Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Calling all audio gurus!

I'm looking at upgrading the sound system in my cab and am thinking of the following:-

- New Pioneer CD Tuner with MP3 & iPod capability + 12 Stacker
- Front 6.5" Component Speakers (thinking perhaps Pioneer TS-C160R's)
- Infinity Basslink Powered 10" Subwoofer in trunk
- Two channel JL-Audio Amp (~70w RMS per channel @ 14.5v)

Possible configuration:

- The Tuner will feed the Basslink directly via the subby output.

- The Amp will drive the two door speakers.

- The CD Tuner will drive the rear 4" speakers.

Does this look like a good combination to you guys?

Not really after audiophile quality sound because I'm on a budget and, well, it's a Cabriolet

I've read on these forums that a good pair of 6.5" speakers & amp will suffice and no subby is really required, but I just want that little extra bass

Advice/suggestions?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition

Last edited by WydRyd; 04-21-2006 at 03:02 AM..
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did sort of what you got there, JL 300/4 6.5 diamond audio in the doors, and one self powered kenwood sub thing.
in the end it ended up like this
JL amp bridged to front components
powered sub from deck
ditched the rear stuff all together. It sounds better without. Don't know why.
also moved tweeters to kick panel.
I love that kenwood sub box, But I couldn't fit it in the smugglers box so it's behind pass seat.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Ptoscano
subsolutions.com, bass is amazing even with the top off at 70mph. Bass blows through duct work
Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I disagree with the "no rear". You need the rear speakers for the actual stereo concept. I have Infiniti 4x6's in the back and infiniti 6 1/2 in the doors and when I fade to just the front there is a major reduction in stereo and sound quality. Just my opinion. In addition, what I have, even though they are high speakers and amp, is still lacking the bass punch I would like.

2015 Audi S3
1988 Carrera Coupe (gone and miss her)
Old 04-21-2006, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
Perhaps a dumb question (especially from someone who's supposed to know audio gear) but while we're discussing gear, will the amp have an impact on sound quality vs. whatever amp is built-in to the stereo deck itself? There's no amp in my car, and I'm looking at putting in a small sub to help fill out the frequency range. Will an amp produce better sound quality or just more volume? I don't need massive volume - it goes loud enough as it is, but I would like better sound quality.

Sorry for the (kind-of) hijack!

Chris
Old 04-21-2006, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
With an open car, I'd look for 100-125 (real RMS) watts per channel. You can get by with less in a closed car.
2016 Chevy Volt parts fetcher- now at 444 MPG
Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

FWIW

I might change those 6.5's in the front to 3 ways with a decent tweeter on it. With the sub and those component speakers, you would get a lot of low-to-mid up front, but your only high freq would be coming from the rear. Additionally, I might get some 6.5's that don't require as much power, then you could ditch the amp and use the head unit for all 4 speakers.

edit: or you could just add some tweeters

1985 Targa

Last edited by mschuep; 04-21-2006 at 06:42 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

has anyone tried quality 8" speakers in the doors? What about a fiberglass enclosure shaped the same as the door pocket? This would be ideal.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dbox
I'd like to upgrade mine as well but I hate the look of the new school cd players. The blaupunkt in mine definitely fits the look of the vehicle. Do any manufactures make new stereos that don't look outrageous?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to Leidenschaft Send a message via Yahoo to Leidenschaft
For the original poster,

I'd like to add that you normally want to keep all your audio gear of the same brand (speakers, amps, deck, subs). When you do that they give you the best sound reproduction because they are all engineered and tested to work within that particular brand. If you don't have the option of sticking within all the same brand, then try to stick with same brand of deck and amp.

As far as the amp question asked earlier, it improves volume and SQ (sound quality).
Old 04-21-2006, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yes - the amp needs adequate power to drive the speakers -- without 'straining' and it needs to be of decent quality overall. There are many choices...

The rear speakers are helpful in getting a sound stage -- it will not be the most accurate sound stage, but you are never going to get real audiophile sound in a 911 for several different reasons.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 04-21-2006, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dbox
I'd like to upgrade mine as well but I hate the look of the new school cd players. The blaupunkt in mine definitely fits the look of the vehicle. Do any manufactures make new stereos that don't look outrageous?
Nakamichi make several very nice simple and elegant black units - without all the chrome and lights other manufacturers seem to find fashionable.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Christien-
I am not an "audio guru," but anecdotally I would recommend an amp. I do not know of any head units that can provide a clean 50 watts per channel and you want enough power to move your speakers, especially if they are high-end. I think of it like this: even at low volumes you can tell the difference between a low-power and high-power system. Without the juice to move a larger magnet, you get distortion. This does not mean you have to spend big bucks, but you want to do your speakers justice.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
Thanks, that explains it just perfectly - exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Nakamichi = high quality (same for Alpine)

During the time of the founder, Etsuru (sp?) Nakamichi, it was very much like Porsche; originally called Nakamichi Research, they went for the very highest performance (with some maintenance required). Today it is still a high quality co., tho the products aren't at cult status any more...

Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Eclipse (Fujitisu Ten) if we are going to recommend brands. Better than Alpine, but unfortunately have become rather garish in appearance since their introduction about 15 years ago. With an early car, I'd put the head unit in the glove box (cubby box) anyway and have the stock in the dash as a dummy.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rockford Fosgate makes a great amp and are not super expensive. real world specs not some hyped up numbers.

You want a amp that has low THD. In laymens terms you want a amp the has very low distortion and signal to noise ratio.

A cheap amp will add un wanted distortion as volume increases. it will also help to destroy your speakers.
Signal to noise is bascally "self noise" that I'm sure you have heard before. turn on your system and hear that wonderful hiss.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

all good - we can add a/d/s

today, massive neg. feedback allows very low THD - distortion - numbers - this can cost in other ways tho

Find a few good brands near you and listen carefully w/same speakers... I don't think you can figure things out with specs. anymore...

Old 04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hmmm, I like crystal clear sound and good bass response. I'm told the Focal PolyKevlar 165K2P speakers are absolutely awesome, but I dont think I can afford the hefty $799 price tag

The Focal's with an Audison LRx 2.250 2-channel amp would be a perfect combination, but once again, $$$$!!!

Just dreaming here
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

WydRyd,

If you could afford the focals you would be blown away. They wouldn't sound like 800 dollar speakers powered off your deck but with the right amp they would sound incredible. IF I were you on a budget I would get an eclipse deck, a GOOD 4-channel amp, and some decent 6 1/2 door speakers. Clean sounding bass is very hard to get out of a porsche without cutting and doing all kinds of fiberglass work... all of which is very expensive. Im sure Hotshottt (one of my good friends that works at a highly respected audio shop in town) will chime in on this thread with some good info and ideas for you later tonight.

Mike
Old 04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: