Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Finishing the Pelican Parts 911 RSR Tribute Project

Hello Pelicans!

We have begun working on our very own Porsche 911 RSR Tribute! We have started documentation on it and wanted to share it with the community.

The car was originally built by Tom Woodford under the direction of R Gruppe member Eade Hopkinson. It was also featured on the September 2005 cover of Excellence magazine back when it had a 3.6L Carbureted engine:

Now watch as we give it a new life.

The first thing we decided to indulge into was what engine we had that we are going to put into the RSR Tribute. We actually didn't know too much about it, but from what we could find the engine is a Nitsche. However, we aren't 100% sure. We first took it apart to replace the v/c gaskets and other items.

We then discovered the wiring harness was destroyed so we are making a custom replacement as the old current one is unlike many of the other wiring harnesses out there. The wiring harness that was originally in there was a bit unusual so this new one we are making will match the 14 pin connector of the vehicle.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

After this process we fit an old style 911 engine carrier to it. That required us to remove the 964 style vibration dampener and go to a Rothsport crank pulley. Before we put the engine in for fitment of the exhaust we put a Spec Stage 3 clutch in.

Rothsport crank pulley PEL-RS-142B - CLICK HERE
Spec Clutch Kits - CLICK HERE

Once the engine was put into the vehicle we determined what oil lines were needed. We decided to go with a Rothsport oil inlet adapter. For the exhaust, we believe it's from a genuine RSR as it looks very close. It required us bending the cross over oil pipe around and through the exhaust. We then determined what engine tin was needed. The tin we decided to go with is made by Sheridan Motorsports, which will require a quite a bit of modification to work. We are currently awaiting for the product to arrive to start the modification.

Sheridan Motorsports RSR-Style Fiberglass Engine Tin - CLICK HERE
Rothsport oil inlet adapter PEL-RS-145 - CLICK HERE

Right now we have taken the engine back out to button up a few other things while we wait for the tin. While the engine is out we will finish up some fabrication work and other things in order to install the mechanical fuel injection system. Be sure to check back to keep up to date with the build progress!

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 10-20-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Old 09-27-2016, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
man that car is so awesome! its good to see it again! can you post up some more pics lease ?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Titanium User

would you mind telling me what headers those are?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg567 View Post
They look like George's European Headers. They should have gone with a set of S-Car-Go headers. The tube lengths are fine on the George's but the collector is comparatively terrible and will reduce power. The muffler needs to be a reverse cone design which it isn't in this case. That will reduce power too.

The collector on the headers they removed were much better. They look like Burns collectors.

Here are S-Car-Go headers:

PCA GT-3R #3

Last edited by winders; 09-27-2016 at 01:43 PM..
Old 09-27-2016, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

That is one crazy animal. Cool stuff.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg567 View Post
We believe the full exhaust that we installed, including the headers, are from a genuine RSR.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Levi- View Post
man that car is so awesome! its good to see it again! can you post up some more pics lease ?
More coming soon so be sure to keep an eye out!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So is that an 89-98 era 3.6 motor fitted with slide valves and MFI? Or is it just MFI with tall horns...crazy cool either way.

Will this be a track car or street able?
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
We believe the full exhaust that we installed, including the headers, are from a genuine RSR.
Could be. George's European headers are a copy of the factory headers. Header technology has come allow way since the 1970's. Since the engine looks like a later 3.6 I would think the headers wouldn't have to be the same either. Either way it looks to be a great build.
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 09-28-2016, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Schleprock

Why remove the harmonic damper? I know it was done to make the original style engine mount console work. But i'd rather have the damper there to protect the crank like it's designed to do.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I recommend you contact user Timmy2 (aka Dennis) regarding a new wiring harness. He is very adept at making custom harnesses for Porsche vehicles and his work is very good.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

7.0:1 > 11.3:1 > 7.0:1

Garage
That intake system looks exotic Luccia, is it real RSR equipment?

I have a question regarding the back-date oil discharge line pictured on the engine. I bought one from pelican a couple years ago and found it collided with the right rear shock, which appears to be whats happening in your picture as well. I tried to re-orient the line before tightening up the fitting on the case but it made little to no difference in resolving the issue. I ended up using a torch to change the curvature of the line and moved the discharge end a couple inches rearwards, then I could also proceed to clamp it to the engine tin. Of course I ruined the cad plating where I heated it.

I suspected the line which I received came from a batch which might not have been bent perfectly but seeing this picture shows the same issue. Can someone look into this and give feedback?

I need to order another line in the next couple weeks.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
So is that an 89-98 era 3.6 motor fitted with slide valves and MFI? Or is it just MFI with tall horns...crazy cool either way.

Will this be a track car or street able?
The bottom end is a '92 and the valve train is all 964 stuff until you get up to mechanical fuel injection. It's not a slide valved it's just a normal mechanical fuel injection set up. And topped with some beautiful velocity stacks. It might go to the track every once and a while, but it'll definitely be a weekend warrior.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
Why remove the harmonic damper? I know it was done to make the original style engine mount console work. But i'd rather have the damper there to protect the crank like it's designed to do.
You make a good point, but the old school look is appealing to us.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
That intake system looks exotic Luccia, is it real RSR equipment?

I have a question regarding the back-date oil discharge line pictured on the engine. I bought one from pelican a couple years ago and found it collided with the right rear shock, which appears to be whats happening in your picture as well. I tried to re-orient the line before tightening up the fitting on the case but it made little to no difference in resolving the issue. I ended up using a torch to change the curvature of the line and moved the discharge end a couple inches rearwards, then I could also proceed to clamp it to the engine tin. Of course I ruined the cad plating where I heated it.

I suspected the line which I received came from a batch which might not have been bent perfectly but seeing this picture shows the same issue. Can someone look into this and give feedback?

I need to order another line in the next couple weeks.
We did have to push it a little bit up and a little bit towards the rear of the vehicle. When the vehicle is up in the air it touches, but when it's sitting on the ground it doesn't even come close to touching as there are a few inches of clearance.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Are the headers you took off for sale? If so PM me please!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
I recommend you contact user Timmy2 (aka Dennis) regarding a new wiring harness. He is very adept at making custom harnesses for Porsche vehicles and his work is very good.
Yes, we have spoken to him and are just deciding on if we are going to build it ourself or have him do it.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Schleprock

Quote:
You make a good point, but the old school look is appealing to us.
Read this and maybe you'll reconsider. The folks who used that engine in an RSR left the damper on there for a reason, despite it being a detractor from ultimate performance.

Porsche 6 Cyl Harmonic Engine Failure – performancedevelopments.com
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
Read this and maybe you'll reconsider. The folks who used that engine in an RSR left the damper on there for a reason, despite it being a detractor from ultimate performance.

Porsche 6 Cyl Harmonic Engine Failure performancedevelopments.com
The reality of the situation is that very few race engines using the 964 crankshaft keep the harmonic balancer. My race engine had the balancer but we decided to remove it because we wanted to slow down the fan some by going to a 125mm pulley. Before we did this I did some checking with guys that build 100+ HP per liter race engines to get their take on it. All of them said removing the harmonic balancer was not a problem.

PCA GT-3R #3
Old 09-30-2016, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: