Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Are we not talking about the way cool new Tesla lorry and Roadster?

Ignoring him won't make him go away

They look pretty amazing, from what I can see.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Johnny Lieberman has some pretty interesting comments about the ridiculous torque claims.
On instagram.

Roadster looks nice, but $250k - not really a topic for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I like the centre driving position in the trucks... surprising they aren't all like that.

Those acceleration numbers for the roadster are pretty crazy... I have a hard time believing it has enough grip to accelerate all those batteries!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is Tesla even going to last long enough as a company to produce these? Isn't the Model 3 dragging them down, almost to the verge of failure?

That said, and 8.9 second quarter mile is some pretty serious stuff. Times like that take a lot more than just sheer power.
'93 Ducati 900 Super Sport
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 11-17-2017, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Walmart has ordered 15 trucks. If that testing goes well, trucks will save Tesla. UPS and FedEx must be watching Tesla carefully.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So, is this the beginning of the end for gasoline powered cars?
What are Porsche, Lmbo.....etc are going to do?
How are they going to beat the competition?
Do you want to drive an all electric Porsche 911?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Information Junky

Shaun, UPS builds their own trucks, and have started pilot testing electrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutmegCarrera View Post
Roadster looks nice, but $250k - not really a topic for me.
But the Tesla story still remains the same; an inexpensive electric car for the masses. --it's just around the corner.

Pay no attention to upward climb of Te$la offerings with appeal to the toy collectors. ...and that those offerings are STILL not profitable.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Musk has a habit of rolling out a prototype and promising an unrealistic production date and volume, with features that haven't been developed yet every time sometime someone takes a peak behind the curtain to see that the wizard is just a mediocre man with a lot of hype and special effects. Good job at being misled and missing the slight-of-hand yet again! Tesla doesn't have a place to produce either of these vehicles. I'd be willing to bet these prototypes were finished within the past few days. That doesn't mean they are production-ready. They probably haven't worked out how to even make them yet. The promised features will have a development timeline similar to Duke Nukem Forever.

Musk's semi can cover half the distance of a conventional semi. He claims it can charge in 20 minutes, but we know doing this to batteries severely limits their life. It is a day cab only so that severely limits its potential market, as does it's range. It will cost many multiples of comparable diesel, after subsidies. I bet the first one isn't delivered for five years, and even then each one will be a hand-built one-off for some high-profile corporate customer who buys them not for their utility but for the press coverage they will get. I'd bet they are all permanently garaged withing two years.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."

Last edited by legion; 11-17-2017 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Porscheholic

Garage
The Musk Scam takes a new turn to keep the money coming in.
Ponzi would be proud.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
The Musk Scam takes a new turn to keep the money coming in.
Ponzi would be proud.
Yup. All of those amazing new products are offered with an ever so low buy-in to get on the wait list! A nice scheme for a company that is hemmoraging cash and unable to get anywhere near their promised production rate for the new Model 3. They are grossly behind schedul on the 3, what idiot in their right mind thinks they can get into full production on their first semi in two years?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Really like!

Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Information Junky

oooh.... and a new audi
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Porscheholic

Garage
No big deal. Porsche did it years ago:

and, the flying Porsche will probably be a reality sooner than a profitable Tesla.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
The over the road truck doesn't make much sense. Diesels are most efficient at steady speeds and most OTR trucks operate outside congested areas. Where electric power would make more sense is local delivery trucks, where its use would get the noise and pollution of diesels out of cities.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
Ignoring him won't make him go away
Neither will the constant complaining about him.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
will your toaster still work when half the cars on the road are plugged in every day?

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
will your toaster still work when half the cars on the road are plugged in every day?
yup, I've got a gasoline powered toaster in the works right now.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 11-18-2017, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The guy has barely made 300 Model 3s when he promised he'd be making 20,000 per month by now.

But yes he's going to take you to the moon, Mars, hyper loop you around the planet in an hour, build a zero to 60 in 2 second roadster and other assorted BS. I think some people love to be fooled.

John DeLorean squared.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Except Musk did it on the government’s dime.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Except Musk did it on the government’s dime.

Except the government does not have any money. That is taxpayer’s money. As in MY money and your money.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-18-2017, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: