Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

electric Mirrors on a 1977 911. - pinout please

Hello all

I am hoping someone out there has the pinout/wiring diagram for the electric mirror's to suit a 911 1977 model.

My left hand mirror was not working... found out it was missing the cable...

So I am chasing the pinout/wiring diagram.

6 wires in a 7 pin din plug.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think I may have that.

Will look and post again tomorrow.

Ron
Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well I did find my stash of mirror wiring info - but it may not apply since it's all US spec and you're down-under and on the "wrong" side. Hopefully there are some similarities......

It would help if you could send a photo of your pass. side mirror and connector. Are you sure about the 7 pin DIN? Everything I have here (and the factory manual) is based on a six pin connector.

Also, I'm curious that you say the cable is missing. Was this mirror added at some time? As you may know, it's hard to take a flag mirror completely off without cutting the cable. This often happens when mirrors are painted or replaced. Have you checked inside your door? If the cut end of the cable is there (coming through the door jamb) then you probably have factory wiring set up. If there's no cable running between the trunk and the door, the car did not originally have a pass side mirror and yours was added later. This is the case with my '77. Most of the US cars only had one mirror. I added a pass mirror but have not yet run a cable - so it's manual just like yours.

Another confusion factor is to figure out which type of mirrors you have. '77 cars here had the older type - call it Type A - which has one motor and a magnetic clutch inside. Newer types look the same but have two separate motors. If you mix and match types, you can't use a single joystick switch - they are not compatible. In my setup, I ended up getting a newer Type B mirror for the pass side and I will need to add a second joysitck switch. The factory designs allow you to use the single control switch in your drivers door and you select the left or right mirror with a switch under the speedometer.

Anyway, since we are dealing with a time lag, I'm sending info on both types. Feel free to filter this out and send me more details and questions.

Here are photos of both types:

And here are the associated connectors - again, both are 6 Pin

Here's the pin out info based on the parts I have. (Numbers are molded into the ends of the connectors. I don't know if the columns will line up when I post this so here is the format for the info below)

Pin Number - Wire Color From Mirror To Connector - Wire Color From Connector to Chassis Harness - Function.

Type A

Pin 1 - Blue - Blue - Motor Lead (a)
Pin 2 - Black - Black/Yellow - Motor Lead (b)
Pin 3 - Gray/Green - Gray/Green - Heater (a)
Pin 4 - Brown - Brown - Heater (b)
Pin 5 - Brown - Brown - Magnetic Clutch (a)
Pin 6 - White - White - Magnetic Clutch (b)

Type B

Pin 1 - White - Two Wires: Red and White/Red - Motor Common*
Pin 2 - White/Brown - Blue/Gray - Left/Right Operating Lead
Pin 3 - Black - Black/Blue - Up/Down Operating Lead
Pin 4 - Black/Brown - Red - Motor Common*
Pin 5 - Brown - Gray/Green - Heater (a)
Pin 6 - Brown - Brown - Heater (b)

* Note: The Red wire on Pins 1 and 4 is the same wire. It loops from 1 to 4 on the back of the chassis connector.

I hope this helps. I can try to send the factory wiring diagram (Type A only) if needed.

Ron

Last edited by 2ndTARGA; 03-26-2008 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Smile Thanks for the info

Hi

Thanks for the information.
I have only had a quick look but it appears I have both the A and B mirrors.
B on the left side of the 911.

So from the quick look I have had the info you have supplied "GOLD".
Yes the plug is a 6pin... the local guys here referred to it as a 7pin

Many thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You're very welcome - glad to help.

Sounds like we both have the same situation (even if reversed) It wasn't until after I had my "new" passenger side mirror painted that I determined that the Type B mirrors cannot be wired into the Type A switch Assy.

So I decided to keep it and run my own cable from the pass side mirror and install a newer type joystick somewhere to operate it. And in addition, the dual-motor Type B design looks more reliable internally than the Type A, which uses a cable and pulley set up.

But to be honest, that was about a year ago and I've never once had to adjust the mirror after I set it manually the first time. So as time goes by the incentive to wire it up is fading (it's not as if my car doesn't need other work

If you're intent on the "correct" set-up, I think the best thing would be to find a used Type A mirror for the pass side and wire it up per the wiring diagram, which I have if you need. You'll also need the small rocker switch under the speedo (or tach, I forget which)

Ron
Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK - Now I'm inspired - Thanks!

As I said, automating my off-side mirror was an "out of sight - out of mind" project, but working on the above posts has got me thinking.........

I still need to do some testing, but I believe it may be possible to adapt a newer B style passenger side mirror to work with the older A style switch set up.

It will require the design of a small (hopefully simple) relay module between the Left/Right rocker switch and the off-side mirror, but I think it can be done.

It will be a month or so until I can get to it figure it out, but I'll let you know what I come up with - if you're interested.

Ron
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I wish to commend both of you! I have been keeping up with this thread. My mirrors work just fine, NOW! I went through all of this about 7 or 8 years ago, because my mirrors did not actuate the same, to the proper little "joy switch" movements. I had to remove them, and found a couple of the wires that were not in the proper location in the socket connectors for synchronized movement. I fixed that. All has been well in the kingdom of the mirrors ever since.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the comment, 3.2 CAB. Wiring projects can be intriguing ( at least when they're not causing a fire or stranding you on a freeway! )

Good work on fixing your mirrors.

Ron
Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Oh yes, the joy of running wires! That is one of the things that you can get immediate satisfaction from. Just today, I installed the proper wiring for the stereo system in my 750iL BMW. A friend from one of the BMW boards sent the wiring harness to me and this evening I got all of it returned to stock function. This car has a really nice factory sound system in it. Just up front thee are 6 speakers, tweeters, mid-range, and lower range. All of this is included in the factory system, it also has a 6 disc CD changer, Amp, the rear speakers. It really was nice to listen to. Tony.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 03-29-2008, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi Ron

Thanks for all your help
All information is greatly received.
Not sure about what to do with the mirrors shall check it all out.
The info on the Type A mirror wiring diagram would be good.

I shall also look into the ability to have both mirrors working...

May look at new mirrors... I have always liked the look of the tear drop mirrors so I may go down path.

I also have a lot of other items requiring work on the 911.....

Thanks again and look forward to reading any updates.

More post to put up.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem as you guys ....except I have the older style mirrors with newer style connectors and yes there are 7 pins on the drivers side.

My problem is the the PO(s) have cut and spliced the wires and the harness are in bad shape, PP sells the replacement harnesses but what year do I go with?

I have several sections of harnesses out of wrecked donors, one has a molded connector which plugs in into the switch and the others have covered wire connectorsany idea which should be for an 83 SC?

and has anyone got a wiring diagram for 78 and 83 mirror harness?.

I have Haynes and Bentley but they don't differentiate.

Thanks LM
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

LM

I'd like to help and have the wiring diagrams up through '82. But I'm confused about the "7 pin connector".

Up through '82 this connector is referred to by Porsche as T6a, which is labeled: Connector, six-fold in mirror housing, driver's side. All of the new and old one's I have are 6 pin. Although I don't think any of them are new style driver's side. Any chance you're counting the center plastic locating post?

How about some photos - including the back of your control switch?

Has the set up you inherited from the PO ever worked correctly?

Ron
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the newer wiring diagram.

I can now see why you can't use the newer style mirrors with the old wiring but, by going to PP and checking their info on the mirror switche, the switch is the same from 77 to 86.

my problem is trying to match the old/newer wiring that is in such bad shape, I figure that it will cost less for me to by new harnesses than to try and fix these ones.

I attached pictures of a new OEM main harness connector and old door connector to show there are 7 pins connectors, the 7th is ground for the heated mirror. on the door connector.

PP parts diagram list show ....7 pole connector as part # 803971979 or 803971980

Thanks for your info I have been going from the Haynes diagrams for 82 to 77 and then to the Bentley manual trying to figure them out.

Thanks again LM

Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

PS I forgot to ask where you got the replacement wiring harness smoke , probably the same place we get our cans of checkered paint or cans of compreesion or the newer Horse power pills.

Thanks again for you diagram/picture they will make my job easier( not any quicker) .

LM
Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I wouldn't buy a new or used harness. Make your own and do a better job.

The MSD parts book has these Deutsch connectors and ones they use.

I use Deutsch in my engine compartment for CHT probe connections. They are low load. I'd probably use the MSD waterproof flat connectors for mirrrors.

good luck
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

911-613-115-00-M100
Mirror Switch, 911 (1974-86)
Brand: Genuine Porsche [Photo] [Photo]

$69.00

928-613-241-00-M100
Mirror Switch, 911 (1987-89)
Brand: Genuine Porsche [Photo] [Photo]

$76.25
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

I've tried for a little while to sort out the exact same kind of problem around rear mirror wiring for my 928 (Euro) of 1985. As far as I know it's the same model of rear mirrors than in a 911.

When I opened up the rear mirror on the drivers' side I realized I was certainly not the first one in the car's history doing that, because all the wiring was completely messed up!! And especially, the white 7 plug connectors were missing and the cables on the harnesses were directly connected to one another with some black tape.... uughh, pretty ugly.

Since the whole thing was no longer working (you bet !), I've tried to recable it and figure out which color should be connected to which, but no luck so far. I'm only managing to burn fuses each time I make a new attempt.

Looking at this thread above you may well be able to help me out. It looks from the photos that my mirror is of the "A" type, and luckily, it's also an A type on the passenger side as well. So, it should work !!

However, what's different is that the colors of my cables are slightly different, both on the mirror side and on the car side. Not completely different, but somewhat different.

What I've got on the mirror side (6 cables) :
- black
- blue
- white
- yellow and brown
- brown
- a second brown

What I've got on the car side :
- blue
- yellow
- white
- brown (only one)
- green and gray

As a reminder, this is what I've got on the driver's side which is the part which is not working.

Couple of questions :
1) Does someone know which color should go with which?
2) I don't have the white 7 plug connector - could I use a basic terminal strip instead to wire the cables together, or do I really have better get a white connector because it would do something "special" that a basic strip wouldn't do?
3) Not so important than the above 2, but I'm curious why my colors are different than what's described here?

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Yves from Paris, France
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Is the 928 switch and the 911 switch same pn?
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 09-14-2008, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hello - Yes I think it is the same : I've looked at the PET for the 928 and also a site such as 928gt.com, and found the P/Ns for the switch to be :
- 911.613.115.00 for the piece with the small joystick
- 911.613.113.00 for the piece where you select the Left or Right mirror
Old 09-15-2008, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: