Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrician showed up today , worked a few hours then lunch . He has to go exchange one 220 breaker because I need a 60 amp for the old grey buzz box . All outlet boxes are mounted , all holes drilled and breaker box is mounted . Have to run internal wiring then turn to the trench . That is going to be messy the ground is saturated . Oh yeah rained like crazy this morning . Hopefully we'll be done today .

Siding guy showed up with his son to go over the job , unfortunately I was in the basement so didn't get to talk with them . So not sure if they are a go for tomorrow or not . The electrician knows the siding guy and they chatted , he said something about the mud may hold the guys off for a bit . Oh well it is what it is .
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)

Hey guys in about an hour day TWO of the ONE DAY install will begin To be fair the electrician has done a very clean install so I'm not complaining . All internal wiring is installed and nailed into place . All wiring that goes from inside to outside ( outlet/flood light/entry light/compressor room/mini split ) he just coiled up for me so I can terminate once the siding is on . I did it this way so I can make sure each one will land on a flat portion of the metal siding vs. a ribbed section .

Did the same for my ceiling lights and ceiling receptacles for cord reel work lights as I don't have a ceiling yet . So this morning will all be about digging the trench and running the conduit/wiring from the house to the garage . So far it's not raining and hopefully that will continue for the day . It still will be a muddy mess . The goal is to be done with electric today so I can move on .

The exterior aluminum trim is due to deliver today per the UPS tracking . Had a text volley with the siding guy last night his plan is to start on Saturday so I have tomorrow to get the trim up around the garage doors . I didn't ask him how long he thinks it would take to complete but I'd like to think just a few days . I will then terminate all exterior electrical wiring ( except compressor room ) . I plan on going to purchase the fiberglass insulation on Friday as long as its not raining . I will complete the interior of the front garage door wall by running wiring for the sensors , insulating , installing plywood and painting white so I will be ready when the garage doors come in which should be next week . That will get me weather tight other than the compressor room door opening .

I am going to map out on the house wrap where I want the siding guys to stop for the compressor room . Basically it will be 6 ' from the outside corner but I need to figure out where I want them to stop for the roof line . I just need to visualize and give them a horizontal line it's no big deal . They will leave me enough siding/flashing/outside corners to complete once I get the room poured/built . I am very excited to be this close to completion .

Last edited by rfuerst911sc; 02-22-2018 at 05:18 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)

OK we are now in character strengthening mode Got a call at 9:00 from electrician he came out to his truck this morning and big puddle of anti freeze ! He was staying with a relative who also has a truck and they are transferring tools and on their way . His Ditch Witch and all the conduit are already at my house he left that trailer here yesterday .

So he just got here we chatted for a few minutes and walked to the trailer to get the DW off............ you guessed it he left the key for the DW in his truck !!!! So he just left to go get the key and will be back........ you can't make this stuff up
Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)

Yep, that's why we call in the pros, to get things done professionally, ugh.

I came across yet another idea for your retaing wall. I found a CL. Listing for Pileings.
A local company is rebuilding some covered boat sheds and sold me some of the old pileings. They are 20' long and in pretty good condition for use in building polebarn and supporting the outer side of a carport that I'm planning.

I'm excited about having material that will really resist the bugs in the ground around here. The material treated for marine use is far better treated than what is available at the lumber yard and was a good bargain to boot. Less Than $50 per pole, delivered.

I'm thinking that if you could find some around there, you could cut some short sections to put in the ground then stack some behind them and pin them with rebar or something. Then fill behind them with gravel.

You could look around for a marine salvage co or dock building co. The guy I got mine from has more stashed at his place from other jobs.

Cheers Richard
Old 02-22-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)

Day two of the one day install is now complete heading into day three tomorrow . So after this mornings debacle we recovered and had zero issues with the ditch witch . It cut a perfect trench and we didn't hit anything explosive or worth millions . So the line from the house to the garage is now in the ground in 2 " plastic conduit . It is hooked up on the garage side just needs to be hooked up in the house........... where he purchased the wrong breaker

So he called around and found someone that has the right breaker so he's picking it up tomorrow morning . Just need two wires hooked up , pop in the breaker and some wire cleanup in the basement and we're done ! Tevake thanks for the tip I will keep that in mind . To be honest I was looking at telephone poles for sale on CL but I have no way to handle the damn things !

I'm REALLY hoping this electrical install is behind me by tomorrow around noon because I was planning on picking up the insulation tomorrow . So I'm going to be installing the aluminum trim tomorrow morning ( it arrived today ) , pay the electrician and hopefully make it to pick up the insulation which is 1.5 hours away . Siding guys still planning on showing up Saturday so balls to the wall !
Old 02-22-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)

Touch down !!! We have power . Yep the job is done and I am a happy camper . Actually paid him a little extra to troubleshoot some inoperable floodlights . So now that is checked off the list and paid for . I installed the aluminum trim around the garage doors so that's done . Got a call from the siding guy he may not start until Monday . So overall not a bad day .

Unfortunately was not able to pick up the insulation today so that bites , may have to bite the bullet and buy one roll from box store so I can enclose the front . That way I can let the garage door guy know he's up Also want to frame up the floor for the compressor room and get that filled in with dirt/gravel and ready to hand pour . I'm sure the weekend will go by quick . Will post pics when something worth showing happens
Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

Today I decided to go caulk crazy Caulked the bottom plates to the concrete , bottom plates to PVC trim board , backside of Z flashing and EVERY horizontal seam of the plywood . Even though I have house wrap I decided while it's open and accessible why not . Went through 11 tubes of caulk . Tomorrow it's time for the Great Stuff foam treatment I have a few areas that are too small for conventional insulation . Hopefully Monday will still be a go for the siding guys so we can get this building even more weather tight .
Old 02-24-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)

Garage
Dude,

You are producing an incredible amount of work, great job, it will be done in no time.

Rutager

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-24-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)

Woke up this morning to the sound of pouring rain I gotta be honest I am really sick of all this fu$#%ing rain !!!! It has stopped and is now just sprinkling on and off when it wants to . After it stopped pouring I went out and shot up two cans of Great Stuff foam in various cracks/voids . I sent a text to the siding guy letting him know to bring waders tomorrow . Not sure they will be able to work in the slop and it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow.......... depressing . But we'll take it a day at a time and keep knocking down the list of items to complete .
Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)

So woke up this morning and it's raining So I decided to run to the local feed store and picked up 3 bales of hay . On the drive back it stopped raining . I waded through the mud and put down 2 bales . That stuff really worked quite well to make the perimeter easy to walk on . Siding guys showed up late they had to swing by the factory to pick all the material up . Fortunately no rain during the day

They are about 90 % done they will finish tomorrow . They have four more panels to install and then the top trim and outside corners . I think it looks great , very clean nothing fancy. Tomorrow is supposed to be good weather so after they are done I'm going to go pick up the insulation . Have to do it tomorrow because the rest of the week is supposed to.......... wait for it.........wait.........fuc&%$ing RAIN !!! I'll post pics of the siding when it's done . Also got a call today from the garage door guy my doors are now in . I told him I hope to be ready for him next week . Overall another positive made progress day .
Old 02-26-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)

Well we can check off another box the siding is done . Actually I have some tweeks to do but the siding guys are done . I have to finish above the garage doors and the compressor room walls once they are built . And the left side top trim needs some love , when I installed the wall studs I didn't pay close enough attention to the top plate in relationship to the laminated beam . So on the left side I have to " fill in " almost 1.5 " at the base of the trim and then drive in screws . Sounds bad but really no big deal . I really like how it looks . Here are some pics from today .

Old 02-27-2018, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Looks great! I'm surprised the siding guys didn't suggest a fascia board and soffit. It looks like the truss ends are still open in the pics.
Keep up the good work. Building this time of year seems to be a challenge no matter where you're building.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Looks great! I'm surprised the siding guys didn't suggest a fascia board and soffit. It looks like the truss ends are still open in the pics.
Keep up the good work. Building this time of year seems to be a challenge no matter where you're building.
I'm not ready for the fascia boards yet . Because it started life as a pole barn the rafters are spaced about 5 ' apart with the last one about 4 ' . I may be wrong but to me if I take 1 x 6 and screw it to the end of the rafters it will be flimsy with all the open space between rafters . So I plan to install the 1 x 6 and then back it with a 2 x 4 in between each rafter . That will firm up the fascia board and give me something to nail/screw to for the soffits . I am doing this mainly to have a solid surface for the gutters to hang from . And you are right about building this time of year , yesterday it was sunny and in the 60's today it's raining like crazy and 45 out ! Tomorrow supposed to be the same but Fri./Sat./Sunday supposed to be beautiful . I will be working like a dog those three days
Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)

Beautiful day today so I decided to do the road trip to purchase the insulation . Round trip was 159 miles but my diesel pickup ( kong the 4x4 dually ) needed a long trip anyway as it has set a bit . Anyway purchased enough R19 Kraft faced to do all the walls , the compressor room and the ceiling for $550.00 not bad . I only burned 1/4 tank of diesel .

So tomorrow I attack the inside of the front wall , will terminate/install the one exterior outlet and the double floodlight . Run all the sensor wires for the garage door openers , install the insulation and start cutting/installing the interior plywood . My goal is to have the first coat of paint on the front wall by Monday . A 2nd coat on Tuesday and it's ready for the garage doors . Everyone that has seen the garage so far including the mailman today say's they like it so that makes me feel good . It will be nice to start posting interior pics
Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)

When doing the insulation, wear some latex gloves and one of those disposable, full body suits, otherwise you're gonna be scratching for a year.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I'm not ready for the fascia boards yet . Because it started life as a pole barn the rafters are spaced about 5 ' apart with the last one about 4 ' . I may be wrong but to me if I take 1 x 6 and screw it to the end of the rafters it will be flimsy with all the open space between rafters . So I plan to install the 1 x 6 and then back it with a 2 x 4 in between each rafter . That will firm up the fascia board and give me something to nail/screw to for the soffits . I am doing this mainly to have a solid surface for the gutters to hang from . And you are right about building this time of year , yesterday it was sunny and in the 60's today it's raining like crazy and 45 out ! Tomorrow supposed to be the same but Fri./Sat./Sunday supposed to be beautiful . I will be working like a dog those three days
Yeah, just span the trusses with a 2x4 and you should be fine. I normally use 2x6 for Fascia and skip the supports.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Yeah, just span the trusses with a 2x4 and you should be fine. I normally use 2x6 for Fascia and skip the supports.
2x6 or even 2x10 for the fasçia!, save time and it will look better/last longer.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)

The overhang of the roofing metal will work better with 1x vs. 2x at least that is what the pole barn installers stated . But I will hold up a piece of 2x and see for myself . How much overhang of the roof metal is needed to flow well into the gutters ? I know the gutters are basically flat on the back side and install pretty much flush with the fascia . Unfortunately I have already purchased all the fascia metal with the 3/4 " backset/bottom lip so using 2x might look a little funky .
Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)

Today I started the day with terminating and installing the outside duplex outlet and dual flood light holder . Then moved to the AC/heat disconnect box . Got all that done with no electro shock therapy so then moved to the garage door sensors . I cut pieces of plywood maybe 2 ' tall for each end wall and the center wall for the front . Drilled a hole in each and ran the sensor wires . Tomorrow I will cut and install the R19 insulation and start enclosing the front . Weather was great high 50's and sunny tomorrow to be more of the same . That's it for now .
Old 03-03-2018, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)

Today was another nice day so I started with insulating the front wall . I quickly remembered what a pain in the a$$ cutting fiberglass insulation was . But got it done but then realized I needed to " box in " the center section above the garage doors so it would be strong enough for the garage door spring mounts . So that took me off course a little but got that done also . I now have plywood installed on all three front walls up to the horizontal portion above the garage doors . Tomorrow I'll cut three pieces of plywood and it will be done . I think I can get one coat of primer on tomorrow and maybe one coat of paint . If not it will spill over into Tuesday . I'm liking this retirement gig
Old 03-04-2018, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #300 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: