Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack1 View Post
I would love to have a quite ride. Anything above 70 MPH and the radio is useless. I'm working on it.
Me too! That and hvac....

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-19-2019, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Modern horsepower, brakes, and suspension to all work in unison in the old '78 Targa package.

...it's called a Singer...

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
An early 911 with a big motor and a PDK/launch control would be pretty cool.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
I have spent the last few years moving my ‘84 back to the ‘60s. A/C gone, suspension upgraded, all unnecessary stuff gone, heater backdate w/SSIs. If I wanted all the modern stuff, I would buy a modern car. Adding that crap is like:

Pretty sure there are airbags there too....
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
I have spent the last few years moving my 84 back to the 60s. A/C gone, suspension upgraded, all unnecessary stuff gone, heater backdate w/SSIs. If I wanted all the modern stuff, I would buy a modern car. Adding that crap is like:

Pretty sure there are airbags there too....
To each his own. It is your car, do whatever you want to it.

I live in an area that gets hot and I drive my car to even hotter areas. AC is not just nice, it is a necessity when the heat index is 125.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
I'm right with you on the wiring harness situation. We don't have very good harnesses these days. It's crazy to think that the mopar/hot rod crowd can order a modern complete wiring harness for a pretty affordable price and not have to deal with any nonsense.
Blame Ernst Fuhrmann. For whatever reason he hated the 911, and wanted it killed off and replaced with the 928. He forbade ANY money to be spent on R&D for the 911, and any improvements.

Then the American Peter Schutz was hired as the president and CEO of Porsche. On one of his first meeting with the staff, he drew a new time line for the 911. It went all the way around the room. From 1981 on the 911 evolved slowly until he authorized the 964 major redesign.

Without Peter Schutz, the 911 would have died in the 1980s. Thank you Peter Schutz!!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
A bit more modern electronics. Every time I need to swap out a window switch, I wish there was a multiconnector for the wires. A modern fuse panel would be another nice feature.
You can put in a modern fuse box yourself for less than $100. There are some great kits out there too, for a bit more. I ended up doing this after the 3rd time I got stranded with corroded fuse contacts.

The modern upgrade I'd like on my SC would be back seats that better fit child seats, and shoulder belts in the back. Not what I would have said 5 years ago...
Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
Mine would be "headlights off" when I turn off the ignition.
I did this myself with a little work. But then the dash lights still stayed on and ran down my battery. Now I have one of my wife's hair ties on my keychain, and hook it on the lights switch when I turn them on. Now I can't remove the key without unhooking it from the lights switch and remembering to turn it off.

Last edited by OsoMoore; 06-20-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
I'm right with you on the wiring harness situation. We don't have very good harnesses these days. It's crazy to think that the mopar/hot rod crowd can order a modern complete wiring harness for a pretty affordable price and not have to deal with any nonsense.
Agree 100%. A friend of mine restores English cars and can get brand new complete plug and play wiring harnesses for MGs and Minis for under $300. The same for a Porsche would be several thousands of dollars, custom made, with a lead time. It's pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Blame Ernst Fuhrmann. For whatever reason he hated the 911, and wanted it killed off and replaced with the 928. He forbade ANY money to be spent on R&D for the 911, and any improvements.

Then the American Peter Schutz was hired as the president and CEO of Porsche. On one of his first meeting with the staff, he drew a new time line for the 911. It went all the way around the room. From 1981 on the 911 evolved slowly until he authorized the 964 major redesign.

Without Peter Schutz, the 911 would have died in the 1980s. Thank you Peter Schutz!!
Not sure I'm buying that, that sounds like the speach from his daughter selling books on how great her dad was and American rah rah rah propaganda. . With all due respect thats not how it went down.

the 911 was never supposed to exist beyond 1977 with the 928 and other water cooled cars taking over in 1978. This was 3 years before Schultz was at the helm of the company.
A small development budget was given to the 911 engineering dept to rectify some of the issues seen with the disastrous ( even then ) 911s. to bridge to the 92X series.
So they went about fixing the case, improving the cooling , converting to electronic ignition, added the WUR to the engine. Updated the styling and ultimately produced one of the most bulletproof cars ever designed by Porsche up to that point. It proved immensely popular and set the future for the 911.
Although Schultz could have killed off the 911 at any time once he got to power, he can hardly be credited with " saving " it.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
I have spent the last few years moving my ‘84 back to the ‘60s. A/C gone, suspension upgraded, all unnecessary stuff gone, heater backdate w/SSIs. If I wanted all the modern stuff, I would buy a modern car.....
If you don't have caveman carbs on there, then yer just posin' 60s, bub!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
If you don't have caveman carbs on there, then yer just posin' 60s, bub!
Says, the guy who specializes in blowing hot air.....
I wanted all the best of the 60s, not the worst....
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 06-20-2019 at 09:25 AM..
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Says, the guy who specializes in blowing hot air.....
I wanted all the best of the 60s, not the worst....
A real, no frills vintage car enthusiast, that celebrates swamp-ass motoring, should enjoy the tinkering and tuning of carbs and embrace the glory of hard cold starts, horrendous fuel mileage, ridiculously rich mid-range AFRs, and the ever present, strong aroma of fuel!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
Not sure I'm buying that, that sounds like the speach from his daughter selling books on how great her dad was and American rah rah rah propaganda. . With all due respect thats not how it went down.

the 911 was never supposed to exist beyond 1977 with the 928 and other water cooled cars taking over in 1978. This was 3 years before Schultz was at the helm of the company.
A small development budget was given to the 911 engineering dept to rectify some of the issues seen with the disastrous ( even then ) 911s. to bridge to the 92X series.
So they went about fixing the case, improving the cooling , converting to electronic ignition, added the WUR to the engine. Updated the styling and ultimately produced one of the most bulletproof cars ever designed by Porsche up to that point. It proved immensely popular and set the future for the 911.
Although Schultz could have killed off the 911 at any time once he got to power, he can hardly be credited with " saving " it.
Back when he was still the big boss, he attended our War Bonnet Tech session in Oklahoma City and he was the keynote speaker one evening. I personally heard him tell the story.

We used to get fantastic factory support. They gave us one of the connecting rods from the race car that won Le Mans to give away as a door prize.

I sat an slammed beers in the hotel bar with Hans Mezger the man that designed the flat 6 Porsche engine. I learned to never try to keep up with a German drinking beer. He looked fine and I could hardly walk.

The factory shipped up an entire F1 Tag Turbo engine, but they wanted it back. I have parts of the rear suspension of the 993 in my garage now, a complete hub and a engine cross member.

So I was there, and heard it myself from the big man.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
A real, no frills vintage car enthusiast, that celebrates swamp-ass motoring, should enjoy the tinkering and tuning of carbs and embrace the glory of hard cold starts, horrendous fuel mileage, ridiculously rich mid-range AFRs, and the ever present, strong aroma of fuel!
Been down the road of too far. I built my 1974 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser into the thing I wanted. Swapped a Toyota 3B diesel in, decided it was painfully slow, grafted a Toyota Supra turbo onto the mess, pushing 20psi of boost at 2500 RPM, the trans was swapped out for a 5 speed and installed the parking brake on the transfer so I could install discs all around, then I decided that it needed power steering for the crawling/climbing. I then decided that the 33x 12 BFGs needed to share the work, so I installed front and rear Detroit Lockers. Then I decided that I needed more articulation, custom springs. Add custom home built front and rear bumpers, PTO winch. Now it will spin all 4 tires on granite, and is so softly sprung it’s a nightmare on the street, but it will go up stuff that you don’t want to go down. Too much isn’t enough, just enough for the mission is the new motto.
If you want to waste some time, here’s the FJ40 Mutation:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj-to-bj-mutation.162440/#post-2278739
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 06-20-2019 at 06:31 PM..
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Mine would be a dynamic exhaust mode so I could hear... anything really... while highway cruising and then listen to sweet dual exhaust music while thrashing the twisties.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

The 7 speed manual from a new Carrera would be sweet..
Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Good AC!!!! I've thrown everything I can to upgrade my '88's AC and it's STILL anemic. Clearly I've done something wrong since Ronnie and Glen (and many others) have similar setups and their AC freezes their A$$ off.
Other than that not a whole lot I'd change...in reading many of these posts I think a 996 or newer 911 might solve some problems. The friends I've had who moved on to "newer" 911s (water cooled) have been very happy with them. Except in the case when the IMS grenaded...LOL, but even that is an easy fix now thanks to Jake Raby.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 06-21-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88911coupe View Post
Good AC!!!! I've thrown everything I can to upgrade my '88's AC and it's STILL anemic. Clearly I've done something wrong since Ronnie and Glen (and many others) have similar setups and their AC freezes their A$$ off.
Other than that not a whole lot I'd change...in reading many of these posts I think a 996 or newer 911 might solve some problems. The friends I've had who moved on to "newer" 911s (water cooled) have been very happy with them. Except in the case when the IMS grenaded...LOL, but even that is an easy fix now thanks to Jake Raby.
What upgrades have you done?

I have basically all the bells and whistles from Griffiths for my model. 4 condensers, all new hoses, his upgraded evaporator, bigger fan mother for more air, and the variable speed fan switch. The same OEM Nippindenso compressor, and since my car is a n 85 with tiny dash vents, I have his vents on the knee board and the center vent. I get air temps in the 38 to 40 degree range at max blow with the thermometer on one of the side vents when driving in 90 and 100 degree heat.

Call Charlie, tell him what you have, and he can design the system to fit your needs. It is not an inexpensive fix, but I did my system 11 years ago. It is just simply the best upgrade I have done to the 911. I can drive on HOT days and be totally comfortable. And my wife will ride with me happily in the summer.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

^ What Glen said. If you want what any of us would consider "modern A/C," get the full Griffiths kit.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: