Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to Install Boxster Seats in an 74 911 (using original sliders)

There has been some discussion about installing Boxster/996 seats in an earlier car. The issue is that the seat sits higher if you use the Boxster/996 sliders.

I just installed seats from a 2000 Boxster in my 74 911 and I used the original 74 sliders, so they are at the same height. I got a really great deal on the black leather Boxster seats, so it was worth taking the time to figure out how to mount them.

The Boxster seats had manual height adjustment (pneumatic cylinder) and electric seat back adjustment. Yes, with the Boxster sliders the seats sat 1.5 inchs higher stock. It was noticeable and felt too high.

Here is how I did the install:

After removing the original seats, I ran a power wire from under the dash with an inline fuse. I ran a ground wire to one of the seat mount bolt.

Now for the seats.

Remove the Boxster sliders.

Remove the pneumatic height cylinder.

There will be the 4 pads that the sliders were bolted to. The front pads will have a lip that needs to be cut off. I used a high speed cut off wheel.

I took the sliders off the original 74 seats. The pads on the Boxster seats will have holes in them. I use the front holes on the original sliders and lined them up with the very front holes on the front pads on the Boxster seats. I used new allen bolts and lock nuts to mount the sliders onto the pads. You will have to drill new holes in the slider to line up with the hole on the pad.

With the original sliders installed the seats will line up with the original holes. The front bolts were easy to get to, the back ones were tight on room. I used allen bolts in the baqck and had to cut the allen wrench down to make it fit.

Here is a pictures of the seat installed.

Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

looks very nice

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Make My Day

cool, nice seats, are they comfy?
Not crazy aout that horn pad though.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Cool idea - gotta' admit they look a little out of place (too "futuristic") in a '74, but they're undoubtedly comfortable. Nice job overall!

Black Cars Matter
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do you know if you can hook up the original heating element?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the feed back. The seats are very comfortable, especially compared to the old ones, which were 35 years old. I use to have piles of crumbled foam under the old seats. I wanted a newer seat so I wouldn't have to worry about them deteriorating. I have to admit that I got the all black leather Boxster seats for $200 for the pair. I found them listed in "The Mart" section on the PCA website, which was the first time I looked there, my first source for used parts of course is the Pelican classifieds.
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

These seats didn't have a heating element. But since there is a 12 line to the seats, hooking up the heater shouldn't be a problem. The heater would draw more current, so a bigger in-line fuse may be required. I put in a 5 amp in-line fuse, which is fine for powering the seat back motors.
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I think they look great. Nice work.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Awesome work!! Nothing like actually being comfortable while driving...what a concept! I think the seats look perfect in your '74, not out of place at all. I see you are a Ford guy too.

Yasin
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench
These are my current seats:

The are in great condition, but they are quite 'flat' and don't have any hugging quality in the corners.

I was thinking about replacing them with these:

Ill be keeping the originals, but here is the point that the purists here are free to abuse me....
Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

PorschePilot,
What type of seat adjustments do you now have on the seats? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have a bunch of 911 seat sliders laying around if anyone else is going this route.Nice job on the seats!!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I think they look great! nice job. Thanks for the write up, that's why I like this site!!!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The seat have the manual fore and aft adjustments and use the electric powered backrest, which is really nice for changes on long trips.
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Great job !
Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: