Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Quote:
"Protomotive Engineering can custom tune a chip for you for a reasonable price. He also has many upgrades for any Porsche model.
Give Todd a call @909-926-2694.

WWW.PROTOMOTIVE.COM

Tim,

A little promotion for a RELATIVE?

Old 01-26-2004, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorenfb
I'll have to setup my schedule, but I'll go back. If you don't have a 28 pin DME
I'll bring one and a Hypertech chip (one of the better chips) & others, e.g.
Autothority, Porsche Club Sport, & Ruf.

Ill post more details later.
That would be excellent...I'd love to try them! I do have a 28 pin DME. Question: Are all DME's 'created equal'? ...i.e. would switching back & forth between DMEs (rather than switching chips in the same DME) put an unwanted variable in the comparisons? I'd already determined that using two DME's would sure facilitate the "chip swapping" if using two of them didn't impact the outcome of the dyno runs. I am really looking forward to this btw...not as a challenge in any way, but as an opportunity to learn more about my 3.2 and to potentially improve her even more if my mods have been "less than desirable". Who knows Loren, you might even want to 'try' a SW chip when we're through ! And we might just interpret the data differently and 'agree to disagree', but I'm sure I'll learn something in the process.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

Shortly I'll post a new thread to clarify the 3.2 DME stock chip issue.

To answer your question, all '84 thru '89 3.2 DMEs are the same with the
exception of EPROMs and jumpers for the EPROMs. Also, I'll try and bring
a modified AFM to show how it can improve the overall throttle response
without having to modify the ignition maps.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-26-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Loren, what is done exactly to modify the AFM?? Details if you could please.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 01-26-2004, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KC911
That would be excellent...I'd love to try them! I do have a 28 pin DME. Question: Are all DME's 'created equal'? ...i.e. would switching back & forth between DMEs (rather than switching chips in the same DME) put an unwanted variable in the comparisons? I'd already determined that using two DME's would sure facilitate the "chip swapping" if using two of them didn't impact the outcome of the dyno runs. I am really looking forward to this btw...not as a challenge in any way, but as an opportunity to learn more about my 3.2 and to potentially improve her even more if my mods have been "less than desirable". Who knows Loren, you might even want to 'try' a SW chip when we're through ! And we might just interpret the data differently and 'agree to disagree', but I'm sure I'll learn something in the process.
i assume that you will have ALL the chips supplied by an objective third party - not someone who is obviously trying to prove a point?

Shucks, I can't make it but I can send my trusty assistant.

'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-26-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by catca
Loren, what is done exactly to modify the AFM?? Details if you could please.

Thanks, Jeff
If you pop the square plastic cap off, there's a potentiometer in there with a spring that a very talented hand can tighten or loosen up. I think that's what controls the barn door opening, which can affect the mixture. I think I have a spare one laying around if you want to see photos of how NOT to do it.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Additional Note:

The U.S. DMEs (050, 082) had some additional resistors to implement the
O2 sensor versus some early Euro DMEs (051, 078). Some of these Euro
DMEs were converted, though, here in the U.S.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

I have an Authority chip (3.2) you can have. Just let me know where to send it.

I have some donor chips for those with 3.6s. You all could use my GIAC, NBD chip, stock, but I am keeping my Ruf in. My car runs about .4 faster 0 - 60 with the Ruf chip.
04 996 Atlas Grey/Blk

Last edited by D Hanson; 01-26-2004 at 02:54 PM..
Old 01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

For anyone entertained by Loren's rantings, he's at it again on the Rennlist 911 forum. Yet another redefinition of his position.

EDIT: NEVER MIND, HE'S BAAAAACK!

Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
'11 BMW 328iX, '18 Nissan Frontier 4X4, '92 Acura NSX.

Last edited by Wavey; 01-28-2004 at 06:08 AM..
Old 01-28-2004, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: