Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Misfit

Garage
78 SC Backdate hybrid hotrod

No, not that kind of hybrid. I just mean a mixture of influences from 911 cars that I have come to love and respect: 911R, ST, RS, and TR.
I wasn't sure what to call this monstrosity. Three years in the making with many change of plans in between and now getting closer to completion everyday. To start with, I really wanted an early 911S and I tried. I really did. Then, when my son was diagnosed with autism, I new getting an early S wasn't going to happen. But I was able to get this 1978 SC and thanks to my wife and some very creative financing (namely me selling just about everything I've collected over the past 20 years.) I was able to get my modification ideas of the ground.

So, off I went.

At first, I wasn't really sure where to start. I knew it had to look like an early car and I wanted to use it on the track some of the time. But, first things first and one of the first things I learned was that galvanized cars still could be rusty in spots.

Okay. This is going to take a while.

911 hotrod -- 3.0L, lightened, abused with love
'74 914 bastard

Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 12-30-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Rear shock tower support bar with gussets.

'74 914 bastard

Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 11-10-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
As many of you guys know, getting to the bare metal in the interior is a hell of a lot of hard work.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
It's just time and a heat gun

And more hard work.

I'm not doing this work by the way. Did I mention I want it done right?

Soon to be no more sunroof.

Thanks for looking. More to come soon.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Are you going to weld up the sunroof?
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So cool getting rig of the sunroof. All those unwanted extra kilos up high.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a good start to a nice project. You planning on going the full long hood look?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Yes sir

And I am putting in a lot of nice touches. The concept is a light weight RS / R /ST looking track car for the street. I did not want a replica. Nothing against them. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do a correct replica of any of those cars. So this will be my early racer interpretation. It should be a nice looking car that is fun to drive.
Here is some of what is planned:

Fiberglass RS front and rear bumpers, front fenders, hood and ducktail.
911R plastic door handles.
RS door panels.
911R taillights.
911R style plastic front vent windows with vent bubble.
911R rear quarter windows with vents and drip tray.
Center fill gas tank with 110mm Blau cap.
7 and 8 original Fuchs reconditioned in the RSR style by Harvey Weidman.
Fully rebuild 915 with 7:31 ring, LSD and case modification from WEVO.
WEVO short shifter.
WEVO engine and transmission mounts.
SSIs
Bilstein sports
S alloy front calipers.
10,000 rpm tach.
180 mph speedo.
Original Cibie Pallas.
ST seats from Stefan.
No radio.
No A/C
6 point Sabelt harnesses.
Full bolt in cage.
I have collected several really beautiful old flat MOMO steering wheels too.

The interior will be completely gutted with no insulation anywhere so I expect it will be pretty loud inside. It's very close to paint ready. I'm planning on a two tone scheme. Chiffon/off white on the body. The hood and ducktail will be an Audi color; Aviator grey/lighter version.

Engine is a 3 liter, mostly stock and previously rebuilt. I've added Webers and it's been nicely detailed.

And I hoping to add some addition support in front to make up for the loss of the alloy bumper.

I've got a lot more photos to add. I'll do my best to keep adding stuff. Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Mark

'74 914 bastard

Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 12-30-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mark,

Looks like a fun project..

I too am starting a similar project on a 78.. well sort of. (as if I need another project, I must be losing my f****ing mind).

I beginning to gut the interior as you. I'll be using an RS style carpet kit and I'm still debating as to the complete removal of the sound deadening.. as you said, it's gonna be loud!
I'm keeping the s/r but think the rain gutters are going bye bye!
It has lighter euro doors, fiberglass 1/4s, fenders, hood, and bumpers

Anyway.. good luck and thanks for some motivation!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Green Skull 006

Watching with interest, good luck.
"It makes me sad. Our cars were meant to be driven, not polished" - Ferry Porsche while surveying a PCA Parade concours field.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
I love these old wheels

I have to admit. I have been bitten hard by the old MOMO bug. Once I got started and discovered these old beauties, I just want more. There is just something about them. I don't understand why, when you have a beautiful old porsche, would you want a brand new looking steering wheel? Here is my 360mm Elite and a 320mm Prototipo.

By the way, thanks you guys for all the encouragement.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ford guy who loves P cars

Very COOL!!!

My brother's got a cooler car than I do.... WAAAAH

Mark the car is coming along GREAT!
Thanks for the link, I'll be following the progress intently!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered Misfit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysidecarr View Post
Very COOL!!!

My brother's got a cooler car than I do.... WAAAAH
Thanks bro, but hold on there. Your car (supercharged Cobra) is extremely cool. And yours is running.
Batten down the hatches for Ike. We'll be in touch.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
350mm flat silver Prototipo

This is definitely one of my favorites. Beautiful patina and a great solid feel.
I love it.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
More body work

The sun roof is history. Was metal was welded in of course but didn't get photos that day. I was amazed at the weight of all the components of the sun roof. Didn't actually weigh it but it had to be 70 pounds or more. And really the only rust on the car was in the left rear seat. I'll bet it's a common area for moisture to accumulate. Couldn't locate OEM stamping so had to fabricate it. It looks like a lot more fiberglass in the photos than there actually is. This work here was done about six months ago.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Several regrets but Pelican Parts comes through in a pinch

I wish I could have done a rotisserie job on the car. And I wish I could have taken the entire car down to bare metal. I could only afford to do it in several major areas. I missed getting photos of a lot of the body work before primer. Mind you, there wasn't much that need to be done. The body was very straight. This is an education. And unfortunately in my position , I had to compromise at times. Here are shots of fenders, bumpers, etc. in primer. All the fiberglass panels are from Getty design.

FYI everyone. I got a call today from Rich my builder/mechanic. He needed some parts asap/by Monday morning to keep this thing going. I got on the phone with Glenn from our benevolent host, and he set me up very well. Parts are on the way with overnight delivery. Took no more than 5 minutes on the phone. Thank you Pelican Parts. Car on schedule for painting next Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed.

'74 914 bastard

Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 12-30-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Keep it going

Exterior shots primer

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Work to pedal area

And passenger side. I have to admit. Posting this progress is addicting and a lot of fun.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Finally! Paint!

It just seems like it has taken forever to get to this point and there's still a long way to go. How many of you can relate to that? Let me tell you. I am really excited. The interior is shot and edging is done in most areas. Looks pretty good. The final exterior painting will be done at the paint shop which if all goes to plan, will be next Saturday. I like this color a lot.

Here are the doors. They are from a 67.

I love my wide angle lens.

and more

'74 914 bastard

Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 09-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
Center fill gas tank

Rich had a pretty good idea of how he wanted to approach this. It took forever to actually get him going on it. But when he finally did, he had it mostly done in two days.

I have to stress that safety was a primary objective. With this configuration, the Blau cap is really just cosmetic. We are using the original filler neck with all it's original internals. I can't be to specific about the construction (I'm not a mechanic or an engineer that's for sure) but where the neck attached to the tank is not welded. It is super secure and has several seals. It is made to break away from the tank in a high impact collision. The original cap with be just under the Blau cap. There are seals and a drain for water run off and if there is a little fuel spillage when filling up. The nice thing is with the original neck, it will stop the gas flow just like it used to when it was positioned in the fender. I think he did a great job. I don't have all the photos yet but will post more when I get them.

'74 914 bastard
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: