Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.37 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

jyl,I read in one of the threads I founf on my search that Alois Ruf admitted that the NACA duct did not not in the way we might envision it to fuction. It actually pulled air out of the engine bay. I think this might have something to do with the higher pressure inside the engine bay inherent in the design of the 911 shape, butlets not deverge. (there were a flurry of e-mails regarding this topic on Rennlist. If you're interested, go do a search on the archive there).

Jupiter, Thanks. It looked like a blurp on Ruf through some tourism site eventhough my German is only good for ordering Beer...(how do you say Guinness in German?

Chris, That bumper (w/o adjusting the levels to reveal the details) looks like a Fiberwerks front. It is possibly a good "modern" take on the bumper cap that RUF started. Looks good on that black car. It must be local...I'd like to see it one day.

Eric, that yellow one you posted looks like a 72 (with the oil filler on the passenger rear quarter. I saved those pictures too. They may have done the conversion on a 72 with SC flares.

IMONBOOST, I agree that safety is an issue, but I don't drive my car that often and the kids know to stay away from the car when it's in the driveway or garage...oh my do they know. I get your point however; I plan to fabricate an aluminum subframe for concern. We'll see how much my contractors will want for such a job..Pipeline contractors can do some nice welding jobs.

turbo6bar, I saved that picture of the white car which I call the Cargraphic car, as Eric pointed out it is in/on their catalog. Although I sent a catalog request and they replied that it is being updated so no catalogs for a while.

Well! Now back to work for a while.

Last edited by MotoSook; 01-21-2003 at 07:34 AM..
Old 01-21-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Eric, that yellow ono you posted looks like a 72 (with the oil filler on the passenger rear quarter. I saved those pictures too. They may have done the conversion on a 72 with SC flares.

Souk,
Nope If you go to the guys website he talks about how he had the SC and had if converted over to YB spec.. and had the oil tank filler..He is selling the car ...but he says he had it done on an SC tub..

Eric
78SC

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-21-2003, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

With all the hype about not having matching f/r tail and spoiler, why would Ruf not have a splitter or something on the front of the YB? Seems that a car that really can go 200+ MPH would need it more than the rest of us that only approach 150+.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something in the pics?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

What? Why did he add the filler on an SC? I'll have to check the site again. I'm such a skeptic.

So you like the round intakes on that yellow one I posted? I have been cooking up a plan in my head to make a f-glass insert to mimic the look....a little wax and some carving and voila! (you should have seen the intake manifold with integrated runners we made for the SAE car I worked on in college, c'est un piece de resistance! w/ Pro-E drawing to boot)
Old 01-21-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

hahah YEP .. I agree I was shocked to hear it was an SC as well.. Bt the 1st YB has it as well and it's on a 86 Carrera tub.. they put them on.. which is cool.
I DO like the round ducts.. I would do as you mentioned and leave the square housing and simply insert a duct fitting.. .. I'll have to see .but I am thinking I will leave mine square..
Eric Mckenna
78SC

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".
Old 01-21-2003, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Souk,
After looking at the pic's again.. I am going to stay with the square light holes... I will place some nice bright driving lights in there and slap my yellow H1 french lens back on.. I love theose things.. they look geat on my car was well.

Eric

Old 01-21-2003, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
78SC, 2325 lbs. Glass front bumper cap from MA Shaw installed w/o bumper shocks or nerf bars. Rear is a GT Racing IROC bumper, again w/o bumper shocks. The driving lights were used as brake ducts/fender oil cooler air inlet. The front now has a 25x6x2 oil cooler plumbed in series wit hthe fender unit. And yes, the YB had about 1/4" wider flares than the SC type.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kailo\'s 121202.jpg (27.5 KB, 5290 views)
Old 01-21-2003, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Here is the original, from Ruf's web page.

You can see the oil filler door pretty clearly.

Don't forget, you will also need to shave the rain gutters.

Ruf has some info, as well as an article from "911 and Porsche World" here:
http://www.ruf-automobile.de/english/meilensteine/ctr/ctr.htm

Tom
GTI Cup #43
Old 01-21-2003, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
what about a splitter and brake ducts aka the 964
Attached Images
File Type: jpg netp1.jpg (63.0 KB, 5167 views)
Old 01-21-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by magilla
With all the hype about not having matching f/r tail and spoiler, why would Ruf not have a splitter or something on the front of the YB? Seems that a car that really can go 200+ MPH would need it more than the rest of us that only approach 150+.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something in the pics?

I've seen several CTRs with a small rubber front spoiler hiding under the front bumper.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

If you follow one of the links to an earlier thread, you'll see that there is Ruf part that is added to the underside of the cap. Bill V has an authentic Ruf rubber "lip" on his car. In one of the pictures I posted, you can clearly see the rubber lip.

Anyone know why Ruf put the oil filler on the right rear quarter?

I'm not planning on going far beyond the front and rear bumpers with the conversion yet, but the rain gutter note above is good for the thread.

The second post (history) was pasted from a site that had the specs for the YB, but you'll see the guy mentions his puzzlement over the top speed advantage of the YB over the 959. Removal of the rain gutters and the small mirrors (did they run with them?) gave the YB it's top speed advantage for the test. I remember reading the article back them and was amazed that such a small change could reduce the car's drag so much...then I went to engineering school and learned about frontal area and aerodynamic drag.

Last edited by MotoSook; 01-21-2003 at 09:57 AM..
Old 01-21-2003, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Oh, yeah, I guess I see it. It doesn't seem very aggressive, does it? It must do the job, though.

Yet more proof that size doesn't matter.

Old 01-21-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Souk
Anyone know why Ruf put the oil filler on the right rear quarter?
Possibly the same reason Porsche did in 72, polar moment of inertia. Or, it could be they had to move the oil tank to make room for the intercooler on that side.

Tom
GTI Cup #43
Old 01-21-2003, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

IMONBOOST, regarding your earlier post, there was a great write-up on the RUF Btr some years ago in Sports Car International, and yes, the SC/Carrera flares were slightly reshaped in the rear to allow for the 10" wide Ruf alloys. Seems the narrow-bodied cars punch a much cleaner hole in the air than the turbo bodies at 150mph and above, the cars were so "trick" having shaved rain gutters, usually only one Ruf mirror. on drivers side, as well as the beautiful nose piece, all these little details (not to mention HP from God) these land rockets could do 200MPH ! Cars like this give us all something to live for!! Doug Kubany
Old 01-21-2003, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Just to reiterate from previous threads. I used and am very happy with the caps from BW Motorsports(618-622-0524 no web page that I know of), they are located in O'Fallon, Ill and are great folks to deal w/. Brad Stubbs the proprietor is extremely helpful.

Front

The rubber lip attached below the f/g bumper cap is a Ruf part which is nla, but could be easily replicated. This lip is included as part of the molding of the p/u spoiler which looks the same but bolts under the stock al. bumper. I like the idea of p/u but hated the stock bellows so f/g cap it is.

Rear

Neither bumper uses the stock bumper mounts, the rear does use the stock struts behind the rear wheels. The bumpers are fastened w/ small bolt, nut, washers drilled verticaly through the fender and f/g flanges and a few blind nuts into the front bulkhead. The welting used between the f/g and the fenders is a 930 part, 999 911 205 40, 76-80930 bumper welting, which comes in 5m long rolls, 1 roll for both bumpers. The grills are stock SC engine grills cut and bolted to the f/g. The bumpers have proved to be are quite sturdy and have survived a couple of off road excursions.

Beneath the caps but in no way connected to them are f/r nerf bars. I had intended to make them from al. (still have the raw material) but used steel because of time constraints( I can cut and weld steel w/a mig but need to learn more about al. The euro cars used non-hydraulic bumper struts which are used to connect the nerf bars to the chassis. The rear struts were moved to the front and the fronts were shortened a few inches and moved to the rear(the eurorstruts are available reasonably aftermarket but not necessary. They do make life easy though). It was suggested but never investigated that 964 al. inner bumper bars would also work in that capacity. The front nerf bar does double duty as a perfect place to mount the front oil cooler.

BW's pieces included all of the pieces necessary to bolt the stock turn signal boxes into the provided openings. To those unfamiliar w/ them the wiring is a bit convoluted so take good notes and mark wire securely before /during disassembly. I invented a special tool to reach the nuts from below the car. For those interested I willl try to remember to take and post a pic.

Was it worth it? an unqualified YES!! The appearance alone is worth it, I knew from the day I bought it that the oem bumpers had to go. If appearance isn't important to you then the weight savings and the favorable effect on chassis dynamics are.

Some additional comments
  • the NACA ducts were a failure according to Alois himself
  • the rear fenders were widened ~1" by welding sheetmetal into a stock SC/Carrera flare
  • the extra 1" was to get the 10" Speedline rear wheels to fit, this can also be accomplished by choosing different wheels w/ appropriate o/s
  • the front tires were relatively narrow by modern standards again because of the o/s on the Speedlines
  • the oil tank was moved to get better weight dist and to provide room for the turbos and exhaust plumbing(more for the latter than the former) you could also use a '72 setup, or a 964/993 setup or a front trunk mounted oil tank to accomplish the same

Souk, if it was my car I would do the flares and bumper at one time to reduce wasted labor. These days the flares(even steel which I recommend) are glued on rather than welded, this reduces the cost of labor a lot. The steel flares are only ~$300 last I checked. If you need to cut costs leave the sills alone. Also keep in mind that the cap reduces flow of air thru the front fender mounted cooler, plan on ducting from the driving light hole to compensate.

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 01-02-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-21-2003, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Bill, I was going to start shouting if you didn't post soon. I know this is redundant for you, but it is great information. Thanks for taking the time.

As for the flares, I'm still debating. And I definitely agree with the time/labor saving aspect. I'll have to go over to one of the scrap yards that have 911's and see if I can score a set of SC flares. I have 205/50's on the rear right now, so unless I go racing, I think they will provide enough grip for me. But you never know.

I also think (maybe it's an excuse for being cheap) that keeping the narrow body is in keeping with the spirit of the YB. Tight and narrow is good for top speed (man what an excuse for being cheap), and it might give it a nice smooth flow.

If anyone wants to donate or give me a great deal on SC flares, I'll be so greatful (Someday you can come ask me to do YOU a favor, Godfather.).
Old 01-21-2003, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
Souk.

I have a set of Carrera flares that I would let go for $100 plus shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00422a.jpg (31.7 KB, 5013 views)

Last edited by Slider79SC; 01-21-2003 at 02:22 PM..
Old 01-21-2003, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Limbo

Garage
Another view of the flares
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00421a.jpg (23.3 KB, 4981 views)
Old 01-21-2003, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
I have always loved the 9" rear SC/ Carrera flares and clean bumpers. I replaced the 1/4 panels on my '72 as soon as they became available and the bumpers on the '76 were changed as soon as was practical.

I also love the 9" and 11" 930 flares but have reservations when used on a street car(probably just rationalizing here but w/ a bit of truth)

If you need some specific shots or info let me know, always happy to help.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: