Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
MBruns for President

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorenfb
Chips suck, case closed.
I personally like my chips – either with salsa or guacamole.

and Loren I think it's not in good taste to make fun of someone's chips...

Last edited by JeremyD; 01-22-2004 at 04:52 PM..
Old 01-22-2004, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Loren--

Not.

My Owners Gallery Page

Non illegitimi carborundum
Old 01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Loren-

As an altenative to chips, what do you suggest?

I recall you discussed this on a previous thread but I can't seem to find it. Something about modifying the maf door spring, bumping the timing and changing the 6 position DME adjustment screw.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
I finally figured out Loren's problem, he already has a chip.....A Huge One on His Shoulder!!!! Step Off D*#k Head.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Unbelievable, I can not believe that after all the discussion on chips a certain "member" still has to try to be a hard nose on this subject. I posted my experience on my installation of a Steve W 93 oct chip, Euro premuff and Dansk SS sport muff last Saturday.

Once again, I saw an amazing difference, don't give me this bs that it "is all in the sound" crap! I'M telling you there IS a marked difference, not a precieved difference but a real difference!!! YAMA....the mods that I have made work...period. I cannot proove to anyone here that these mods have worked, unless you are in NYC, then I will set up an appointment and take anyone for a before and after ride, just make sure to bring a change of underwear.

I guess when a person tries to make a case that is contrary to the general concenssus and realizes that he just might be wrong, a person becomes indignite and will fight to the death to save face.

Respectfully submitted. Enough already!

1985 M491
Old 01-22-2004, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Brcorp:

My simple mods are:

1. for CA cars just remove the brown wire connector - advances timing
a few degrees (basically like a chip install)
2. disconnect the O2 sensor - better throttle response & won't damage
CAT as long as CO is less than 1.0 to 1.5% before CAT
3. tweak the AFM

For those that can now see the "light", consider utilizing the 100% return
policy for unhappy chip purchases, and spend your credit for some nice
Porsche accessories from Pelican that will add REAL value to your cars.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone

Last edited by Lorenfb; 02-07-2006 at 08:45 AM..
Old 01-22-2004, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

yep, this is the method we used 30 years ago when AFMs were first used and no one knew any better. I'm amazed people still continue with the wives tales of unplugging your O2 sensors etc... total Bling

Do it right (the way BOSCH and PORSCHE do it) and program the chip if you need to modify the operating specs.
I'm also (again) disappointed this comes up again and again, not only about chips but also in reference to aftermarket ignition. Unbelievable.
I'm done.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-22-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by krichard
So did you just trim to fit the dual out?
Yep - actually the only flaw in my car was where the previous owner backed into a curb - right where the cut out for the second tip would go - damn the luck - I swear honey - that's why I need a dual out - cheaper than getting that scrape fixed!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for all the info. Everything is always a matter of opinion. So there are some simple low cost mods like loren mentioned, just fine tuning the current setup for optimum performance and or changing the obvious pre muff, adding sport muff, chip option, filter (noise mainly), and so on. So it least it is safe to say 1000 min for any of this stuff with the exception of the adjustments. More of course for the in depth teardown approach. HMM? I definitely want feeling not just numbers and small percent gains that may take away from the design specs limitations. Thanks for the info, many decisions to make. I have been just soaking in all the experience.

"Drive the Ride"
Old 01-22-2004, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

Quote:
Originally posted by yama1
So it least it is safe to say 1000 min for any of this stuff with the exception of the adjustments.
Not exactly true. True, if you buy brand new. Not true, if you buy used. If we are talking about inexpensive upgrades, buy used. A sport muffler can be had for around $150, pre-muffler for $80 and chip for $250. All this adds up to $480, and you can probably install everything yourself.

Remember that whatever you do, do it right. Spending more money does not always equate to the best choice.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Unplugging O2 is a wives tail? Have you done any technical reading lately?
Please tell us where the AFR is set when the O2 sensor is connected. Maybe
at Lambda equal to 1.0. How about where the max engine performance occurs?
Could it be at Lambda equal to .86 (AFR = 12.6)?

Now, please tell us again about NOT using the O2 sensor to achieve max
performance and WHY it's a wives tail. Furthermore, why would you go thru
a major EPROM map change when a simple AFM/MAS change can achieve
the desired results? Do you like to take the difficult approaches to solutions?
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-22-2004, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Hey Loren,
how about posting the dyno sheets back to back - O2 plugged in and unplugged.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-23-2004, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
If you bought everything new it would only be about $900, which would be the best $900 you ever spent for something tangible.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 01-23-2004, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

For those who are Loren fans, there is an interesting parallel thread going on at Rennlist, on the 911 forum. Some of Loren's comments are repeated verbatim there.

Loren is firmly entrenched in his position and will not consider the ample experience of others. He's a lost case, he won't ever change his mind. Let him wallow in his ignorance.

"Chips suck, case closed." What an absurd statement. It's a shame that this idiot keeps hijacking what could otherwise be informative and helpful threads.
Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
'11 BMW 328iX, '18 Nissan Frontier 4X4, '92 Acura NSX.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
just to recap my post on the first page:

===========================================

Ah another one of those threads - SOP is Loren refutes the ability of Steve Wong's chips to positively affect performance - yet dozens of satisfied Steve Wong customers sign on and detail their satisfaction, then loren comes back and accuses them of having a herd mentality...

There - just saved us two pages of drivel.

And Targa911man - Loren does not have an issue with the 5% - it's the 6-8% (or 1-3% difference) without conclusive proof that he has issues with... Oh - and you all are doomed to blow up your engines...
===========================================

Oh, and I think the term is arrogance - Loren is firmly entrenched in his arrogance.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Good Grief, Charlie Brown.....I thought you California Guys were more laid back.... I guess it's all the fumes due to the lack of O2 sensors that are going to someones head....

JA
Old 01-23-2004, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Adman
Quote:
Chips suck, case closed.
If the "case is closed", then I will not be expecting to see any of your replies to future performance chip threads.
PCA Member
Old 01-23-2004, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lorenfb
Chips suck, case closed.

Obviously, Loren has never tried a Steve Wong chip. Sort of like being a "blind" art critic.

JP

Having Fun! (once the snow goes away)

1987 - Carrera Targa - 17K miles
Old 01-23-2004, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Great thread! Not one intelligent comment. Only personal attacks.
Nice posts guys. You're the ones that usually post about a new
polish or a weekend rally, but rarely/never post to help fellow
Pelicans with a technical problem. I guess I shouldn't expect much
more from that mentality.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-23-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Great thread! Not one intelligent comment. Only personal attacks.
Nice posts guys. You're the ones that usually post about a new
polish or a weekend rally, but rarely/never post to help fellow
Pelicans with a technical problem. I guess I shouldn't expect much
more from that mentality.
Umm, Seems like you're the one doing the personal attacks....besides, Haven't you figured out that we're having fun getting you fired up As far as useful info, I posted in one of these other long winded threads that I would be posting laptimes for people to compare. Maybe you missed that...Do you drive on the track? How about posting some of your findings/laptimes. The clock doesn't lie....

Cheers, James

Old 01-23-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: