Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Picklex Users- Is this normal?

Just finished, I think, patching, welding, grinding, re-welding, etc the front valence and gave it a spray and brush on of Picklex to try to protect it until I get around to putting primer on. Now it's got the orange haze that looks all the world like surface rust. I even ran the scrubby over it an re-applied the Picklex, but got a similiar result. Is this normal?

There really wasn't any rust on this part to start with or following the repairs, it's mostly new metal especially in the shot of the corner from inside the trunk. Just looking for other opinions before I go further.
Tim

'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
hemeoncdoc

Garage
I have the same problem. I believe it is rust. Not sure if Picklex 20 went bad or what. I have not yet contactebdthe company but intend to.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
You may find it's actually zinc phosphate reacting to moisture - not actually rust. Just scuff it all down with a red scuff pad and epoxy or etch prime when ready.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I did give it another light squirt with the spray bottle and brushed it on again and it didn't seem to come back orange. Maybe I just didn't get enough on to start with.
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have never used picklex. I think John is correct. I have used Eastwood Metal Etch and POR15 Medal Ready which are similar products and they did the same thing.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Here's a shot from my car a day after application whilst I was working my way to clean metal. I scuffed it all up prior to epoxy...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

300hp 1800lbs is the goal

Garage
If I recall correctly, you are supposed to dry the surface after applying picklex..... spray it on, scrub it, let it sit a few minutes, and wipe it dry.

The carrier for the phosphoric acid is water I believe, so it probably is a light surface rust...

The science was settled: Earth was flat.
Galileo : Flat Earth denier.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Looks like you let it dry on the surface, hence the light coating reacting with the atmosphere.

I tend to only do a small area at a time, and wipe down with a clean rag, and get a grey look to the panel, and I've had some panels sitting for over a year.

As John said just give it a scuff down before paint and you're good to go.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
On Picklex20 website they said this is OK Picklex20 Manufacturer Home Page Metal surface preparation, steel pre-treatment.

My 2 c.
-Y.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Brownish color for Picklex 20

Sometimes a brownish color is noticed after drying of Picklex 20 coating. It is a part of the coating and not rust. The rust color is orange. Also, any whitish powdery residue on the surface happens when the excess Picklex 20 is not wiped off completely from the metal surface. There is no zinc phosphate in Picklex 20. Picklex 20 is a water based product.

Any question, call International Chemical products, Inc. (manufacturer of Picklex 20) at 256-650-0088. Web site: www.picklex20.com

Last edited by saswata; 03-02-2012 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: To put the web site address
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
Also DO NOT SCRUB after Piclex appled
Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
hemeoncdoc

Garage
I have had the same thing with Picklex. Definitely not rust! Areas that turned that color remaining stablem without developing rust. I had an area unprotected with Picklex, that area did rust but a darker red-brown typical rust color. The Pickles areas turn more of an orange color. Not sure about the chemistry there...
Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: