Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
MBruns for President

Garage
Jared, I did the following, in order... Cat Bypass, then Dansk sport dual out, then Steve W chip to optimize all. I wanted to keep heat - and use something that was easy to change back, if necessary. 5-8 start getting invasive and expensive.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with you Jeremy, Same order I did mine and noticed an improvement with each modification. If you do the exhaust first, Steve will sell you a chip optimized for a free flowing exhaust system, saving you the expense of a new chip after exhaust mods. The SW chip was the best mod overall, IMHO.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 01-21-2004, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

THanks. Prior to this, my first thought had been to chip it, but the thing holding me back (aside from cost) was the prospect of changing it for another when I went further.

who makes a good cat bypass?

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Here are Test pipes:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/dbsql/db.cgi?db=partsearch&mh=20&view_records=yes&uid=default&description=test+pipe

However, you gain little if any (may even lose) power from this modification.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

so the cat bypass only works well in conjunction with a sport muffler?

Old 01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
JG,

This is debatable. Going with a premuffler seems to be the ticket. But again the gains are relatively minimal. I chose to stay with my Cat. Besides I wont have to swap out for inspection.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

ok, I'm showing my cards of ignorance here, but could someone explain the difference between a cat bypass, a premuffler, and a muffler?

Thanks. Just think -- an investment of a couple of words now will save you countless dumb questions later.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Cat bypass is just a steel tube that replaces the cat converter. A premuffler is what it says, a smaller cylindrical muffler that replaces the cat converter. The muffler is that big banana shaped thing at the back of your car that the cat, bypass tube or premuffler attaches to.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

I understand there to be a performance difference between the euro pre-muffler and a cat bypass. Again, there has been much debate over this issue; here is an example: Pre-muffler vs bypass pipe

As you can see in my first post, I believe the pre-muffler to produce more gains, purely from the information I have gathered from other much more engine savvy individuals than I, here on Pelican.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
The Catalytic Converter goes before the Muffler. It can be replaced with a Cat Bypass (aka; Test Pipe)...it's just a pipe. The Cat can also be replaced by a Pre muffler which is a bit quieter and reportedly affords modest gains. The pre muffler was used on Euro cars in place of a Cat.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Does anyone know how much louder the car would be with a test pipe versus a CAT?
The pre-muffler by it looks, looks likes it tones things down a little.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 01-21-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
What simple performance options are available for the 3.2.

Easy. Get a SC.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Hardly
Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
I went with a Fabspeed pre muffler and I like it a lot. With a pre muffler, you are less likely to get some annoying resonance, and they do give a gain compared to a test pipe for some reason. I also chose a Dansk sport muffler, one in one out, the aluminized version with the 70mm tip. It was much more economical than the full stainless steel version with the same sound and flow chricteristics. I got it from our host at a cost of about $350, though they had to special order it for me.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I appreciate the clarification. I was good on the muffler's location etc. but never understood the difference between the cat bypass and the premuffler, as well as their uses. Much obliged.

Now all I need is some money for this stuff. You know what would be good, is if a chip maker agreed to let you return your old chip as part exchange for a new one as you progressed through the upgrades. That would earn some loyal customers.

Jared

Old 01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Steve W will reprogram your chip for a fee as you do other changes.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Autothority will exchange a chip as well.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
A test pipe will be a little throatier, but not too loud. Lots of Carreras will pass emissions inspection without a cat.

As someone who has certainly been down the slippery slope of 3.2 hp mods, I'd suggest the cheap and easy stuff first. Gut your cat or throw on a test pipe, drill your airbox, maybe chip it and see how it feels. MAF and SSI's are real nice too, but they cost some bucks. Next step after that is bigger cams. I had Webcams 20/21 and they were nice. Then you can always add carbs. There's just about no end to the possibilities. When I toured the Ruf shop, they had a 3.2 on the bench they were making into a 4.0L. That would probably be the ultimate. Eventually, you'll spend enough money that a 3.6 conversion or outright 964 or 993 purchase would have made more sense. I ditched my Carrera for a V-ram 993 and don't even think about HP-increasing mods anymore. I'm cured!
Old 01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Leland Pate
Easy. Get a SC.

So Leland - you still pushing or you have that thing running now?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not looking to heat things up, but I'd like to hear a little more on the airbox drilling. I've got a Fabspeed Euro PreMuffler, a second outlet pipe to the stock muffler and a Steve W chip in the garage.

John

Old 01-21-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: