Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I got the black harbor freight socket in there with a little angle work and then put on the Momo steering wheel on and and it has not been an issue since. I have had the wheel on and off several times now. It was a pain to get the black socket into the stock wheel but I only had to do it once.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Assuming you have a stock steering wheel, there should be no need to remove the plate. I had a bit if trouble with getting the right socket. I found that a short 1/2 inch drive 12 point 27mm Craftsman with a short wobble extension did the trick. I grabbed the wheel with one hand wrapped over the top and pulled the ratchet toward my belly with the other. That way if the ratchet slipped, I got a gut punch rather than a cracked windshield. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac View Post
I might be looking at your photo wrong but I would insert the socket the right way
Ernie
The obvious orientation didn't work either.
The photos were to show that other angles also don't work.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
I'm am lost, the socket goes in straight not sideways. From your last photo I cannot believe that that socket will not enter and remove the nut. Starting to believe your playing and if not I apologize and if I was near I would be more then happy to help
Ernie

Ernie 81 SC
Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Sugarwood,

FWIW, the socket that I believe I used for this exercise is a 1/2" drive, 12 pt tool that measures 1-13/32" idiameter, 1-5/8" tall.

When it's mounted to a 6" extension, you should be able to drop the socket through the opening in the steering wheel (it won't be lined up with the nut at that moment). Once it clears that metal frame, you should be able to center the socket over the nut, and the extension will line up vertically with the steering shaft. No wobblers or u-joints required.

At least that's how I remember it from three years ago, but of course senioritis is always lurking.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
This thread cracks me up.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobluforu View Post
+1

A normal 27mm 1/2 socket with an extension and a breaker bar. That's whats needed.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Safe---- the way this thread is going I feel it's time to bring the saws all out

Ernie

Ernie 81 SC
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe View Post
+1

A normal 27mm 1/2 socket with an extension and a breaker bar. That's whats needed.
I went to the garage and looked at mine. In my '85, with the same wheel this guy has, I used exactly the socket you're describing here. Bought it at Ace, so Craftsman.

No problem at all.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

Quote:
Anytime now, there'll be a "Show me your 27mm socket with extension while removing steering wheel!" picture threads.
2002 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo S (son's car--keeps wife sane)
Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

Quote:
Kind of sad isn't it?

Three pages dedicated to removing one nut.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Well, none of the directions anywhere said anything about only using the very smallest 27mm socket you can buy.
Amazon issued a refund without even asking me to send the Tekton socket back.

I went to Sears and bought a 27mm Craftsman, and it went straight into the cavity.
With the right socket, I got the new bushing installed without much trouble.
The C-clip was stubborn until I used end cutting pliers to grab the clip.

The new Pelican bushing seems to have removed the slop !

Last edited by sugarwood; 10-19-2014 at 10:17 AM..
Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Limited space.........

You might be able to use a 27mm crows foot socket. It is very short and drives from one side rather than the middle. Use a 6" extension and a breaker bar to loosen the nut. Once it is loose, you should be able to finish unscrewing it with your fingers.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Well, none of the directions anywhere said anything about only using the very smallest 27mm socket you can buy.
I dunno, I just kind of looked at it and knew it wasn't going to take a deep socket.

Sometimes, the directions don't include the most obvious kinds of stuff.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Holy Crap...is this thing still going on?
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 10-18-2014, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I think there's a few things going on here:

1. Threads on larger nuts always garner more attention
2. It's the nature and intention of the forum to offer knowledge and encouragement

Everyone has to start somewhere. I started at this exact place and was eager to help out as evidenced by my expert response earlier. I have now moved on to radio delete plates and gauge removal...things I never dreamed of tackling.

I can't offer any useful contribution on cam timing, ignition, wheel off set, etc. But like others, I enjoy helping out in my own way. This thread has a lot of that, which is good to see.

It is a pretty long thread on one nut though....I'll give you that!
Old 10-19-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Mechanics is in large part - skill in adapting and acquiring. Adapting as in using the tools at your disposal, sometimes creatively, often times not, to perform one-off procedures. Acquiring as in buying and/or collecting several variations of the same tool. As illustrated in this thread, more than one variation of a simple 27mm socket was needed to remove a relatively simple steering wheel nut. Congrats, sugarwood, for your new collection of 27mm sockets. Join the crowd. We all have similar stories.

At some future time, if that particular size socket is misplaced or long-ago loaned out, an equivalent tool will avoid tearing apart your garage you just rearranged in search of it. One of the basic laws of nature is that small and large inanimate objects will often go missing, only to reappear days or weeks later in plain sight where you originally left it. Having two or more of everything truly helps avoid the anguish.

Thus, a seasoned tech or DIY will have several drawers containing variations of straight and Phillips screwdrivers, several variations of 10mm and 13mm wrenches, several socket sets, ratchets and extensions in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive formats, umpteen hammers, pliers, etc. (we should discuss the minimum air tools needed in another thread).

In addition, the serious DIYer will accumulate a large number of "never-to-be-used" tools over one's lifetime just because they were included in a set, or they were particularly shiny and/or hi-tech, so you bought it. Not to worry. You'll eventually need one of them before you die. A friend of mine actually collects tools. He calls them "backups". You can too. At last count he has 20 backup corded and cordless drill motors. He's truly sick, like many of you here. You know who you are.

A basic tool kit suffices for most basic maintenance procedures. You know - the 72-piece, "all you'd ever need" tool kit from HF, Sams' Club or Walmart in it's own uber-organized plastic case. Acquiring an extra hammer then provides a valid reason to acquire a pro-type tool chest.

Missing that 13mm double square socket or need a special tool? Uh oh. Rather than beating yourself up, the workpiece, your kids or SO due to frustration, it's always (usually) more satisfying as well as more efficient to have the right tool for the task at hand. Unfortunately, there are lots of "right tools" for many tasks, all better and shinier than your original starter set. This is never a problem for a true car guy (aka tool hoarder) and a large tool storage box.... or several.

Sherwood
Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

This is a joke, right? 3 pages and 59 posts on removal of the steering wheel nut on a 911. Safe in post #47 has it right. Read it. Do it. It's simple.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin View Post
This is a joke, right? 3 pages and 59 posts on removal of the steering wheel nut on a 911. Safe in post #47 has it right. Read it. Do it. It's simple.
LOL, wasn't that simple.

My 27mm HF deep socket was too big.

Then I ordered a different 27mm short socket was also too big.

I borrowed a neighbor's 27mm, but that also didn't fit.

When everyone's saying "Just use 27mm", you start to think you're doing something wrong. But as 911pcars alluded to, 27mm sockets come in all shapes and sizes.

In the end, I ended up using an SAE 1 1/16" socket was in my Craftsman set the entire time!

Learning. It happens.

Last edited by sugarwood; 01-06-2015 at 06:40 AM..
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: