Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fatal Transmission Case Failure

I can't believe this. Today I found the mounting bracket on the transmission that holds and guides the clutch cable broken
How did that happen. It seems I am completely screwed
After I had changed the clutch cable and adjusted it I could not operate the clutch. So I went to see if I could adjust the cable a bit more to make the clutch work. When I tried to adjust the clutch cable housing lock nuts the bracket on the transmission just broke off
I tried to weld it but this is cast iron and the stuff melts quicker then you can watch. I could not get a strong connection. I finally tried to glue it with some wicked glue that is used in the airline industry. So let's see what happens.

But I think I will also try to build a support bracket across to hold the cable in place. I really don't feel like replacing an entire transmission case because of this. What was Porsche thinking designing a transmission case with such a weak component and make it out of cast iron.
I really hope I don't have to purchase a new transmission just because of this. This is stupid. If you look at the large bolt of the transmission cable I wonder why they designed such a weak bracket
And why use cast iron in the first place. What material is the G50? Will a G50 fit into a 1984 Carrera? Is the clutch cable construction the same on the G50?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The case should be aluminum, not cast iron.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
All Porsche transaxles are either Aluminum or Magnesium. Since you are still here to tell your story about welding, it is obvious you have the standard Aluminum 915 for your car. I have not heard of cast iron melting quickly, on the contrary, it is very heavy and takes alot of heat. Aluminum dissipates heat quickly so it needs high power input but it melts at a low temperature so it is easy to burn through. Do not try to weld Magnesium as it is very flammable in oxygen.

I would suggest putting down any torches or welding implements if you cannot tell that your transaxle is Aluminum, not cast iron.

The crossmember and chassis are steel and G50 cars have a bend piece of cast iron in the center of the torsion tube to accomodate the huge G50 box. You need new torsion bars and stuff then, and a new clutch. The G50 is also Aluminum.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
915-116-613-01-M100
@$20.25 From our host
Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah, just unscrew the two nuts, take the broken piece off and replace it.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Hm, interesting fix.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yes. Must be Alu. Not cast iron - stupid me. Not sure how I pulled cast iron out of hot air. Yes cast iron is very strong like my cast iron frying pan
Yes the Alu welding did not go that well. But the glue is very strong this morning. Anyways a nice experiment. But I got seriously worried yesterday. Thank god it's just a replacement part. Thank you everyone for sharing and the part number off course
I will order this part first thing Monday morning. I must say I am relieved now. Could not sleep to well tonight. Strange I did not see this was an easy replacement part.
I will sleep better tonight for sure

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: