Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

Cold? In Georgia?

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
the post are embedded?

so no mud sill?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Cold? In Georgia?
Haha I knew someone would comment Hey I was born and raised in Upstate N.Y. so I know REAL cold . But I have spent the last 25 + years in FL. + GA. so I am now a cold wimp Anytime it gets to around 30 my desire to be outside is depleted .
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Hey guys I made some good progress yesterday as I got one 28 ' wall section almost completely studded up . This morning I have to finish the framing for a 3 ' entry door and that one side will be complete . It was dark when I finished so I'll take a few pics today .

I will start on the 2nd 28 ' wall today and with a little luck might get that done today also . The 24 ' back wall will be next and I'll finish with the front . That will be the most challenging for me as I have never framed up for garage doors and/or built laminated header beams . I have been reading online how to make them so I think I get it . It's nice to be able to learn something new .

I will say lifting/setting wall sections 8 - 10 ' wide by almost 12 ' tall made of 2x6's is a challenge by myself but so far have been able to do it with no self inflicted injuries That and getting the bolt holes to line up on the bottom plate . I'm glad I'm only doing this once . And my cheap Harbor Freight air framing nailer is working like a champ I only had one jamb all of yesterday . I start the day adding some oil in the nailer and she's been purring right along , well worth the money . I will post pics later .
Old 12-07-2017, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Something that I did in my garage expansion that I’m really happy with, I used 3/8 thickness pegboard for the lower walls. 4x8 sheets vertical so I have essentially a full 8’ worth of space for hanging just about anything. The pegboard came pre-finished in white with an easy to scrub glossy finish. The upper section is painted OSB. The final product looks quite good and best of all, I didn’t have to mud and tape my walls!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Hey whipped in my last garage I had pegboard the full length of my workbench and I will probably do that again with this garage . Not going to do the side walls as I have wall cabinets that will be installed . Yes I used the pre-painted white pegboard also . Back in the late 70's I purchased for almost nothing 1/4 " peg hooks that are about a foot long . I have carted them from N.Y. to FL. and now to GA. but they are very $$$ now so glad I had the vision back then . I cut them to the desired length , bend the end a little and hit it with a file to knock down the sharp edge works great .

I am also using OSB for the interior wall sheathing vs. sheetrock , I like the ability to hang anything anywhere I want ( pictures/posters/light stuff ) and not have to search for a stud . Plus the added rigidity to the building and maybe a hint of insulation value . Downside is it burns vs. sheetrock . I also like the way it looks once painted .
Old 12-07-2017, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

A couple pics for your viewing pleasure I will finish this wall this morning have to frame up for the entry door . I know it doesn't look like much but that was hard work to do by myself . But getting this far in one day is good motivation so I will get back out there right after sending these pics . Weather here is supposed to get ugly tonight with possibility of sleet and flurries so not sure how tomorrow will go .

Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great. Working by yourself is so slow. I'm building a pretty complicated deck myself right now and it is a chore.

What are you using to tie the bottom plate to the slab?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

As others mentioned, tossing on some 2x4 to cross-brace will keep that beauty nice and square while you are working on it.
Wood sheeting (not particle board) will probably do it from there.

You could later even router-out channels to embed flush 1x6 or something like that.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
Looks great. Working by yourself is so slow. I'm building a pretty complicated deck myself right now and it is a chore.

What are you using to tie the bottom plate to the slab?
Paul when the concrete was poured we installed 1/2 " galvanized L bolts about every 3 ' . Today was a slow day I putzed around on the one window header and the entry door header . But the one wall is now 100 % done . I did get one 8 ' wall section up on the other side and started the next one but I ran out of steam Right now I'm beat but will recover and keep on truckin . Weather not looking good for the next few days may have to switch over to completing my John Deere garden tractor hydraulic update . Will keep you guys posted .
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Not going to get much done today , temps dropped and currently it's snowing large flakes . Could get up to 3 " today which is a lot for here . So I'm cruising CL and found someone selling 19/32 BC sanded plywood for 17.00 per sheet if purchased in a bundle of 29 sheets . Compared to box stores at 29.97 a sheet seems like a good deal . Any reason not to use this for exterior sheathing ? I can save 5.00 a sheet going with 7/16 OSB but I'm sure the plywood is stronger . Not sure what my final exterior finish will be but probably will either be vinyl siding or cement siding .

I'm figuring I'll need about 34 - 35 sheets to completely cover the exterior . Go with the plywood ? I will be finishing the interior with OSB .
Old 12-08-2017, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Forgot to mention my walls are 2x6 spaced at 24 " on center .
Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Plywood is a better choice than OSB for exterior sheathing. Personally, I don't use OSB for any application, but that's your choice.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Yeah I figured plywood is the better way to go . Found another guy on CL selling 1/2 " CDX that was removed from somewhere . He has LOTS of it and more coming in ( that's what the ad states ) . Most is painted white on one side and it's 10.00 a sheet . He states it's in good shape just has screw holes . I like the idea of saving some coin and being painted I can place the painted side out which will give me some weather protection to the wood until I can get siding installed .

I might just go ahead and buy 70 sheets and use on the interior also , being painted already saves me from priming at the very least .
Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Plywood is a better choice than OSB for exterior sheathing. Personally, I don't use OSB for any application, but that's your choice.
I would agree. No one wants to use OSB on their own projects. They only use it on someone else's projects.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

I won't use it on anything.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

"they" always say" it's just as good as plywood"....BS
Old 12-08-2017, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

OK OK plywood it is Didn't do anything on the building today , it's been in the low 30's all day and snowing I'm not motivated to go out in that crap ! Looks like the W/E will be the same so maybe get back on it on Monday .
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

I bet your houses don't have plywood sheathing! The walls aren't going to cave in or collapse if you use OSB.

'06 911 S Aerokit - since 5/2/2016
'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
Old 12-08-2017, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

I have remodeled a fair amount of my house, and added onto it. Everything I've touched has plywood for exterior sheathing. The entire roof is sheathed with plywood, as well. From what I can tell, there's not a single sheet of OSB on it anywhere. It was originally built before people were using that crap.

Last edited by javadog; 12-08-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: