Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered?

Garage
Waterlogged Rust Bucket

Since my last back-date project was not challenging enough I thought I'd get into something that required a little more work. Well, I might have bit off a little more than I bargained for...

Background info: It's a 1970T, originally from California that has been sitting under a carport in Southern Oregon for the past five years. The car is complete but not running. The tranny is a type 911 4-spd and the motor is still an unknown. I was told by the PO that it's a 2.4, but I was told that it had a 915 also. The color is original and has been repainted in a terrible way - as in thick and cracking. Initial inspections showed rust in the front suspension pan and everything else in fairly good condition. At least that's what I thought.

The original plan was to replace the suspension pan, clean things up, give it a new paint job, with the possibility of throwing in a 3.0 or 3.2 to mate with the 915. That was then. The drivetrain decision has been "pinned to the wall" for a later date and I'll be focusing on getting the body ready.

I was hesitant in doing a thread about the build process, but ultimately decided to post as a means of guidance for my benefit since this is all new to me. I know many of you have already "been there & done that" so any guidance you may feel moved to provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Disassembly has begun and moved to it's temporary resting place. The car reaks of moisture... removal of the sound deadening material in the back revealed "standing water "on the parcel shelf, rear seats, and down to the floor. Gravity...
Suspicious signs of fiberglass repair on the parcel shelf. Uh-oh.

Last edited by blee; 01-03-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Fenders off and gas tank out. Twelve gallons of 5-year old gas, nasty.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
So, what's the vision?
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I've got a good feeling about this one...

Will be watching with anticipation.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Something resembling this genre without the RSR fenders:
(thanks for the vote of confidence mate (Peter)!)
Old 01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I vote for Lime Green... (same stripe)

Sorry I meant Viper Green.

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 01-03-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
I see carrera upgrades on the engine, and it look nice! doesen't look like a 2.4
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Your ducktail looks like it could be fiberglass bonded to a steel lid, is that the case?

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
Your ducktail looks like it could be fiberglass bonded to a steel lid, is that the case?
That would be cool.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Doesn't look like the typical rust bucket to me. Dash, door panels and mirrors are not correct for a 71. Has a center console. I think you're going to find a bunch of unusual things on this car.
1982 SC D-Stock #372
NASA GTS2
1971T restoration in progress, read about it here:
http://911restorationmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster13 View Post
Doesn't look like the typical rust bucket to me. Dash, door panels and mirrors are not correct for a 71. Has a center console. I think you're going to find a bunch of unusual things on this car.
And you are an expert on rust buckets!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
Good eye. That was my initial thought too, but it turned out to be an early all FG ducktail of unknown manufacture that was built with lots of detail & quality. It's already found a new home with one of our Canadian enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster13 View Post
Yah, like those giant speakers mounted on the front kick-panel . The mirrors are not correct but are OE. Kind of rare to find original drivers & passenger - the mounting holes on the passenger side is factory as well and not a custom job. Did I mention power windows and power seats?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
300hp 1800lbs is the goal

Garage
meh... that's not a rust bucket

I'm replacing damn near all the metal on my '66..... except the vin plate

The science was settled: Earth was flat.
Galileo : Flat Earth denier.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pksystems View Post
meh... that's not a rust bucket

I'm replacing damn near all the metal on my '66..... except the vin plate
Amen to that, this car is rust free in about 75% of most sellers mind. Nice project.

Phillip
1979 911 SC
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
GAFB

What an interesting car!! Looks like a fun project. I agree, the rust doesn't look too bad - though we all know what can happen once the grinder comes out.

Looks like a 2.2 based on the black shroud...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Something resembling this genre without the RSR fenders:
(thanks for the vote of confidence mate (Peter)!)
That's a good vision! Print that picture out and post it over your workbench.
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Performed a little exploratory surgery this weekend. Focusing on the rear to start with since I already know the front suspension pan and tank support will have to be replaced. Took a little paint off the rear to start the surgery - this is what I found:
Driver's side

Passenger side

They were going to come out anyway so that I can access the parcel, but I didn't expect the holes and fiberglass.

Removed the FG and dug further

Passenger side:

Dug further:

Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
It's a good thing I have one of these, thanks to Johnny Walker:

I was thinking of replacing just the two corners, attempting to replicate C. Nielson's work, but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the whole shelf? I've started removing the spot welds along the perimeter of the donor shelf:

Cut along this line maybe?

That would be just aft of the weld:

Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
300hp 1800lbs is the goal

Garage
Wait till you get to the rockers

Mine looked great, till I started sandblasting them.

ALL bondo baby.

The science was settled: Earth was flat.
Galileo : Flat Earth denier.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: