Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Tesla's unfettered ambition will drain finances | Fox Business
Quote:
Musk unveiled one flashy strategy for generating cash during the launch event Thursday for the Semi truck,
Translation: they are using distraction to avoid facing the need for even more money due to them bleeding cash and need a new suckers to pay for the unkept promised make to the previous marks (classic Ponzi).
Old 11-19-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
He did not say electric was failing...... he said the bleed at Tesla was not sustainable.....
Bingo. You actually have to manufacture cars. Without losing money.

But that's OK let's talk about semi trucks and the cars I promise I'll be making in 2025. Because I don't want anyone to remember I promised i'd be making 20,000 Model 3s a month by now.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
So a truck with 3-500 mile range.. That really has to be the innovation the transport industry is waiting for.

Electric is not good at carrying weight, the more weight, the more energy you need
and the more batteries you have to carry, so the more energy you ened. etc etc

Unless they can put up a system for trucks to hook up to on the road, and use grid power, efficiency is going to be poor for any kind of real trucking.

The Swedes are doing just that and it makes more sense to me then Tesla's truck.

Last edited by svandamme; 11-19-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 11-19-2017, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Here's an article that puts those 30 minute truck charging times into perspective:

Motor Mouth: The inconvenient truth about Tesla’s truck | Driving

Quote:
More dramatically, plugging those numbers — 1,000 kW-h rechargeable in 30 minutes — into those same basic recharging calculations tells us a 2 MW (yes, two megawatts!) charger would be required to replenish the new Tesla 18-wheeler in the time Musk claims. That, as they say, is a game changer, since the 0.6 MW unit I mentioned earlier is so powerful it needs to be fully automated, is about the size of a small gas station kiosk and costs in the range of half a million bucks.
Charging one of those trucks in that sort of time would likely bring down the local power grid in most places...
Old 11-19-2017, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
They've had these in Europe since the 70s.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

Those ****ing things suck! The sprung line connectors are always coming of the wires so the bus stops and the driver comes out with a pole and traffic backs up. Many times an MBTA repair truck has to come out and **** with them. And the criss-crossed overhead lines are simply beautiful too. Really adds that extra special something to the scenery.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
I think some people love to be fooled.

John DeLorean squared.
Not buying that.

Delorean's were pieces of you know what. Tesla's are very credible vehicles.

Ever drive one? They are very tight and will rip your face off under acceleration.

I am talking the wimp ass 2013 S Model with the basic battery set up that provides 220 miles.

I grow weary of the Elon Musk beatings. Make your own electric cars if you are that good from your stuffed arm chair stance.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Those ****ing things suck! The sprung line connectors are always coming of the wires so the bus stops and the driver comes out with a pole and traffic backs up. Many times an MBTA repair truck has to come out and **** with them. And the criss-crossed overhead lines are simply beautiful too. Really adds that extra special something to the scenery.

:::
No doubt they suck but I posted the photo in response to "svandamme" post showing a truck using a similar system.

Electric vehicles? We've been here before. There really is nothing new under the sun.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Not buying that.

Delorean's were pieces of you know what. Tesla's are very credible vehicles.

Ever drive one? They are very tight and will rip your face off under acceleration.

I am talking the wimp ass 2013 S Model with the basic battery set up that provides 220 miles.

I grow weary of the Elon Musk beatings. Make your own electric cars if you are that good from your stuffed arm chair stance.
They are super cool cars, I drove a P85S and was super impressed. But they make zero sense without government subsidies and Musk is yet to deliver on any of his amazing claims. So has he built a cool car or two, yes! But is it a viable business, no!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
But is it a viable business, no!
or not yet.....
Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Tesla's are very credible vehicles.

Cool! and Fast! are not viable parameters for the general public to use as every day transportation that they can actually buy today for under $75k. This isn't Junior High School. Grow up, and realize that the average person need economical and reliable. Not cool and fast.

Tired of people pulling back the curtain on the Great Oz? In the words of Upsomthing... don't read them.
Lastly, I don't want to make an EV. I have reliable transportation now. I also don't want my tax dollars paying for the continued Ponzi, I mean, Elon Scam.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
Seattle 1953

Apparently Seattle started using trackless electric trolleys in 1940 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Seattle#1940.E2.80.931978

Last edited by island911; 11-19-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Old 11-19-2017, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
trolley busses indeed, but they are localized to an urban environment.. and only used by one organisation.

The idea with trucks is bigger distances.. That's what they are doing in Sweden.
And it could work as both running and charging EV..

Drive 400 km, then charge 50 km on the move, on a nice stretch.
drive 400 km, then charge 50

That way they would not need cables over the entire distance
yet keep the batteries packs managable in size and weight.

Unless they come up with some amazing new battery and charging tech, that would allow them to be competitive against petrol engines at 24 hours Du Mans..

Full electric on batteries, simply does not make any sense for transport industry.
It's not efficient, there is no endurance in it.
Trucks are about endurance, so if Le Mans can't compete EV to petrol
neither can trucks switch to full EV with batteries for the road.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
No more truck drivers?

Video in link

Tesla unveils first truck - and roadster
Tesla unveils first truck - and roadster - BBC News
George, Architect
Old 11-20-2017, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
Cool! and Fast! are not viable parameters for the general public to use as every day transportation
So what? Every car does not have to be a milquetoast transportation appliance.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Just want to chime in from Norway, where 20% of ALL current cars sold are electric now.

Of course, it's all driven by reduced taxes and incentives, but here where I live, west of Oslo, a Tesla S or X doesn't raise an eyebrow. Tesla sold 2674 vehicles in Norway in 2016 and are at 5210 as of now in 2017. Not many in the grand scheme of things, I know, but when total car sales are approx. 130 000 per year, it's quite a lot.

Yes, Norwegians are 'rich', and the Tesla still costs as much as it does abroad, but here it's priced as a similar sized Audi or BMW. Our normal car taxes are at about a 100% addition.

My point? (Do I have one? :-)) Tesla has paved the way for 'normal looking' electric cars, cars that people actually want. And together with VW eGolf, BMW i3, Nissan Leaf many people now enjoy a cheaper, newer car.

Range is getting better, and now with the politicians in European countries, together with China and India setting dates for ONLY zero emission vehicles in towns and whole countries in a not to far future, electrified cars are inevitable. And technology is going to get a significant boost in the years to come.

Tesla's future? I think they are going to have problems when the European giants are putting efforts to meet the environmental and political demands.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:

Please.

That POS can't even finish ONE LAP of VIR without going into death mode. A 1995 Chevrolet Impala would wax it's sorry ass. And it costs almost as much as a new 991.

For this you would fork over a hundred grand and demand a share of the US taxpayer? Some people do indeed love to be fooled.

And yes I have driven one. A one trick pony doing a one time 0-60 number that idiots wrap their heads around. It wasn't very "tight" either.

I grow weary of the Elon is a genius disciples. When he makes cars in volume that cost a fair price; quits sucking off the teat of the taxpayer who's struggling to afford his or her Corolla and can actually turn a profit the bashing will stop. Until then he and every moron who wants to have sex with him or his cars is fair game. And FWIW that POS DeLorean would lap Nurburgring faster than any car Musk produces. I suspect a Tucker would too.

Last edited by cairns; 11-20-2017 at 04:11 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
I have heard that the Tesla business plan was not to make cars, but to be the world's largest manufacturer of every type of battery!
Old 11-20-2017, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tributeventures View Post
I have heard that the Tesla business plan was not to make cars, but to be the world's largest manufacturer of every type of battery!
Tesla does not even make batteries...that's a myth. They assemble battery packs.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: