Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Drop/Stand Question

I'm about to do my first engine drop and unclear on what I need for a stand.

I'm planning to buy the (five arm) engine stand yoke but do I need the engine stand base? Or do the commonly found rolling engine stands already have a place to "plug in" the shaft of the yoke?

Alternately, I have a heavy workbench that I could mount the engine stand base to. Doesn't seem as convenient as the rolling stand. Thoughts?

I'd appreciate any recommendations on yoke/stand setups.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 01-07-2019, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
the hard part is getting it from the dolly up to the stand.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
The common rolling engine stands will fit the 5 arm yoke. Because of the wide weight distribution of a flat six, I think the two leg engine stands are more stable. I ordered mine from Costco. Nice stand and can be broken down and stored fairly easily. There is a bench mount for the yoke. Obviously your bench has to withstand 400lbs or more.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Juanbenae, thanks, I bought an ATV jack to lower the engine; not sure if it will be high enough to get the engine onto a stand. I have a chain fall and a strong beam in the garage, as well.

75 911s, Thanks, that's what I needn't to know. My bench is substantial, but I'd prefer using a stand. I've had good luck with Sears, but never shopped at COSTCO,

Robert
Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Harbour freight stand works fine, make sure you get the heavier one for motor, or buy one off craigslist.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Things you need........

You will need the rolling base, the 5 arm yoke and having a hydraulic engine hoist will make things a lot easier! In the long run, you will find lots of uses for the hoist!

I use a Sears ATV jack with a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood to go under the engine for lowering and lifting. Works great and is much more steady than a floor jack. You will find that having a floor jack will be helpful when reinstalling the engine to help get the right angle on the engine/transaxle unit.

Also, when removing or installing an engine, I raise the car up just enough to get underneath to loosen or remove everything. Then, once the engine is on the ATV jack, I I raise the car enough to roll the engine out and then lower the car back down to a more solid level (safety first!). Going back in is just the reverse, raise car up high, roll under the engine/tranny, lower the car to a safe working height and then install the engine. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Ask you local PCA folks. For sure someone will lend you the proper stand. Getting the engine onto the stand will require some strong backs or a comealong to the beam you mentioned.

Have fun!

Chris
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

+ 1 on the Harbor Freight stand. Inexpensive and worked very well for me. You can rotate the engine for access to all sorts of things and it is very stable. It also breaks down nicely when you are done with this project.
Where are you? Perhaps you could borrow one from one of us and save the expense of buying a tool that you will likely only use once or twice.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 01-08-2019, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Hi

Garage
I used a chain hoist to raise the engine from the AV jack to the engine stand.
I also added 4x6 board to cross over 5 of the garage joists to even out the weight of the engine.

Quote by Charles Freeborn, Pelican.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thank-you gentlemen! My project is underway!

DP and Mike: I think you mean the Harbor Freight stand like the one in the photo below? I may be able to borrow one, but theyíre not tremendously expensive. I think the five arm yoke is expensive, for what it is. Havenít seen one for less than $300.

CM, Iím not a PCA member but I have a friend who is. The backís not as strong as it used to be. Thatís why I own a Ďcome-along! :-)

Fred, Thanks for your excellent advice on raising and lowering. I will follow it! I think it was one of your prior posts that encouraged me to get the Sears ATV stand. It seems to be good quality. Iíve been well served by Searís Craftsman products. I wonder if they have a good engine stand.

I also appreciate your recommendation on an engine hoist. I think you mean something like the picture below, yes? I take it the ATV jack doesnít work for getting the engine onto the stand? Do you think the hoist is easier than using my come-along attached to a strong beam?

At my old shop, I had an industrial engine hoist that we used for a lot of things. Somehow it rolled away, all on itís own! Funny how that can happen.

Robert

Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

TargaMe, thanks! I have a heavy laminated beam in my shop that's supported by steel posts. It's pretty strong!

Robert
Old 01-08-2019, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Nice to have the right tools and equipment.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
Thank-you gentlemen! My project is underway!

DP and Mike: I think you mean the Harbor Freight stand like the one in the photo below? I may be able to borrow one, but they’re not tremendously expensive. I think the five arm yoke is expensive, for what it is. Haven’t seen one for less than $300.

CM, I’m not a PCA member but I have a friend who is. The back’s not as strong as it used to be. That’s why I own a ‘come-along! :-)

Fred, Thanks for your excellent advice on raising and lowering. I will follow it! I think it was one of your prior posts that encouraged me to get the Sears ATV stand. It seems to be good quality. I’ve been well served by Sear’s Craftsman products. I wonder if they have a good engine stand.

I also appreciate your recommendation on an engine hoist. I think you mean something like the picture below, yes? I take it the ATV jack doesn’t work for getting the engine onto the stand? Do you think the hoist is easier than using my come-along attached to a strong beam?

At my old shop, I had an industrial engine hoist that we used for a lot of things. Somehow it rolled away, all on it’s own! Funny how that can happen.

Robert

Robert,

Invest on these necessary tools and equipment for your engine rebuild. If you own these equipment, you have the pleasure and luxury of doing the project at your own pace. Specially if you are doing an engine rebuild for the first time.

The HF engine stand is sufficient to handle a 911. Get the engine stand similar to the one you posted with an open access to the bottom front. I have 3 HF and 1 Manley engine stands and 4 yokes. The Manley engine stand is remarkable and robust but costs as much as the 3 HF stands combine. A portable engine hoist is great to have for moving the 911 engine on or off the engine stand. I also need an engine hoist to install the motor in my engine test stand for the start up.

This is my 25-old and reliable engine test stand made from scrap metals including a traffic sign post as the main frame.

This is when you need a portable engine hoist to get the assembled motor in an engine test stand for the start up. The Manley engine stand was eventually used but the HF engine stand was fine for this application.

Last edited by boyt911sc; 01-08-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Be aware that the Porsche yoke is slightly larger in diameter than some "American" engine mounts. I've seen more than one stand that did not take it, it was maybe 1mm too big in diameter. Some time with a drill and grinding disk will fix that, but it's worth doing some careful measurements first. I have a Powerbuilt 647514 which does work fine.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Mike, Duly noted. Thanks very much!

Boyt, Great advice and wonderful pictures! I’ll make sure to get the wheeled stand that’s open in the front. An engine hoist shouldn’t set me back too much.

Is the aftermarket 5 arm yoke o.k.? Or do I need to spring for OEM?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Where are the best pick points on the engine when hoisting/inserting into the stand?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have used both a engine cherry picker, and a 4 post lift to hoist the 911 engine and yoke on to the stand. The places to attach the chain are, 1) around the mounted yoke, and 2) one of the mounting bolts on the engine carrier. Use some towels where the chain rubs on anything you don't want damage.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Don't use a come along to lift your engine. Use a block and tackle.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 01-08-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Don't use a come along to lift your engine. Use a block and tackle.
One ton manual chain hoist at the freight is $60.

With open rafters, it's a good choice.

Span several rafters with a fatty as noted. A 4x4 would work as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
I'm about to do my first engine drop and unclear on what I need for a stand.

I'm planning to buy the (five arm) engine stand yoke but do I need the engine stand base? Or do the commonly found rolling engine stands already have a place to "plug in" the shaft of the yoke?

Alternately, I have a heavy workbench that I could mount the engine stand base to. Doesn't seem as convenient as the rolling stand. Thoughts?

I'd appreciate any recommendations on yoke/stand setups.

Thanks,

Robert
We used the adapter ring (half ring) and HF engine stand - some added pipe, bolts and nuts - worked fine for a 964 disassembly - a lot less expensive than the yoke you are thinking of buying - ring from Pelican "Engine Stand Adapter Ring for Porsche and VW air-cooled engines" - enjoy your project . . .

Regards,

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 01-08-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
With the flywheel off, the adapter ring worked fine for me. I think the ring was under $100 and I found a used engine stand like the HF one pictured for $40 on craigslist
Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: