Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
This is how I do it - works well for me... and cinder blocks are cheap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxAcLwzAJ3w
Old 01-09-2019, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

911T70, That was a very impressive film! Worth several thousand words! Thanks so much.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
When I was getting ready to rebuild my engine, I kept on checking the classifieds for Porsche tools. Eventually, I found an ad where an engine had been rebuilt and the builder was getting rid of all the Porsche specific engine tools including the 5 leg yoke, cam tools, etc. I was able to buy the whole set for the price of the yoke! It never hurts to keep your eyes open for deals!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Keep in mind the harbour freight cherry picker(hoist) has legs that are not wide enough to straddle the 911 motor. I cut mine up and built a rotisserie, found a $99 coupon and bought another for the front.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
yes 911T70! very great and informative video on UTUBE, maybe I will drop my engine some day!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
911T70, That was a very impressive film! Worth several thousand words! Thanks so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sampsel View Post
yes 911T70! very great and informative video on UTUBE, maybe I will drop my engine some day!
Glad you enjoyed it! I made it to document the procedure because I had to re-figure out the steps every winter - added the music for fun.

Drop your engine if you get the opportunity. It's intimidating at first but not that hard. I'm very happy I learned to drop mine - my car wouldn't be running as well as it is if I hadn't; makes routine maintenance/repair so much easier and it's a bonding experience with these amazing machines!

Here it is going back in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZm6SyTS1U

Last edited by 911T70; 01-11-2019 at 09:57 AM..
Old 01-11-2019, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I am my 911's PO

Garage
transferring engine to stand

Like many of you, I work solo and need a safe, dependable way to transfer the motor to/from the engine stand. After I figured out that supporting the motor with stacks of scrap lumber did not fit those criteria, I started using a chain hoist. Initially I hung it from the ceiling joists, but needed a way to move the engine to the shop side of the garage (there's a step between shop and parking areas) so I made this trolley:

The trolley (part that rolls) and supports are from McMaster. The Unistrut is from the local home improvement store. Trolley is rated for 600 lbs.

Here's transferring between the engine stand and hydraulic lift table. Note the step: the trolley lets me move the engine past the step and put the engine stand on the upper level:

DECEASED 2015 Cayenne Diesel - tow vehicle and daily drive
2017 Macan (happy wife...)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

DPMulvan,

You raise a good point concerning the width of the cherry-picker legs! I'm thinking that the legs would need to be wide enough to slip around the ATV lift I'm using to drop the engine. The engine is wider than the lift, but I'll have to do some measuring.

On the other hand, if you can secure the cherry-picker from sliding, wouldn't the engine just swing into place as it's lifted? Or slide into place using some plywood over the cherry-pickers legs?

Just pondering...

Thanks again!

Robert
Old 01-11-2019, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I used my welding table on wheels to support the engine as I undid all the connections and lifted the car up using a four post lift. Exhaust removed.

Completely disassembled the engine, then decided I liked working at the higher height of the table instead of the height of my engine stand, so I made a couple of wood stands in the shape of the crankcase in the upright position and 90 degrees rotated. Did all the work assembling on the two wood stands on the table. It was really handy to have a flat surface all around the engine. There was plenty of room to work, and very sturdy. If I did it again, I might make some slick aluminum stands to replace my wood ones, but I would still do it on the table.

The only reason I could see to have the engine upside down is for the exhaust, and I did that in the car.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
I posted in an engine removal thread a few years ago where i lifted the rear of the car with an engine hoist using the engine support bolts and a home made sling with chains ... made a wooden dolly to drop the engine on and rolled it out from under the car.

While searching i saw some pretty scary set ups whereas some really intrepid mechanics had their car jacked up on a pile of wooden blocks.
There are many engine removal threads on the forum , you just need to find the right one !

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Piscator (is that fisherman as I recall all that wasted time learning Latin);

The problem is that you have to stretch a cable from the cherry picker to the engine be case the legs won't fit under the engine. When you start jacking it just pulls the stands rear legs up.

I am pondering a solution to this as I contemplate how to get my engine onto my new engine test stand!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Strygaldwir,

Piscator is the name of Sir Isaac Walton's sidekick in "The Complete Angler," but yes, also "fisherman" in Latin. I'm more familiar with the former than the latter! ;-)

I see what you're saying about the cherry-picker's rear legs. I think my best bet is to hoist it on the laminated beam in my shop, it's plenty strong.

When I went to Harbor Freight today, I could see the cherry-picker wasn't going to work. BTW: HB's having a three day sale. I got a $30 discount on the 1ton engine stand and 6ton jackstands for $37 ($7 off).!!

Thanks for your post!

Robert
aka: piscator

Last edited by piscator; 01-11-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I used a come-along the first time to get my engine onto my HF engine stand... I realized when I was done that a come-along works great going up (tightening), but not down, so I bought a chain hoist from HF. It's much more robust and less risky.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

911T70,

I'm copying your skid design for my engine drop; which is going to happen in about 15 minutes, as soon as I finish my pizza lunch! Everything is disconnected and all I have to do is 'lower away!' Your removal film has been a big help!

Robert
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
911T70,

I'm copying your skid design for my engine drop; which is going to happen in about 15 minutes, as soon as I finish my pizza lunch! Everything is disconnected and all I have to do is 'lower away!' Your removal film has been a big help!

Robert
Good luck - let us know how it went!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
HF engine hoist.........

Quote:
DPMulvan,

You raise a good point concerning the width of the cherry-picker legs! I'm thinking that the legs would need to be wide enough to slip around the ATV lift I'm using to drop the engine. The engine is wider than the lift, but I'll have to do some measuring.

On the other hand, if you can secure the cherry-picker from sliding, wouldn't the engine just swing into place as it's lifted? Or slide into place using some plywood over the cherry-pickers legs?

Just pondering...

Thanks again!

Robert

Robert,

The HF engine hoist legs opening could be overcome by a simple contraption. I have used this hoist for many years moving engines from engine stand to engine test stand much wider than the engine width. Like someone mentioned earlier, there are many ways to skin a cat. Or think outside the box.

An ATV or hydraulic table is nice to have for your engine drop and could get away without an engine hoist. But having an engine hoist is an advantage and more efficient. What ever you decide to do, stay safe.

Tony
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Tony,

What box????? There's a box?? :-)

"Like someone mentioned earlier, there are many ways to skin a cat. Or think outside the box.

Thanks Michel!

Robert
Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Engine's out! Thanks to everyone for the help and support!!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Engine's out! Thanks to everyone for the help and support!!
Congratulations! A great feeling of accomplishment, isn't it!?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Nice!
It gets a lot easier each time you do it.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 01-16-2019, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: