Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Good to seen an update on your car. I did those b pillars last year and it was definitely challenging!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Thanks!

Today I finished off the B Pillars:

and removed the old insulation - it came out pretty clean. I have some small relatively loose patches of old insulation to remove, but I am going to glue carpet right over this area, so I am not going to try to remove all of the old glue.

I think tomorrow I will remove the seats and prep for the carpet installation.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

I can probably get you weights on the steel bumpers front and rear and the rear center panel within a week or two.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

The front steel bumper I bought is a dansk replacement (standard with fog light holes - 91150501105GRV) weighs about 24.5 lbs.

The top rear deck insulation pad I removed weighed in at 14.3lbs while the lower seat bad with insulation was 9.9lbs. That was an easy 24lbs of weight removal.

I pulled the seats today and removed the targa top. I need to remove seat belts and prep for carpet. The is a RS seat delete carpet kit. I may need to build up some of the rear seat are with foam now that I removed the factory insulation padding. I will have to see how it fits.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Yesterday I built up a few more areas with the soundproofing foam.

Today I got most of the carpet in...still have some details to take care of. The photos make it look lighter than it is - it is a dark charcoal salt and pepper look. I am not happy with how the side walls take carpet and the pieces I got. I might use the old vinyl sidewall and restore them. I like the look of the squareweave.

Other that the sidewalls, I need to do the footwell blower motor covers and the A post vinyl then install the sill strips I bought. Then I think I need some RS door cards.

Last edited by SpyderMike; 01-25-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

I don't like the cut of the Lakewell rear side carpet pieces, and I have yards of vinyl, so I am going to try recovering my rear sides in vinyl. I will also be going with the RS door cards in vinyl. Here are the upper rear side pieces done (about 30 minutes each):

The old vinyl side pieces in place to get a feel of the look:

The footwell blower pieces covered in carpet (about 30 minutes each):

And the new rubber "sleeve" installed. I will need to extend the rubber to cover the carpet hole or take some of the excess carpet and cut a doubler patch for the area between the seats.

Last edited by SpyderMike; 02-18-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Old 02-18-2016, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Fastest Hunk of Junk

Looking great! I love the weave on that carpet.
'95 BMW 540iT Euro (JDM)
'10 Mini Justa (hers)
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Got a good day in today. First I cut and glued the vinyl A pillar carpet up:

Then installed new aluminum door sill cover plates:

Then I installed the footwell blower covers (missing one screw). That was fun trying to hunt for the holes through the carpet:

Then I covered the rear sidewalls in new vinyl, and installed them to see if I like the look. I do.

Almost there - I need some RS door cards.

I then installed the seats. I need to get it road worthy and take it for a drive next....
Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Today, for some reason, I started taking apart the Targa inner pieces to get ready to install new foam and vinyl. Removal of the old vinyl and foam was easy by hand taking less than an hour.

Most of the grey foam came off in large sections...mostly it was just glued around the edges.

It was rather easy to remove the grey foam residue by rubbing with my fingers and thumb (and scraping lightly with my fingernails a few times):

There are a few places where I need to reglue the shaped foam back to the metal and a couple of small places I need to fill the foam:

Now I need to remove the old glue residue with some citristrip:
Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Really nice job on the carpet.

David
Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Nice job on the targa bar! Cant wait to see how it turns out!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Thanks guys! Today I started in on the foam and vinyl installation of the targa bar pieces. I got headliner material from Joann's for half price at $14.99 for two yards (because I might also do RS Door panels). This is 1/8" thick grey foam with a black material backing on one side. It is stretchy and strong....perfect. I also used a very strong headliner adhesive to glue it down.

I finished cleaning the boomerangs (by hand with finger abrasion; no solvents) and repairing one with contact cement:

I cleaned the removable targa liner with citristrip in the metal surfaces and by rubbing with my fingers on the foam side:

I am not reinstalling the dome light (useless), so I patched it with some left over sound deadening foam:

Then I glued the inside flat first:

Lastly, I trimmed it all around:
Old 02-21-2016, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Now I move over to the car and clean all the original glue residue with citristrip:

I taped off the area I only wanted to glue and made a cardboard spray template to control the glue:

I install the boomerangs with contact cement.

Then I glued the foam starting from the rear working across and then back to front (I used sections of the foam material that would overlap in the middle so I was only working on one half at a time. I trim it with scissors. The rear side trim doesn't need to be nice as it is covered by the targa bar insert panel:

Now I suck it up and mark the center of the single vinyl piece that will span the entire targa bar on the front side. I heat the vinyl up by putting it in the dryer for a few minutes. Then I glue it starting from the back to front starting in the corner. You have to work fast and accurately as you don't get a chance to reposition it:

The toughest spots are these corners. Luckily the vinyl was warm and stretchy. I will let it dry overnight and then trim the back side of the targa seal channel area and contact cement the vinyl in to secure it.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

So, a couple of hours in tonight. Man, these targas will keep you up at night. I was stressing the final vinyl overlay of the boomerangs...and wondering if I could design a simpler inside cover.

Anyway, thanks to stretchy vinyl and a little heat gun action, I had major success. The hardest part (I think) is now done. Not perfect, but done.

Using the same process as the other side, gluing back to front in stages, and using the heat gun in the front corner, it all came together.

I trimmed leaving alot of excess on the back side:

and then got cocky and test fit the new seal that will go in:

I still need to open the hole and install the center guide pin plate. I wonder where that is...
Old 02-22-2016, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
I really like the look of the charcoal squareweave. Did you purchase this as a kit? Where did you find it? Approximately how much? I'd like to do something similar on my 77 targa.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 02-22-2016, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMike View Post
Starting on the vinyl replacement for the B Pillars now. Ordered replacement foam and vinyl from Lakewell along with the squareweave carpet. The first task at hand was removing the old foam and glue off. The used 3M74 to put the new foam on and trimmed to fit:

Then I use contact cement on the backside of the edge of the car channel and put a strip of it on the corresponding back edge of the vinyl:

And then I tacked the two together using a clean popsicle stick and lightly clamped them together using popsicle sticks and clothes pins:

Tomorrow I will spray 3M74 on the foam and back of the vinyl and tack it down. I will then use the contact cement, popsicle stick, clothes pin method on the other edge. Lastly, I will trim excess with an Exacto knife.

I am debating whether I pull all the old heavy sound insulation from the rear or not...I am still not decided.

Here is a shot of a new carpet piece - charcoal squareweave:

Hello SpyderMike, I'm doing the same recover on my pillars as well. Can you please describe the foam used for this portion? Thickness, etc. pics maybe.

Also curious if your entire carpet kit has that rubber backing as shown on the pedal cover piece in this photo? I ordered my squareweeve from World Upholstery and it has no backing whatsoever on any of it.

Cheers and nice work!

85' 911 - Black
69' 911 - Signal Orange
Old 02-23-2016, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Moozak,

It was a kit from Lakewell in Belgium. A few months ago it cost : EUR 868 and the shipping for that and more items (vinyl, glue, some aluminum pieces, etc) was $125. It was one month from order to delivery. Be very detailed in what you need. I neglected to say that I was doing a center console delete and now I have to come up with a patch for between the seats. Also I would suggest ordering some extra carpet from the lot - for "just in case".

Jayboundless,

The floor pieces (front and rear left and right) and the center covering the tunnel front to back we are reinforced with cardboard like material and then the rubber bottom...super thick and seemingly super durable.

The foam was bought from Lakewell with the B Pillar trim kit. It is roughly 1/8" thick open cell foam. I could use the same headliner material from Joann's to do this as well. It just takes up any imperfections on the underlaying surfaces when applying the vinyl.

Mike
Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Okay, I finished up the underside targa vinyl removable section today. Whew. Used a heat gun and some fast hands to get that vinyl in place around the curves. I used headliner glue for vinyl to foam and vinyl to the straight sections of metal. I used contact cement for the ends and the vent cutout details. Some shots:

Next up, I restore the fresh air vents and then install this beast.

Last edited by SpyderMike; 02-23-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Keeping it rolling, I decided to revinyl the targa bar interior vents. I went to Home Depot and bought some screen material for less than $6. I bought the replacement vinyl already punched and rough cut by Lakewell. I used scissors to trim the screen to size (following the perimeter of the metal support plate). Then I tacked it in place with blue tape once I got everything lined up.

I used contact cement and an inexpensive plastic scraper to glue down the long sides:

Then I trimmed the short side and edges and glued them down.

Here is the front and the back:

With luck I will install them and the targa bar underneath panel tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

I finished with the rear of the car! Overlaying the old perforated vent covers on the new, with an Exacto blade I cut the holes for the seat belt swivel. I trimmed the hole with a knife. Then I pressed the vents into place and bent the metal tabs on back tight to the targa cover frame. Next I took a hole punch and punched out vinyl covering the two screw holes on each side that fasten this cover in place.

I sat on the back hump and positioned the cover to catch all of the tabs. It wasn't easy, and it took me about 5 minutes to get it situated. I worked from the center to one side and then fastened the two screw retaining it (not tight yet), then worked the other side. The new foam and vinyl make things puffy and parts need to be pushed together with force.

I then screwed in the four screws tight and sheared the final screw. Back out it came. I extracted the remains of the screw and cleaned up the holes with a drill bit. Then I tried again and got it fairly quickly. The rest went together real fast.

Here is the result:

Next I will move on to the doors. I will buy RS Panels already made from Appbiz and I will recover the door toppers in new vinyl.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: