Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
- A faster gearbox, like one form a honda.
Yup, that would complete the circle of sweetness which is the 911 drivetrain.

Clunk, clunk, no, sorry, that's unacceptable.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

I wish they came with coilover front struts instead of torsion bar suspension and power steering.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Rennch on YouTube

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
I was looking at wiring harnesses yesterday. You can buy generic ones from painless wiring, or I was thinking about potentially using one from a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia, which you can buy brand new for about 300 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rennch Youtube Channel: http://rennch.com/Youtube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_rennch_/
Old 08-05-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

I looked into aftermarket wiring harnesses for a while too. I installed a Painless kit in an American hot rod several years ago and it turned out okay. Ron Francis, Rebel Wire, etc all make VW kits. I was leaning towards a VW bus kit for the added wiring length. You will have to research all of the switches and whatnot, or use universal switches.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

There is a forum member that makes harnesses.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
There is a forum member that makes harnesses.
Yes there are a couple of sources of new Porsche harnesses, but they are custom made with a big price to match. Other classic car marques have complete reproduction harnesses you can purchase for under $500.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

True. Most everything for our cars is going to be more expensive. Sure it would be nice to have a place like OPG, but we don’t have the numbers to support that.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Garage
Our host offers two alternatives for a modern fuse panel

CDD Autogear manufactures ReFuze ATO fuse panels to retrofit all 356, 912 and 911 Porsches up to and including 1989
Old 08-05-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88911coupe View Post
Ronnie is right, I have a new compressor, new evaporator from Rennaire, 100% new hoses and fittings, new/additional condenser with powerful fan. original condensers flushed with appropriate cleaner. Have vucuumed down and recharged several times, including taking it to a "professional" AC shop to see if I was doing something wrong....still get, at best, 30 degree drop from ambient at the vents. So, if it's 95 I'll see 65 at the vents. As unlikely as it seems I am wondering if there is anything wrong or out of adjustment with the Rennaire evaporator. Yes, reciever drier new every time. Charlie has suggested there is most likely ambient air in the system but I'm not sure how that could be considering how many times it's been evacuated and recharged. I'm pretty much given up and just drive the GLC 300 99% of the time. Sorry, did not mean to turn this into an ac thread.
Something is just not right there. 10 years ago I upgraded to the Griffith's system.

I have two condensers I added to the right rear fender, all new hoses, and my original compressor wore out, so it was replaced with the new Nippindenso compressor. The only parts in my system that are OEM, are the front and rear condensers. That brings my condenser count to 4 total, and I have his variable speed fan controller with the LED to indicate if the compressor is running.

I was driving back from Key West Florida, and on the second day driving due west right into the afternoon sun, on a 95 degree very humid day. After 8 hours of driving, in those hot conditions I could see the compressor light cycling on and off as it had reached full cold state. It was blowing air on me so cold I had to divert it to my chest, or away from my face. I was 100% comfortable and I could feel the heat from the sun shining on my chest. The air was uncomfortably cold blown right on my face.

My brother was with me for a week in south Florida in July, and we were 100% comfortable and laughed a lot about our glasses fogging up as soon as we stepped out of the car. I drove just over 4,000 miles in 10 days and the car kept my brother and I 100% cool.

I have done lots of upgrades and projects to my 911, but the AC fix was far and away the best upgrade.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

Garage
after reading through this thread for the first time the duck tape cup holder is what sticks in my mind
Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Garage
I'd say wiring. When restoring a P-car, the wiring is a nightmare. Having a full-car harness solution would be awesome. Currently there are some very good options when it comes to certain harnesses, but not the entire vehicle.

I have the Classic Retrofit fuse panel and can vouch for the quality level. Very nice, and the blade fuses are much better... but not TOO modern
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrj View Post
I wish they came with coilover front struts instead of torsion bar suspension and power steering.
that's 964. easy. buy one. and you have most of em goodies longing for in a G...
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 08-06-2019, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Garage
i guess it all depends a bit on the car you're starting from...

on my 1969T coupé i would have loved:
- more powerrrrr
- rust protection
- EFI

on my 1981 SC targa, i'd go with:
- reliable, modern EFI
- some more sound proofing
- waterproof roof

maybe chuck good A/C in both cars, but not 100% necessary here.

It's a thin line improving these cars before they loose their identity, but you can't argue with good cold starts, good power, good fuel economy, reliability, long-lasting and comfort in these otherwise very special and honestly brilliant cars.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

I totally agree Glen...it's a head scratcher to say the least! Griff's pretty sure it's moisture in the system and what he says makes total sense. I decided to take it to a reputable independent AC shop here in town to have them vacuum it down and recharge just to eliminate ME and any mistakes I may have been missing. SAME EXACT RESULTS.
I’m thinking of trying the nitrogen trick but not sure how complicated that is.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten

Last edited by 88911coupe; 08-11-2019 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: