Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I must truly agree,.....this thread has been VERY interesting.

(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 01-24-2004, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Not sure about chips in DME porsches, but there is a guy named Jim Conforti who makes BMW chips.

I recall one of the BMW CCA chapters on the East coast had a dyno day a few years back, ran a bunch of different mods on the dyno.

As I recall, the Conforti chip showed over a 20 hp increase on an E28 535i. That was over 10%.

I also remember a K&N filter showed no increase . . . but we all already knew that, right??

Were the tests unscientific . . . yeah. But the chip increase was big enough to convince everyone there that there was definately an increase.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to P-Dawger
Very entertaining...

Yes - Loren does like to argue...

Loren has an 88. Most would agree that the largest gains to be had are with the earlier chips 84-86. I think Loren bought a chip for his 88 and got nill to nothing and now is sour. The dude is down right hateful about anything chip related. Either a sketchy childhood with a bag of Lay's or he got burned with his 88. All you chipmakers out there fess up for causing Loren to go postal.

All chip makers should watch out for Loren...I know he is posting from a clocktower somewhere...be careful out there!!!!!

There are always folks like this on the board...some have nothing better to do with their time than to prove a point in electronic format. Sad actually.

-Jeff
nolift911@hotmail.com
Old 01-24-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Alright now boys.....let's all remember that this is a place for all of us (who, presumably, are after all interested in the same thing) can speak openly and voice our opinions. This bickering has gone on long enough! Let us all "just get along".....the Porsche Gods are watching and you might just be smote by them.

I know what I know and if someone doesn't agree then fine. We all believe in different philosophies and religions and for the most part are civil to each other in life, so let's carry it onto the BBS.

By the way, I know that the mods I made work....and if someone thinks not, then that's ok. I spent the money, I did the install and I am enjoying my car.

ENUF SAID, once again respectfully submitted.

BTW....I'm right and your not

1985 M491
Old 01-24-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Eureka, I’ve had an epiphany! I’ve got the greatest idea EVAR! We’ll start a Church of Wong (Better than The Wong Church, marketing purposes only) Loren will be our anti-Christ or antichipchrist whichever label seems to fit at the time. Steve can be our HP savior and deliver us from evil and the dreaded Carrera lag. We’ll have a pilgrimage to the dyno and maybe even burn a bush, or at least a couple ricers on the way. Steve can get tax exempt status to easier spread the gospel. What do you think?
Old 01-24-2004, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Amen brother.......Steve W IS the Messiah!!!! Aleluia!

1985 M491
Old 01-24-2004, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Schleprock

Quote:
Originally posted by smoak
..............Again, I certainly don't know what you know, but I do know that I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night....................
I don't know if anybody else caught the above reference to the rather amusing Holiday Inn commercials, but that's one of the wittiest things i've read lately!

Sorry to laugh at the expense of Loren. Hopefully he also found the Holiday Inn reference slightly funny?...........
Old 01-24-2004, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorenfb

Also, remember I was the one who was going to fly back east for the weekend
and help/observe a few dyno runs. I would have been spending my own money
without any benefit. I haven't hear any chips suppliers willing to become involved
or spend money in/on any dyno runs,
have you?
Hey Loren, the runs are are 'on' for Sat. Feb. 14th, you are more than welcome to assist. In fact, if you fly into Charlotte, I will personally pay for your hotel room one night...but it HAS to be a 'Holiday Inn Express' or I'm not going to believe anything you say! Seriously, you pay to fly, and I'll pay your hotel room. Although you may not have heard of chip suppliers willing to pay for dyno runs, Steve Wong did gratiously offer to assist with my dyno expenses via private email (as have several others), but our 1/2 day dyno scheduled is very reasonable in cost, so I have declined all offers. One other thing ...and not to be TOO argumentative, but from the get-go...going back to about a year ago on Rennlist I've always stated the mods I had made (sport muffler, premuffler, 93 octane, etc.), and when someone asked about chips, I recommended they check out Steve Wong's chip. You summarily dismissed all of us SW fans as being 'misled', and pretty much dismissed us as being gullible, and that we in fact were hurting our motors. When we stated that we could 'feel' the difference (and I've never stated that it was a HUGE difference), you argued that since it wasn't backed up by dyno evidence, then our feelings were 'imagined'. I'd welcome the opportunity to by you a beer and 'talk 911s' if you want to come assist!
Old 01-24-2004, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

I'll have to setup my schedule, but I'll go back. If you don't have a 28 pin DME
I'll bring one and a Hypertech chip (one of the better chips) & others, e.g.
Autothority, Porsche Club Sport, & Ruf.

Ill post more details later.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Wink

Loren
I thought that all chips were bad chips. But then again there are those nasty Porsche chips in three different part numbers as well as more agressive maps with each. That all chips did little to nothing for performance and hurt engines. Now it seems that "a" chip could be "one of the better ones", by your own word, but all chips do the same thing right. Just so you know my car has had an Autothity chip installed for the last 12 to 14 + years with no damage to the engine. It now has the best chip for "my" car which is the SteveW "service beyond all belief"chip. The upcoming challenge will have me glued to the computer of course with bowls of my favorite chips. I am impatiently waiting since i also have 88 CE just like Keith's. Hope the chips can handle the pressure and not end up crushed in the bottom of the bag.
Wish I could be there.

04 996 40th Anniversary
88 911 Diamond Blue CE Carrera 3.4 HC3.4 member
2016 Acura RDX
Old 01-24-2004, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 88-diamondblue
Just so you know my car has had an Autothity chip installed for the last 12 to 14 + years with no damage to the engine.
You know, I've been thinking the same thing - where are all the posts about engine damage caused by performance chips? There aren't any! Your post is one of MANY in this and other threads where someone has had a performance chip for 10 years or more, with no complaints.

Quote:
Originally posted by NY65912
Amen brother.......Steve W IS the Messiah!!!! Aleluia!
Agreed!

Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
'11 BMW 328iX, '18 Nissan Frontier 4X4, '92 Acura NSX.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll have to setup my schedule, but I'll go back. If you don't have a 28 pin DME
I'll bring one and a Hypertech chip (one of the better chips) & others, e.g.
Autothority, Porsche Club Sport, & Ruf.

Ill post more details later.
Everybody flag this email and see if he follows through.
Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Protomotive Engineering can custom tune a chip for you for a reasonable price. He also has many upgrades for any Porsche model.
Give Todd a call @909-926-2694.

WWW.PROTOMOTIVE.COM
Old 01-25-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Once you change the intake and exhaust systems,
performance gains are possible with chip changes.
Wait a minute.

Loren, from the beginning you have catagorically condemned all SteveW chips, and denied that the increased power we have all felt was real.

You know full well that nearly all the SteveW users have also modified their exhaust systems with a bypass pipe or Euro premuffler.

So which is it? How can you claim that the chips are worthless, when you state above that gains are possible?

Are you softening your stance?

You are certainly beginning to hedge.

What you say in the quote above does NOT match what you have said in the past. Your credibility is down in the single digits.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Some people just have to learn to read better and think fully about how
they interpret what they read. Most continue taking things out of context
to make their illogical/irrational/irrelevant points.

As I've said many times; "Few people really contribute intelligently to a
thread." This has been exemplified over and over again on this thread!
Most should continue to only post on topics about polish and how to inflate
Porsche tires. You'd think you might expect a little higher quality of posts,
but maybe not. It's probably hopeless.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 01-25-2004, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Now where did I leave my polishin' rag... Hmm what's this? An IGNORE button?? hooray, I'm saved from reading anymore of this drivel.

Loren - it is hopeless, at least for as long as you continue to post.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Some people just have to learn to read better and think fully about how
they interpret what they read. Most continue taking things out of context
to make their illogical/irrational/irrelevant points.

As I've said many times; "Few people really contribute intelligently to a
thread." This has been exemplified over and over again on this thread!
Most should continue to only post on topics about polish and how to inflate
Porsche tires. You'd think you might expect a little higher quality of posts,
but maybe not. It's probably hopeless.
Well, there you go again. The classic debate tactic of shifting the focus and attacking personally, rather than responding to your argument's highlighted shortcomings. I won't stay up waiting for you to respond to my point rather than calling me a dummy.

As much as you think you may know, your out-of-hand dismissals do not help your argument.

Incredibly, many of us trust our own hard-won knowledge and observations to your unsubstantiated rantings. And as much as you deny it, many of us do have some education and knowledge. Just the way it is.

So long Loren. I'm going to use the ignore button as well. I'll check back from time to time to see if you actually have any substance beyond the bluster.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

Garage
to cool, just click ignore and no more dribble except for those dang quotes
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/krichard/
Old 01-25-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Quite the contrary, I'm thinking of cancelling my satellite TV and sending $49.00 a month to Loren, just for the entertainment value! This guy's better than Comedy Central.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
You know, you think he's being decent - starting to actually act like a human - then BANG - starts with the personal slaps...

Come on guys - let's go back to the car wash forum - what's the best thing to put on your wheels again?

Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: