.
There is no excuse for people to be rude.

Installing a V8 into my 911 wouldnt be my thing, but I do like to hear about it, and hey I might change my mind some day. ;-)

Knowledge is power.
A closed mind is a dangerous mind.

Post some pics.
Do you have any performance stats?

Have Fun, Alex

------------------
911 2.7S Targa
email:alex@cascade.f9.co.uk
Old 07-25-2000, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Im so glad all of the V8 911 conversions now have a place to pat each other on the back
and reaffirm to each what an incredible engineering feat they have accomplished

Gee with all the money you'll now save from gastly maintenance costs on your faux Porsches you can put it to good use and buy a few more fake Rolexes, extra gold chains and Hi-Karate cologne so you look the part while crusing for Mustangs to blow off at stoplights and impressing the local high school girls
Old 07-25-2000, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: