Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First Engine Drop: Almost Done

With the help of Pelican and Bentley I did my first pcar engine drop last week, 86 Targa 3.2. I used a homemade engine stand with castor wheels, and dropped the transaxle with the engine. The number 1 reason was to replace the guide tube. I found the guide was only slightly worn, BUT the plastic bushings for the TO fork were missing, and the fork was rubbing on the lip of the TO bearing, making shifts difficult.

The first three days were spend cleaning....what a mess! I've done engine transplants in old BMWs that were not half as nasty as this engine.

OK, now to the point. The plugs were in good shape, so there is no excessive oil burning. In addition to fixing the clutch, I have adjusted the valves, replaced the fuel filter, new plugs, new bolts for the CV joints, new intake gaskets and phenolic blocks, and new rear shocks while the getting was good. I took off the tinware, cleaned, painted and replaced. The motor mounts and tranny mounts were new 6 months ago. What else should I do before I reinstall?

TIA

MFB
86 3.2 with 113K, all srock

Old 01-07-2004, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Engine Flywheel side main seal.
oil pressure warning switch O-ring
oil thermostat O-ring
Cam oil lines, left and right.
clutch cable

Your bushing (at the guide tube) was missing? I hate hackers PO.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-07-2004, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Other things that are a pain with the engine in, so good to do now if you need them:
- sound pad
- trailing arm to torsion bar tube bushings
- decklid shocks (only a half-pain)
Old 01-07-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
retired, mostly

Crankcase vent gasket and hose if necessary.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you want a copy of my list email me chrispetron@teamvanguard.com. I am in the same position and I made a list with part numbers of everything I should do while in there.

It has about 60-65 items on it. Took about three weeks to compile. a few tasty tidbits from a lot of people. The only thing "wrong" with my engine is the clutch needs to be replaced. Somehow though I am going to end up doing about $2500 worth of work to it.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

wasnt there an issue with a fuel rail or fuel line bursting on the 3.2's? Changing them was a pain if I remember reading correctly?

Chris
Old 01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote: "wasnt there an issue with a fuel rail or fuel line bursting on the 3.2's? Changing them was a pain if I remember reading correctly?"

Uh oh. Is this the start of 3.2 Urban Legend #3?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by RickM
Quote: "wasnt there an issue with a fuel rail or fuel line bursting on the 3.2's? Changing them was a pain if I remember reading correctly?"

Uh oh. Is this the start of 3.2 Urban Legend #3?
I've never heard of one bursting. On the other hand the ones in my '86 are 18 years old now so I decided to bite the bullet and replace all of rubber fuel lines as part of my rebuild.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: